Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a renovation project

Options
  • 15-03-2019 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

The housing and land stock is limited in the area I'm looking at and all that seems to come up are renovation projects in various states of dereliction or disrepair. I'm hoping to have my ducks in a row if I find the right one and my question is at what point and in what order do you engage professionals to get an idea of what's possible and how much it would cost?

For example, I've viewed a property that is in a bad way - still has four walls, a roof and windows -but beyond that is in bits. Before buying it I'd need an idea of cost to renovate and whether it's more cost effective and a better outcome to just knock it and build from scratch, to see if I can actually afford it. I'm new to the area so have no friends or neighbours who are builders, familiar with this sort of thing etc.

Properties - even the derelict ones - move pretty quick in this area so I don't want to miss out but also don't want to end up with a lemon that I can't afford to make habitable. Any tips? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Do you satisfy the local needs requirement if any.
    LA may not allow you demolish and rebuild.
    Are there services on site?

Cost is a fn of what spec you want to build to
    https://www.scsi.ie/advice/renewing_your_house_insurance_rebuild_calculator
    will give you an idea
    Any half decent finish will be north of 1,000 euro/sq meter on a reno
    1,500 for a new build
    these are just guidelines

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement