Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorse removal

Options
  • 19-03-2019 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a load of gorse growing at the back of my house on a steep hill, so no way of getting any machinery at it. It's about 1/4 of a acre of it, so will probably try remove by hand.

Just wondering the best way to go about it. Should I cut with a bowsaw and then treat with a weedkiller, or should I buy a tool to try pull them out of the ground or is there another method I'm missing. I thought the bushes would have one "trunk" but when I checked yesterday each bush is multiple trunks coming from same area in the ground.

It's something I'll do over the course of a few weekends so it doesn't need to be completed in a rush.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Removed a bit lately (not a 1/4 acre though), a folding saw (silky or otherwise) might be easier for access into the middle of the bush, a bow saw tends to pull spiky stuff back on to your arms/face. Wear thick clothing and gloves. You can be lucky with some trunks that will lever out to under the surface level, others will be stubborn and can put down roots in a few places. I've left some to rot for a while, might not be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

I would think the roots are well entrenched into your steep hill. And finding a tool to yank everything out with, I'd have doubts. I clear an area of gorse by hand with a bowsaw every three years or so and it still grows back. I'm not a fan or expert on weedkiller but if it was that easy, half of the country wouldn't be covered with the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

Just remembered, a serrated folding garden saw was more effective, backing up comments made about bowsaw pulling back spiky branches into hands, Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have you a plan for replacing the gorse with suitable planting?
    If not I would re-consider your plan.
    The gorse is bee friendly and apparently natural to the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Can you no burn it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bigoldhouse

elperello wrote: »
    Have you a plan for replacing the gorse with suitable planting?
    If not I would re-consider your plan.
    The gorse is bee friendly and apparently natural to the area.

Yes, have another plan ready to go, just need to remove what's there first.

Can you no burn it?

Too close to house

Thud wrote: »
    Removed a bit lately (not a 1/4 acre though), a folding saw (silky or otherwise) might be easier for access into the middle of the bush, a bow saw tends to pull spiky stuff back on to your arms/face. Wear thick clothing and gloves. You can be lucky with some trunks that will lever out to under the surface level, others will be stubborn and can put down roots in a few places. I've left some to rot for a while, might not be an option for you.

Thanks, will go with a folding saw instead

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Relative had identical problem. It was weed killer treated first then the plant tops removed. In some cases it was possible to pull roots up, some were left. I recall it was treated again to get rid of new growth (much less) the following year and now some 6 years later there is the very occasional new one coming - there is a lot of gorse in adjacent areas/fields - but on the whole it is gone.

Advertisement