Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting shoplifters pic on social media

Options
  • 15-03-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭

I was 8n a supermarket a few min ago and they have a sign beside each checkout saying shoplifters picture will be posted to social media and displayed in the shop.

Can they legally do this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

What did you rob?

Mod
    Be careful, Corkboy38

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Open for general discussion subject to forum rules

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Not sure about the legal implications but I imagine it’s would be against GDPR procedure. On another note I was told before by a Garda sergeant that doing this has a big negative impact if a suspect goes to court , and he has seen people walk because images of them were plastered all over Facebook accusing them of theft before being found guilty in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I was 8n a supermarket a few min ago and they have a sign beside each checkout saying shoplifters picture will be posted to social media and displayed in the shop.

Can they legally do this

They can but they would want to be able to prove it unless they want to run the risk of having to make a substantial payout to the 'alleged shoplifter' for defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would this also fall under a show like Crimecall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

Can they legally do this
    The threat would be a deterrant in itself. Nothing illegal in that I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

As said above the huge risk there is they put up the photograph of someone who merely looked like they were shop lifting and weren't and the publisher then has defamed someone and is open to very expensive civil action.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anteayer wrote: »
    As said above the huge risk there is they put up the photograph of someone who merely looked like they were shop lifting and weren't and the publisher then has defamed someone and is open to very expensive civil action.

Easy fix: only put up the pics after the court case at which they were found guilty. Its public information at that stage ...

I'd be worried that getting onto the wall would be seen as an achievement in some circles .... but I guess nothing will deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

callaway92 wrote: »
    Would this also fall under a show like Crimecall?

Gardai are looking for information about an alleged crime, I assume all avenues have been explored before going to the press and providing a photo/photo fit image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Easy fix: only put up the pics after the court case at which they were found guilty. Its public information at that stage ...

I'd be worried that getting onto the wall would be seen as an achievement in some circles .... but I guess nothing will deter them.

What is described by the OP sounds like a personal data breach.

Even after a successful prosecution, the fact of the prosecution might be in the public domain but this doesn't mean that the person's image (personal data) is fair game by the shop I would have thought.

Reporting the crime to the Gardai and their use of the image to investigate is legitimate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

imho nobody should display such notices, images etc without first consulting their solicitor. Very risky. Same applies to refusing entry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Vetch wrote: »
    What is described by the OP sounds like a personal data breach.

Even after a successful prosecution, the fact of the prosecution might be in the public domain but this doesn't mean that the person's image (personal data) is fair game by the shop I would have thought.

How do you figure that a photo of you constitutes 'personal data'?

And if publishing a photo without someone's permission constitutes a 'personal data breach', would you care to comment on this image (published on independent.ie this week) which shows the children of Peter Quinn arriving for a court case and it's a civil case by the way .........

18%20NEWS%20Quinn%20Family%20Kids3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

coylemj wrote: »

And if publishing a photo without someone's permission constitutes a 'personal data breach', would you care to comment on this image (published on independent.ie this week) which shows the children of Peter Quinn arriving for a court case and it's a civil case by the way .........

They way that I'd see this is that an image is personal data if a person is identified or identifiable. The shop is a data controller so its use of the image would have to fulfil one of the legal bases for processing in GDPR. You don't agree?

Journalistic privilege / freedom of the press for newspaper photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

They way that I'd see this is that an image is personal data if a person is identified or identifiable. The shop is a data controller so its use of the image would have to fulfil one of the legal bases for processing in GDPR. You don't agree?

Journalistic privilege / freedom of the press for newspaper photo.

CCTV used in a shop is completely different than taking a photo of someone in a public area.
    CCTV stored in a shop for security purposes is a mind field of GDPR legality and can only be used in accordance with GDPR processes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

18%20NEWS%20Quinn%20Family%20Kids3.jpg

Yeh. People rant on and on about GDPR without any real knowledge of what it is.

Defamation may be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Slightly different, security would take a Polaroid of persons they had caught and then the "wall" showed anyone banned from the shop, but everyone knew it was people caught stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I remember being in a supermarket & seeing a "watch list" of names next to the till - it was easily visible.

Snotty wrote: »
    Slightly different, security would take a Polaroid of persons they had caught and then the "wall" showed anyone banned from the shop, but everyone knew it was people caught stealing.

Getting 'caught stealing' and being convicted of theft in the courts are two very different things. What you describe above would expose the store to a suit for defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Getting 'caught stealing' and being convicted of theft in the courts are two very different things. What you describe above would expose the store to a suit for defamation.

Why exactly? Not saying your wrong. There is no law against banning any person from a shop, as long as it can't be attributed to discrimination. So if it was announced they were banned, but without stating a reason, is it defamation?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Snotty wrote: »
    Why exactly? Not saying your wrong. There is no law against banning any person from a shop, as long as it can't be attributed to discrimination. So if it was announced they were banned, but without stating a reason, is it defamation?

The standard isn't that you accuse someone of an offence, only that you make a statement that tends to injure their reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of the public. Relying in innuendo rather than plain statements to attempt that injury doesn't save you from liability. In this case there would be a number of avenues open to someone to show that publication of their image as being "banned from the shop" tended to injure their reputation, the most obvious being that a reasonable person would conclude that one was banned for committing an offence, as you've said yourself, "everyone knew it was people caught stealing". Another obvious course of action would be to show that others on the wall had been convicted of theft, which would be good evidence that the publication of your image alongside them in that manner would injure your reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

Joe Duffy one had a call from someone who was told by data protection to take down photos of thieves. i think it was on facebook he had them. That was a couple of years ago before GDPR

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Many, many years ago we were asked to remove a rogues board of bad cheques which we displayed in the wall behind the check out of a petrol station I managed. Only the cheques with the bank stamps were pinned to the board, no other information however we were advised by our legal council to remove them.

Subutai wrote: »
    Another obvious course of action would be to show that others on the wall had been convicted of theft, which would be good evidence that the publication of your image alongside them in that manner would injure your reputation.

+1 Guilt by association. And if only one of the other people in this 'rogues' gallery' had been convicted of something more serious than shoplifting, all the better for a big cheque to settle a suit for defamation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

CCTV stored in a shop for security purposes is a mind field of GDPR legality and can only be used in accordance with GDPR processes.

Interesting. I used to (pre-GDPR) very frequently use a filling station on the Wexford Town to New Ross carriageway. Rarely were there not A4 sheets sellotaped to the pumps showing stills (from the CCTV) of vehicle registration plates after doing a "drive off".

Now that I think about it, I guess the owners are/were going for a "name/identify and shame" approach rather than going for the Gardaí/legal route. Perhaps the latter is just too costly and time-consuming?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Interesting. I used to (pre-GDPR) very frequently use a filling station on the Wexford Town to New Ross carriageway. Rarely were there not A4 sheets sellotaped to the pumps showing stills (from the CCTV) of vehicle registration plates after doing a "drive off".

Now that I think about it, I guess the owners are/were going for a "name/identify and shame" approach rather than going for the Gardaí/legal route. Perhaps the latter is just too costly and time-consuming?
    Maybe the former was just more effective? Or maybe the deciding factor was not how effective either course was, in terms of recovering money, but how much time and effort the owners were willing to put in to addressing the problem.

If your main priority is not recovering money you have already lost, but simply deterring others from engaging in the same behaviour, putting up the stills is cheaper, quicker and less trouble than the legal route, and quite possibly more effective. What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Perhaps they were hoping some of them were in error, and the person would come back, and go in to pay for the drive off on their next visit.

Advertisement