Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-09-2019, 16:16   #1
Salthillprom

Will registers

Can anyone advise me what the 'event year' is for the wills in the Wills Registers on the National Archives website please? I tried contacting them last week but didn't get a response. There's also a death year and grant year listed, which are self evident. But the event year is what I'm wondering about. Thanks
Advertisement
02-09-2019, 19:50   #2
Hermy

You might find the answer by looking at the linked image and seeing what the event year corresponds to.
I'd guess it's the year the will was written.
02-09-2019, 20:55   #3
Salthillprom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
You might find the answer by looking at the linked image and seeing what the event year corresponds to.
I'd guess it's the year the will was written.
Thanks but I have tried that and the year varies for the documents I'm checking. Some might be the will year but for others it corresponds with death date. For others it doesn't. Puzzling.
02-09-2019, 20:59   #4
pinkypinky

Did you leave a message or send an email?

They can be a little slow to respond but generally do. I left a voicemail last week, was called back 2 days later and then they followed up today.

I was right about the Monalahy and Newcastle 1901 records being missed out of the digital census.
02-09-2019, 23:01   #5
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salthillprom View Post
Thanks but I have tried that and the year varies for the documents I'm checking. Some might be the will year but for others it corresponds with death date. For others it doesn't. Puzzling.
That could be down to the whim off the transcriber.

In which case I would ignore the transcription and focus on the contents of the image.
Advertisement
04-09-2019, 20:36   #6
Salthillprom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
That could be down to the whim off the transcriber.

In which case I would ignore the transcription and focus on the contents of the image.
Yes, I know it could be down to the transcriber. I'm continually correcting transcriptions. I'll ring them again. Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion