Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tablet or Ebook?

• 26-09-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, but most likely Glasso ;)

I'm looking for either a tablet or some kind of reading slate for use for college?
    Leaning towards a tablet with Amoled screen and high Res to ensure reading comfort.

A tablet will allow much more flexible use, but an e-ink slate or similar might be lighter or more legible.

Previous tablet was a note 10.1 2014, and I loved it but it has now gone to the great tablet heaven in the sky.

What's the verdict, what's recommended?
    Could stretch to €250 max.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I recommend the new Samsung Tab A 8" - comes with an S-Pen (esp. useful for college) and nice form factor / size for your needs.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-8-sm-p200-3gb-32gb-wifi-black.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

advertsfox wrote: »
    I recommend the new Samsung Tab A 8" - comes with an S-Pen (esp. useful for college) and nice form factor / size for your needs.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-8-sm-p200-3gb-32gb-wifi-black.html

Thanks, ticks all the boxes really and has LTE version available too.

advertsfox wrote: »

that's a good shout if you would find the s-pen handy for taking notes.

and in general it's a tablet with decent specs.

in terms of e-books vs tablets, tablets are much better for reading pdfs

ebooks are fine for simple books with text only

re lte I would just share wifi from your phone as then you don't need a dedicated sim card for the tablet

but tablets offer a lot more in terms of apps that you might find handy for college etc.

get a decent bluetooth keyboard like this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32977155478.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.42582e0ey8Yo0n

and you have a lot of capabilities for a small size

I find this sort of case the handiest for tablets

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Absorption-Protective-Smartphone-Release/dp/B075JCVJRH/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=SM-P200+folio&qid=1569507368&s=electronics&sr=1-4

disregard negative review as they obviously ordered the wrong case for their tablet

(there is an 8 inch non-spen tablet also)

glasso wrote: »
    I find this sort of case the handiest for tablets

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Absorption-Protective-Smartphone-Release/dp/B075JCVJRH/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=SM-P200+folio&qid=1569507368&s=electronics&sr=1-4

disregard negative review as they obviously ordered the wrong case for their tablet

(there is an 8 inch non-spen tablet also)

Just a thank you for the case recommendation!
    Really quality case at a ridiculous price and delivered next day ;)

Now hopefully EGlobal can deliver quick too.

• Advertisement

There really isnt an argument of ebook versus tablet. It's really not and either/or situation. I have both and use both for very different things. For reading just text, an e-book reader beats everything else. For reading magazines, books with graphics, video then a tablet is a must.

Any chance the budget could stretch to both? You'll get a 4th generation kindle in CEX for 35 euros.

There really isnt an argument of ebook versus tablet. It's really not and either/or situation. I have both and use both for very different things. For reading just text, an e-book reader beats everything else. For reading magazines, books with graphics, video then a tablet is a must.

Any chance the budget could stretch to both? You'll get a 4th generation kindle in CEX for 35 euros.

I'd agree that e-ink screens are fantastically legible in nearly all conditions so on that point I'd agree with you re: a reader.

2 devices is going against what I want really tho.
    A good HD screen, running dark mode particularly for the reading app will I think hit what I want.
    Ideally with a tablet for this, I can keep my notes and associated annotation all on a single device and backup.

I've picked up the the Tab 8 S-pen recommended above and whilst its not an amoled screen, at the price and for what I want it to do I am hoping that it will tick the boxes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think I'd be able to read a book on a tablet, the screen, even with the blue light filter on would be too harsh, that and I'd say the battery would be hammered being left on the whole time, I have a Kindle for reading books and it's brilliant, well worth having a seperate device.

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't think I'd be able to read a book on a tablet, the screen, even with the blue light filter on would be too harsh, that and I'd say the battery would be hammered being left on the whole time, I have a Kindle for reading books and it's brilliant, well worth having a seperate device.

I do the vast majority of my reading these days on tablet, well I did until I smashed my 2014 note.
    Amoled goes a long way towards eliminating blue light issue, as does blue light filter.
    If its text only tho, I do find that setting the reading app to Dark mode/Negative mode (white txt/black background) works great but if there are images it doesnt work too well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I must give it a try, what app would you recommend???

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I must give it a try, what app would you recommend???

I use Moon reader pro, works a treat.
    Had used Aldiko too and it's quite good along with Perfect viewer for comics but I replaced both with Moon reader to good effect.
    Very customisable and lots of storage and back up options.

Just dropping an update here after a week or so with the Tab 8.0 s-pen edition.
    I certainly made the right choice IMO and thanks the poster who suggested this model.

Perfect size for reading, and the new Samsung UI Android one is far less intrusive than touchwiz.
    That said, I'm using Nova and it's running butter smooth with even S-pen functions running great.

.pdf annotation, notes and general browsing and media are all brilliant.
    Screen size even works out quite well for searching legal databases, which are a nightmare on a phone and when I don't always have a laptop with me, it makes a great and very useful all in one device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

banie01 wrote: »
    Just dropping an update here after a week or so with the Tab 8.0 s-pen edition.
    I certainly made the right choice IMO and thanks the poster who suggested this model.

Perfect size for reading, and the new Samsung UI Android one is far less intrusive than touchwiz.
    That said, I'm using Nova and it's running butter smooth with even S-pen functions running great.

.pdf annotation, notes and general browsing and media are all brilliant.
    Screen size even works out quite well for searching legal databases, which are a nightmare on a phone and when I don't always have a laptop with me, it makes a great and very useful all in one device.
    Delighted to hear your happy with the recommendation. I actually bought one for my 5 year old daughter who loves messing with my wife's Tab 4 so this is the best compromise. I'm tempted to get one now myself for learning, books and some PS Remote Play!

Advertisement