Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-03-2012, 20:29   #16
Rebelheart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Archer View Post
Well Galway has a thread, Mayo has one, even Cavan has one so why not us?

Two one point defeats in a row means we're back into relegation trouble especially if we lose to Derry next week. Having said that, beat Derry next week and promotion is still a (remote) possibility. Joe Sheridan leaving for the States certainly isn't going to help.
Thought the performance yesterday was easily the worst of the league. Our away form is killing us still.
hehe.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-03-2012, 16:54   #17
The Showstopper

Shocking performance and a poor crowd. We looked clueless and the management team didn't know what to do.
18-03-2012, 18:17   #18
Hammer Archer

Mod: GAA, ZTest
Absolute disgrace alright. Very much back in the relegation scrap especially seeing as a loss next Saturday is almost guaranteed. Hit 15 wides supposedly. I'm beginning to think a trip down to division 3 wouldn't be all that bad for us. It seems that's our level now.

And I too was very surprised with the crowd. Pretty sure more turned up for all 3 O'Byrne Cup games in January.
But I'll make the trip to Omagh next Saturday. Glutton for punishment I am.
19-03-2012, 12:51   #19
Pighead
sucks at stalking

Quote:
Absolute disgrace alright. Very much back in the relegation scrap especially seeing as a loss next Saturday is almost guaranteed.
You may be lucky in that there is a chance Tyrone may give their fringe players a game against your lot. They are pretty much guaranteed to finish top no matter what happens from here on in so Harte may take the last two games to check out his fringe players.
Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 16:17   #20
Royal Seahawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pighead View Post
You may be lucky in that there is a chance Tyrone may give their fringe players a game against your lot. They are pretty much guaranteed to finish top no matter what happens from here on in so Harte may take the last two games to check out his fringe players.
To be honest I'd still fancy Tyrone's fringe players to beat this current Meath side, we're beyond useless at the moment.
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 20:29   #21
Royal Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Seahawk View Post
To be honest I'd still fancy Tyrone's fringe players to beat this current Meath side, we're beyond useless at the moment.
Firstly whether we pick up this year or not, I am and never would be in favour of an outside manager, and I watched enough of his previous team to see that his tactics were negative and anti football, the Meath managers job is a Meathmans position, always has, always will be.

Secondly, going back to an old chesnut of mine, we have issues with the development of football within the county, we have gone backwards. One problem that existed a few years ago was the division of the boards. I remember a few years ago we had a decent panel of talented players at u14 level, but when they got to minor, the minor board took over and put their own man in charge, much to the detriment of that particular bunch of players.

I am out of the county a good while, but i keep upto date with what is happening and go to as many league and championship matches as possible, its disappointing that after our previous success we seem to have took the eye of the ball and slipped backwards.
20-03-2012, 17:54   #22
Royal Seahawk

While I'm not Banty's biggest fan I don't really hold him responsible for the last few results. The players aren't there at the moment, simple as that, not much a manager can do about that.
20-03-2012, 18:30   #23
Hammer Archer

Quote:
While I'm not Banty's biggest fan I don't really hold him responsible for the last few results. The players aren't there at the moment, simple as that, not much a manager can do about that.
Personally, I would hold him largely responsible. A lot of this team won the Leinster in 2010 (yes they did) and got to an All Ireland semi in 2009. I'm not saying they're world beaters or anything, but they certainly should be good enough to beat Galway and a Derry team crippled with injuries.

The system he is getting the team to play is ludicrous. Too much short, lateral handpassing without going anywhere. And how long does he have to play a two man full forward line to realise it's not working? At one stage when we were attacking on Sunday, Gilsenan and Ward were inside the 21 and there was no other Meath player between them and Derry's 65. Acres of space available but no one in it. This wasn't just apparent during the Derry game, it's happened in every game this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Legend View Post
Secondly, going back to an old chesnut of mine, we have issues with the development of football within the county, we have gone backwards. One problem that existed a few years ago was the division of the boards. I remember a few years ago we had a decent panel of talented players at u14 level, but when they got to minor, the minor board took over and put their own man in charge, much to the detriment of that particular bunch of players
Think you've hit the nail on the head with that. Haven't been in a Minor All Ireland final since 2002 and U21's have barely won a game recently. I think a lot of the problem is that the same guys have been in charge in the County Board for donkey's years. It really needs to be freshened up with some young blood and new ideas.
20-03-2012, 20:09   #24
Royal Legend

Quote:
Personally, I would hold him largely responsible. A lot of this team won the Leinster in 2010 (yes they did) and got to an All Ireland semi in 2009. I'm not saying they're world beaters or anything, but they certainly should be good enough to beat Galway and a Derry team crippled with injuries.

The system he is getting the team to play is ludicrous. Too much short, lateral handpassing without going anywhere. And how long does he have to play a two man full forward line to realise it's not working? At one stage when we were attacking on Sunday, Gilsenan and Ward were inside the 21 and there was no other Meath player between them and Derry's 65. Acres of space available but no one in it. This wasn't just apparent during the Derry game, it's happened in every game this year.

Think you've hit the nail on the head with that. Haven't been in a Minor All Ireland final since 2002 and U21's have barely won a game recently. I think a lot of the problem is that the same guys have been in charge in the County Board for donkey's years. It really needs to be freshened up with some young blood and new ideas.
We are a footballing county with a proud tradition, and our previous successes are not that old. Between 86 and 2001 we had a championship record comparible to Kerry, we went through a lull in the early 90's and looking back, people should have put more faith in Sean Boylan to turn it around. I also think that Boylan's comment about the back door system was also 100% accurate, in that it creates an air of, well we can afford to lose one match and still be in the championship. The back door has not suited Meath.
In years gone by we were able to peak for a Leinster final and then put all our effort into an All Ireland Semi final and final. We always turned into a different animal when we got to the semi finals.
If we are not careful, we could go the way of Cavan and be remisising about All Irelands from 60 years ago
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 21:18   #25
Royal Seahawk

Quote:

Cian Ward got plenty of supply against Galway and did nothing with it. Easy balls slipping through his hands isn't Banty's fault. Yeah, we got to a semi final in 2009 but we got a handy run through the qualifiers before we beat Mayo thanks in part to an excellent performance by David Bray who is currently injured. We have no decent midfielders in the county since Cindy retired. Mark Ward is on the panel now SEVEN years and I can't think of a game which he grabbed by the scruff of the neck. It's actually embarrassing watching Meath at midfield these days.

Of course Banty as manager will be seen as partly responsible for our recent terrible performances but I'm not buying into the theory that the entire buck stops with him. Our players aren't of the ability we're used to seeing from Meath teams in the past and that is something that even the most ardent anti-Banty campaigner has to accept.
22-03-2012, 00:02   #26
Hammer Archer

Quote:
Cian Ward got plenty of supply against Galway and did nothing with it. Easy balls slipping through his hands isn't Banty's fault. Yeah, we got to a semi final in 2009 but we got a handy run through the qualifiers before we beat Mayo thanks in part to an excellent performance by David Bray who is currently injured. We have no decent midfielders in the county since Cindy retired. Mark Ward is on the panel now SEVEN years and I can't think of a game which he grabbed by the scruff of the neck. It's actually embarrassing watching Meath at midfield these days.

Of course Banty as manager will be seen as partly responsible for our recent terrible performances but I'm not buying into the theory that the entire buck stops with him. Our players aren't of the ability we're used to seeing from Meath teams in the past and that is something that even the most ardent anti-Banty campaigner has to accept.
I disagree that Ward got lots of support against Galway. It's been him and Gilsenan in the full forward line for the entire league. Again, like against Derry at the weekend, balls were played up to both Ward and Gilsenan and there were no other Meath players within 30 or 40 yards. This is the problem with the two wing forwards playing in defence and Stephen Bray roaming all over the pitch. There were always 2 or 3 extra defenders on hand to cover both forwards which made it extremely difficult for them do do anything. And to be fair on Cian Ward, he was the only forward to score a point from play against Galway.

No I don't think it's entirely Banty's fault, the players have to take responsibility as well (especially for the 15 wides they hit on Sunday) and only a complete and utter eejit would suggest our players are anywhere near the levels of our past teams. However, like I said, I do feel we have the ability to beat Galway and a crippled Derry side but the system of football (if you could call it that) the manager is playing at the moment makes it so much more difficult.
22-03-2012, 20:42   #27
rpurfield

lads as has been said weve won nothing at underage for years and the mentality is not there with lads coming through to the senior team.add that to the fact that the way the championships are run in the county, which i reckon takes the competitive edge off them and thats why were gone to pot.were years away from where we all want to be if ya ask me
23-03-2012, 14:48   #28
Hammer Archer

Team for tomorrow:
Quote:
David Gallagher
Mickey Burke
Kevin Reilly
Caoimhin King
Shane McAnarney
Bryan Menton
Donnacha Tobin
Tom Walsh
Mark Ward
Seamus Kenny
Stephen Bray
Graham Reilly
Paddy Gilsenan
Jamie Queeney
Cian Ward.
Think it's a good idea to put Bray on the 45 with Queeney as a target man up front. Hopefully, Jamie will be able to knock a few balls down to Ward and Gilsenan running off him. Certainly we should be able to compete for high balls better than we did the last few games.
Still not confident but maybe they'll surprise us with a good display.
23-03-2012, 22:25   #29
Royal Seahawk

Yeah, looks like he's abandoning the two man full forward line by starting Queeney. Should be interesting.
24-03-2012, 14:15   #30
Hammer Archer

It's been a long time since I've been so lethargic heading to an away game. If I'd been to Omagh before I probably wouldn't go. Can't see us getting anything out of this meaning the game against Louth will decide whether we stay up or go down.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion