Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brief window for snow in Eastern and Northern Counties - Jan 1st, 2nd

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Uppers causing these showers are only -5c
    Relentless cold rain & hail in Arklow for the last hour Quite vile

Those Streamers showing up well on the Sat Pic today.

0T3GhJq.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well I certainly called it wrong with the back edge snow.
    Met Eireann spot on.

Still chances of coastal snow showers tonight and tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow Grains falling in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Cold wet rain on the coast here in North County Dublin

Hail shower just there, north Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Caught a streamer here ins NE Carlow but with temp of 2.8c and dew point of 1.5c it's rain

Those hail pellets falling again here in Kildare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

9qnxDqn.png?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Absolute downpour here the last half hour of pure sleet rattling against the windows with a howling wind
    Pretty sure the nearby hills will be white in the morning from this one

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sorry guys, was trying to bring some new years cheer :( Venture up to Wicklow, you will see a dusting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I thought the temperatures were expected to be colder than this?

5c in Dublin,
    2c in Cork,
    1c in Shannon!

There isn't a subzero station on Met Eireann!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Low of -2.2c at mine this morning

I'm down to -2.7 with a decent frost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

-0.2C in Galway city

No frost here,too much sea wind
    2.1c now though
    Lugnaquilla is white from head to toe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

ArKl0w wrote: »
    No frost here,too much sea wind
    2.1c now though
    Lugnaquilla is white from head to toe

Any pics?

Any pics?

Nope,no zoom on an iPhone

These are from today in the Wicklow mtns that appeared in my Facebook feed

You can see snow on lug in the distance on one of them
    There also appears to be a dusting on kippure and high up elsewhere

pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Going to bed last nite the place was white with frost and now 8:45am it's all gone melted :( I love waking up to frosty mornings. Didn't think it would be gone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Going to bed last nite the place was white with frost and now 8:45am it's all gone melted :( I love waking up to frosty mornings. Didn't think it would be gone already.

Yep, same here too in North county Dublin. The car was thick with frost last night at around 8pm, and I went out driving and returned about 40 minutes later and the car was thawed. By midnight it was fully frozen again, and this morning at 7am, it was again thawed. Clearly the temps went above freezing last night along the coast.

Stayed frosty all night here
    Currently +0.5c

Meanwhile that beautiful artic airmass that we've been looking at over Scandinavia this past few weeks is about to spread south over all of Europe
    Rome will have its 2nd bout of deep snow in 3 or 4 years

• Advertisement

It would make u sick when u see how cold south Europe is this week and the amount of snow they will get. Only thing is we'll have a chance right up to mid march to get some snow but by march the sun is so strong and melts it quickly. Don't write winter off just yet but nothing to get excited about for the next 7 to 10 days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It would make u sick when u see how cold south Europe is this week and the amount of snow they will get. Only thing is we'll have a chance right up to mid march to get some snow but by march the sun is so strong and melts it quickly. Don't write winter off just yet but nothing to get excited about for the next 7 to 10 days

The eastern Med see's proper snow almost more regularly now than Ireland. It's mad to think that a country this far north has not seen measurable snow for 6 years in most eastern and southern parts.

I always think that once we hit the 3rd week of February, it's time to stop looking into the FI dreaming and hoping. March lying snow rarely makes it past noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Gonzo wrote: »
    The eastern Med see's proper snow almost more regularly now than Ireland. It's mad to think that a country this far north has not seen measurable snow for 6 years in most eastern and southern parts.

I always think that once we hit the 3rd week of February, it's time to stop looking into the FI dreaming and hoping. March lying snow rarely makes it past noon.

In March 2013 there was lying snow at sea level for over a week in Belfast and a full month on higher ground. Needs to be an exceptional event of course but it's definitely still possible

Gonzo wrote: »

Twice in my lifetime locally ((and obviously the NI example mentioned above)

March 1978 and again on paddys week one year in the 80's not sure which
    The 1978 snow was particularly bad in East Wicklow and East Wexford from a stalled front with a good 8 inches settled for over a week in a freeze

So it is possible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember one time during the 80s, could have been 1985 or 1986 where we woke up to about 10 inchs of snow during April, was still snowing when I woke up for School (naturally school got cancelled), but the sun came out around 10am and by 4pm there was only about an inch or two left on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Early March 1995 brought a three day spell of snow to Co. Sligo. Although there was a slight thaw during the day, frequent heavy prolonged snow showers topped up what was melting. I clearly remember being in the fields by the seashore feeding sheep on one of the afternoons and there was a strong wind and seeing actual drifting snow. Even in heavy snowfalls in Ireland, to see snow drifting is a rare thing apart from on high ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

A stranger to this thread would look and see 5 pages and think somewhere must have got pasted with snow. Should the title be amended to reminisces of snow in Ireland 1970-2016?

A stranger to this thread would look and see 5 pages and think somewhere must have got pasted with snow. Should the title be amended to reminisces of snow in Ireland 1970-2016?
    Yep, time to close this page ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You know the winter has been boring when the threads are full of reminiscence of past events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I don't want any snow.

Advertisement