Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watering potted plants while away

Options
  • 17-03-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

Any tips on how to keep plants watered while away for 10 days?
    Potted tomato and pepper plants in a greenhouse.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I found these (see pic) to be extremely effective. Just keep the water source at a level higher than the top of the soil, not below like in the picture. Get absolutely loads of them. and use a very large water container (or more than one - for houseplants I used one 5lts bottle per pot) for them to feed from. You can also work into the soil lots of water retaining gel (tip: nappies have lots of it in the stuffing, just use clean ones) into the soil itself and water it thoroughly for a few days before you leave, to make sure it has expanded fully. Also, if you can, shading the greenhouse would reduce evaporation, to a certain extent.

product-image-353957183_540x.jpg?v=1527096791

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

New Home wrote: »
    I found these (see pic) to be extremely effective. Just keep the water source at a level higher than the top of the soil, not below like in the picture. Get absolutely loads of them. and use a very large water container (or more than one - for houseplants I used one 5lts bottle per pot) for them to feed from. You can also work into the soil lots of water retaining gel (tip: nappies have lots of it in the stuffing, just use clean ones) into the soil itself and water it thoroughly for a few days before you leave, to make sure it has expanded fully. Also, if you can, shading the greenhouse would reduce evaporation, to a certain extent.

product-image-353957183_540x.jpg?v=1527096791

Thanks

Advertisement