Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working my family tree back further then 1800

Options
  • 20-07-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

So I've always been interested in family tree heritage stuff I'm only 20 and never knew where to begin, or where to get records etc but lo and behold I come across a family tree of my family that goes back to 1805, that had already been worked on by a relative of mine who is now in england and put it online, it's now offline but I managed to save it, what I dont know is how to work back further then what I have....advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

You could try www.census.nationalarchives.ie but don't think they have anything before 1860 as this was around the time the Custom House, which held old records, was burnt down. Good luck though in your search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

You could try www.census.nationalarchives.ie but don't think they have anything before 1860 as this was around the time the Custom House, which held old records, was burnt down. Good luck though in your search :)

yeah my dad was researching my mothers side and I remember him mentioning something like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... 1860 as this was around the time the Custom House, which held old records, was burnt down...
    The Custom House fire was in 1921 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The public records office, where many of the records of interest were, e.g. Church of Ireland parish registers, old census returns etc, was located at the Four Courts.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

mathepac wrote: »
    The Custom House fire was in 1921 ...

Thanks for pointing that out....I knew it was sometime back in the past!!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

but lo and behold I come across a family tree of my family that goes back to 1805,

I think that you should consider yourself to be very, very lucky to have that !

You can play around with either :

pilot.familysearch.org

or

beta.familysearch.org

to see if you can discover more.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Ponster wrote: »
    I think that you should consider yourself to be very, very lucky to have that !

You can play around with either :

pilot.familysearch.org

or

beta.familysearch.org

to see if you can discover more.

I know I couldnt believe it, I was delighted, thanks for the links though i'll give em a try

Advertisement