Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness is a good drop.

• 19-03-2019 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

I'm a Heineken drinker but being the day that's in it I went on the black stuff yesterday and it was surprisingly nice. Such an easy pint to drink. I might change my habits.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thank you Paulie.
    And now, Mairead with the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You should try the new Guinness Clear....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

bazz26 wrote: »
    You should try the new Guinness Clear....

Have they got that on Tap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

many taps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

To me Guinness tastes like sewage water strained through a hobos dirty socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

mad muffin wrote: »

I'd have a word with the bar manager in your local , if I was you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

tarmacadam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭bluetractor

Have they got that on Tap?

I had one installed in my home - so there. 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You’re too sophisticated is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Check your scutter in the morning... it'll look like you're giving birth to the black plague...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Love the stuff, and would put away 8-10 barrels of it a year. Could never understand this idea that it’s heavy and hard to drink - it’s far easier sink a dozen pints of Guinness than it is lager. The main side effect the next day are the frankly horrific farts - the type that hang around and almost burn the hair in your nostrils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Aside from the Iron, B-vits and Flavonoids. It also has barley's antioxidant: ferulic acid - which some current studies is 'grand altogether' for general health. Lash it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Tis an acquired taste certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

3 or 4 pints down the local every evening telling stories over the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Beer is dross, I only drink it when I have to.

Stout is where it's at; a proper drink.

"A pint of plain is your only man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Beer is dross, I only drink it when I have to.

Stout is where it's at; a proper drink.

"A pint of plain is your only man"

But Guinness is one of the worst stouts out there. Murphy's, Beamish, O'Hara's, all the Porterhouse stouts and even Super Bock Stout are all superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bassy wrote: »
    tarmacadam
    Gizza job.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Used to be pretty much the only pint I would drink it but it has been giving me horrific hangovers after 4 or 5 pints lately so I've pretty much given it up. They must have changed the recipe or something because I've heard a lot of people say the same.

dan1895 wrote: »
    But Guinness is one of the worst stouts out there. Murphy's, Beamish, O'Hara's, all the Porterhouse stouts and even Super Bock Stout are all superior.

Guinesss is by far and away the nicest stout, porterhouse plain is a nice enough stout also but not as nice as Guinness. Beamish is ok, you could drink one or two but you get tired of it then and Murphys is undrinkable muck.

Guinesss is by far and away the nicest stout, porterhouse plain is a nice enough stout also but not as nice as Guinness. Beamish is ok, you could drink one or two but you get tired of it then and Murphys is undrinkable muck.

Ah O'Hara's is far superior tastewise to Guinness...it's not even close tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

dan1895 wrote: »

Agreed re O'Hara's and porterhouse but you are extremely limited where you can get them. You are talking scutter about Beamish and Murphys though. They are almost identical to Guinness. Murphys being marginally milder in taste and Beamish a tad bit more flavoursome. The difference is very very small so anyone that loves one and hates another (another poster above) is talking nonsense.

For a mass produced beer, Guinness is exceptionally good.

Personally I disagree, nothing compares to a good pint of Guinness imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Only if you like it yourself.

Didn't take long for the beard brigade to arrive anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Used to be pretty much the only pint I would drink it but it has been giving me horrific hangovers after 4 or 5 pints lately so I've pretty much given it up. They must have changed the recipe or something because I've heard a lot of people say the same.

Absolutely Guinness gives me a terrible hangover these days, a real drill in the head kind of feeling the next day.

Wonder if it's anything to do with them removing isinglass from the filtration process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

stout is great going down but it punishes me coming out

Only if you like it yourself.

Didn't take long for the beard brigade to arrive anyway.

Guinness drinker... but if there is a choice I'll always have O'Hara's
    Must be awful for you if people hold a different opinion to your good self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

stout is great going down but it punishes me coming out

A bad pint is like a bad priest it will tear the arse of ya....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tis no Murphy's like, which in fairness is no Beamish itself.

Guinness drinker... but if there is a choice I'll always have O'Hara's
    Must be awful for you if people hold a different opinion to your good self

Opinion? You're really delving deep to use an argument that isn't even there to use. They weren't holding an opinion, they were claiming that O'Hara's was better than Guinness in all cases.

I like O'Hara's but nowhere serves it cold enough so I still prefer Guinness. That's my opinion.

• Advertisement

Opinion? You're really delving deep to use an argument that isn't even there to use. They weren't holding an opinion, they were claiming that O'Hara's was better than Guinness in all cases.

I prefer Guinness. That's my opinion.

Good man..I prefer O'Hara's...is that ok with you?
    #diageo4eva !

Thought you'd have been a Martini man yourself , ya know shaken not stirred.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I must have sampled close to 100 different stouts and porters over the last few years, some flavored with chocolate, or vanilla, or chilli, or cherries, some aged in whiskey or bourbon barrels, some of them smoked, some even fermented with wild yeasts. Of course some taste better than others.

I'd still happily drink Guinness, Beamish or Murphy's on a night out though. Always great craic when you find a bar that sells all three of them!

I must have sampled close to 100 different stouts and porters over the last few years, some flavored with chocolate, or vanilla, or chilli, or cherries, some aged in whiskey or bourbon barrels, some of them smoked, some even fermented with wild yeasts. Of course some taste better than others.

I'd still happily drink Guinness, Beamish or Murphy's on a night out though. Always great craic when you find a bar that sells all three of them!

And this , ladies and gentlemen , is one of the main criteria to become a Mod.

Good man..I prefer O'Hara's...is that ok with you?
    #diageo4eva !

You're an absolute embarrassment with that hashtag and are just making true all the stereotypes aimed at the craft brigade. Careful not to buy off 'the man' maaaaaan.

At least you said you prefer it yourself this time at least rather than it being "far superior". That's a fair rein in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And this , ladies and gentlemen , is one of the main criteria to become a Mod.

Diplomatic, with a hint of alcoholism? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm a Heineken drinker but being the day that's in it I went on the black stuff yesterday and it was surprisingly nice. Such an easy pint to drink. I might change my habits.

Yeah, if you drink that utter piss Heineken, then change to Guinness.

It is liquid gold compared to that scutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Guinness is a good drop? That doesn't make any sense but your probably pissed so all is excused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Guinness is for me a one pint wonder.
    The first one is creamy, full of flavour and a daycent pint.
    But it kills my tastebuds and subsequent pints just taste like farty sludge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Exactly, need to get a good pint of Guinness, a lot of people are judging it in places where the pint is not great.

Last time I was home in Ireland I had a couple of lunchtime pints in Ryans on Parkgate street - with a few packet of King crisps.

Heaven.

Literal Heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Guinness is great.

I’d have no time for the type that goes on and on about some triple roasted hops muck aged in a rum cask or with a blend of chocolate and porridge oats.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

You're an absolute embarrassment with that hashtag and are just making true all the stereotypes aimed at the craft brigade. Careful not to buy off 'the man' maaaaaan.

At least you said you prefer it yourself this time at least rather than it being "far superior". That's a fair rein in.

But it is far superior imo... and that's what it's all about opinions... will still drink Guinness and Beamish... but as I keep having to repeat for the hard of hearing...I prefer O'Hara's ...we have many varied choices these days...we don't all have to bow the knee to uncle Arthur

But it is far superior imo... and that's what it's all about opinions... will still drink Guinness and Beamish... but as I keep having to repeat for the hard of hearing...I prefer O'Hara's ...we have many varied choices these days...we don't all have to bow the knee to uncle Arthur

Uncle Arthur. You'll deinfiely have earned your craft beer club membership badge now.

we have many varied choices these days...we don't all have to bow the knee to uncle Arthur

Off the top of my head,O'Hara's, Rye River, Wicklow Wolf, Metalman, Franciscan Well, Kinnegar, White Hag, James Brown, White Gypsy, Porterhouse, 8 Degrees, Galway Bay and Trouble Brewing are all producing decent options. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Off the top of my head,O'Hara's, Rye River, Wicklow Wolf, Metalman, Franciscan Well, Kinnegar, White Hag, James Brown, White Gypsy, Porterhouse, 8 Degrees, Galway Bay and Trouble Brewing are all producing decent options. Good times!

Do metalman do a Stout now? Haven't seen their pale ale around my way lately really. Always grab it when I see it.

I've never seen a Metalman stout either. Maybe it's a seasonal one.

I hang with bearded craft folk and I have to drink that nonsense or be cast from the group. So on different nights out to have a creamy Guinness is a joy.

It’s nice because it’s fairly bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That West Indies porter was a lovely drop

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Do metalman do a Stout now? Haven't seen their pale ale around my way lately really. Always grab it when I see it.

They had a smoked chili porter out called Heat Sink. Tesco might still have cans of it.

That West Indies porter was a lovely drop

That was nice alright. Is it gone?

That was nice alright. Is it gone?

It's still in Tesco anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement