Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed hole without a router

Options
  • 15-03-2019 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

I want to recess a hole under a desk to house a wireless charger so I can charge phone by just placing on the desk above the charger. I don’t have a router, what’s the easiest way of doing this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

xabi wrote: »
    I want to recess a hole under a desk to house a wireless charger so I can charge phone by just placing on the desk above the charger. I don’t have a router, what’s the easiest way of doing this?

Get the loan of a router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Whats the minimum distance you need and whats the desktop made out of?

I'd be a little concerned that on chipboard that you could make the desk too weak if you weren't very careful?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

will it work through the chip: fire risk if it over heats?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Chisel?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lumen wrote: »

Thats great if you have a solid wood desk but I'm not sure chipboard would be as forgiving?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Indeed. With chipboard, maybe do the same but upside down and then use coloured silicone to finish. Might look neat enough.

Or use a hole saw and cover with wood effect veneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I like the idea what you're doing, You'll need something like this:

Flat Wood Hole Saw

Just order one that is the right size. You'll need to get the depth of cut just right as too much distance will affect the operation of the charger but too deep a cut will leave the area unsupported by the top plate of the charger and the chipboard will then crack soon afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Use that above and you'll go straight through the desk.

Borrow a router or rent one.

Or destroy he desk. But having done this myself and gave up realise that you have to get it down to about 4mm depth on the board. I got to 7 and it still wasn't working i was unwilling to go further as it would destroy the integrity not the sideboard.

Advertisement