Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walnut shaped root

Options
  • 17-03-2019 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Just digging out alot of weeks in a new raised bed feom last year and i found a good few walnut shaped roots

Does anyone know what they are?

Please dont say cat sh1t

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Peculiar. Are they soft or hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks like an actual walnut to me!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Those ARE walnut kernels. If you have jays (sometimes other kinds of birds, too) or squirrels near you, they may be the ones who buried them. You dug up their stash!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Never seen a squirrel in the garden,

I found about 10 all the way along the raised bed about 3 inches deep not in 1 pile..

Walnuts are expensve, so where do they get then and why just walnuts.

Very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe someone is having you on, they are walnuts.

Do you have kids? Were they trying to grow walnut trees? Is your muesli looking a bit sparse?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They either got from a tree, or from someone's garden, or from a compost heap: someone may have discarded them because they had gone stale.

Birds do "plant" them around to make sure they don't all get stolen. Unless someone played a prank on you, I'd still say birds. And definitely walnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Never seen a squirrel in the garden,

I found about 10 all the way along the raised bed about 3 inches deep not in 1 pile..

Walnuts are expensve, so where do they get then and why just walnuts.

Very strange

Not that expensive you can buy a big bag of them just like that from Lidl. If mice have easy access they will move them from a cupboard to another location. Saw this once when a mate found his wader (hung up on a wall) was full of dog biscuits that the mice had stolen and stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Meanwhile on the mice forum...
    GODDAMNIT! My entire stash!

Ok this is weird,
    We have no kids
    Girlfriend did not plant them to grow walnuts

They were quite deep couple of inches

Raised bed is 20mt long and these were all along it.

I took a good few from the soil for proof, still loads left in the soil. No other types of seeds.

I got the topsoil last summer 3 tons, i would have seen the nuts going in as it was very dry and loose.

I will setup a camera and see if its birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A bit of a stretch but just maybe the soil came from a place that had a walnut tree. I know that some years they are massively prolific (to the extent that they are a bl00dy nuisance) and again perhaps the shells have rotted since the soil was put into the bed?

But I still think it might be mice. We've had mice dig up small bulbs and move them. The year before last they dug up my wifes sweet pea seeds (much smaller I know) and we had sweet peas coming up in unexpected places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The nuts in the first pic look quite fresh, the nuts in the second pic look as though they have been there for a while.

looksee wrote: »
    The nuts in the first pic look quite fresh, the nuts in the second pic look as though they have been there for a while.

Nuts in the first photo are in the second....

I have noticed a few mag pies around, i thought they only like shiny things.

They like "bling", but they can't eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭blackbox

my3cents wrote: »
    A bit of a stretch but just maybe the soil came from a place that had a walnut tree. I know that some years they are massively prolific (to the extent that they are a bl00dy nuisance) and again perhaps the shells have rotted since the soil was put into the bed?

If this was the case the shells would be there too. The shells are almost indestructible.

OP have you crushed them to see if they smell of walnut?

They may not quack like walnuts or walk like walnuts, but they do look like walnuts, and that's because they are walnuts.

The shells crack quite easily if you walk on them, but to me those look like they were discarded by someone and picked up by the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

I finally spotted the squirrel that dug up most of the 100 crocus bulbs i'd planted, he's a red squirrel so hard to be pissed off at him, hadn't seen any squirrels in the garden up to now...this could be a squirrel too

Advertisement