Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-07-2019, 20:24   #1
Jellybaby1

Finding common names in newspapers

I just looked at Irish News Archive's explanation how to use the site, by using the name 'Michael Collins'. Now if I was searching for information on MY Michael Collins, who was not THE Michael Collins, I'd get so much information I wouldn't know how to filter out all the political stuff in order to get my Michael Collins' death notice. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 21:38   #2
kildarejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
I just looked at Irish News Archive's explanation how to use the site, by using the name 'Michael Collins'. Now if I was searching for information on MY Michael Collins, who was not THE Michael Collins, I'd get so much information I wouldn't know how to filter out all the political stuff in order to get my Michael Collins' death notice. Any suggestions?
You could try using the NEAR operator. So if you know the town or townland your MC was from, put in Michael Collins <NEAR> Ballycollins
Thanks from:
20-07-2019, 22:43   #3
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
If you know when your Michael Collins died you can manually navigate to the specific newspaper which is often quicker than searching, even when looking for less common terms.
Thanks from:
20-07-2019, 23:51   #4
Jellybaby1

Thanks. I try those suggestions, see what turns up.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion