Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12V Deep Cycle battery

Options
  • 17-03-2019 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Trying to build a small Solar power LED light system for a shed, I was advised to get a "12V Deep Cycle" battery.

When I go into town all I see is "leisure batteries" - they seem more expensive that what similar online builds quote ( €80 compared to €35 ).

Can anyone advise where I should look for such a battery or are Leisure ones the same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    Trying to build a small Solar power LED light system for a shed, I was advised to get a "12V Deep Cycle" battery.

When I go into town all I see is "leisure batteries" - they seem more expensive that what similar online builds quote ( €80 compared to €35 ).

Can anyone advise where I should look for such a battery or are Leisure ones the same thing?

Leisure are the same thing, they're used in caravans, boats, etc for lighting, fridges etc.
    They tolerate being run down better than car batteries, Car batteries don't last if they're being run down low persistently.......... on saying that I've an old tractor battery on a solar fencer about 15 years but I suppose on the fencer it's fully charged all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Donegal Hydro Harvesting

If you know how many watts the lights are?
    How long you want them to run for between charge?

say you have 5 lights at 10 watts each.
    To run all of them in an hour would use 50 watts.
    From a 12 volt battery that is 4.17 amps.
    8 hours a day 33.36 amps
    For a deep cycle battery you only want to use 50% of its capacity so you would get by with a 70 amp battery if it gets charged fully each day.
    The more you discharge the battery the less life cycles it will have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Are lead crystal batteries available here yet, or is that what leisure batteries are?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement