Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shower shelves

• 14-03-2019 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Just got the bathroom done and I want to put in a 3 tier shower caddy in the corner. One wall has concrete and brick behind the tiles, the other has just regular plasterboard and a hollow space.

The shower caddy is metal with metal screws. I am paranoid about water seeping along the screws, down the rawls and into the plasterboard.

Waterproofing suggestions for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Sharky30 wrote: »
    Just got the bathroom done and I want to put in a 3 tier shower caddy in the corner. One wall has concrete and brick behind the tiles, the other has just regular plasterboard and a hollow space.

The shower caddy is metal with metal screws. I am paranoid about water seeping along the screws, down the rawls and into the plasterboard.

Blob of silicone over the face of the rawlplug and on wall then screw caddy against it. The blob will squish. Wipe off excess and done.

It's not a vulnerable area like a shower/tile interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sharky30

Blob of silicone over the face of the rawlplug and on wall then screw caddy against it. The blob will squish. Wipe off excess and done.

It's not a vulnerable area like a shower/tile interface.

Thanks very much.

Silicone on rawl plug, press caddy then screw in. Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This Irish product might be worth looking at?

https://showergem.com/

PS. I have no connection to the inventor btw.

NIMAN wrote: »

https://showergem.com/

PS. I have no connection to the inventor btw.

Good idea. I would wonder about the opportunity for mould build up between it and the grouted wall behind it: any area maintained in a wet state is much more likely to grow mould (as the underside of my shower mat testifies to)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ask the inventor/designer, he posts in the E & BM Forum

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057951693

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

NIMAN wrote:

I bought one of these for my own shower. Excellent product. What truly bowls me over is that it's designed & manifactured in Ireland. 100 percent Irish.
    Good idea. I would wonder about the opportunity for mould build up between it and the grouted wall behind it: any area maintained in a wet state is much more likely to grow mould (as the underside of my shower mat testifies to)

There is an installation video on their website. Basically a plastic strap is stuck to the wall with special adhesive. The strap has two plastic hooks (for want of a better word) that the shelf hooks onto. Everything is plastic. No metal & no drilling. The plastic shelf can be unhooked without any tool whenever you want to clean the shelf or wherever you want to clean the wall behind. It really is a great product. I stand in 6 to 8 showers per day as part of my job so I've seen just about every shelf and soap dish ever made. This is the only one that I would say is a great product.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I stand in 6 to 8 showers per day as part of my job so I've seen just about every shelf and soap dish ever made. This is the only one that I would say is a great product.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what job you've got!

Agree on it being a great product. It hits the nail on many heads

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what job you've got!

I own a shower repair company. :)

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I own a shower repair company. :)

That one hadn't crossed my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That one hadn't crossed my mind.

Burglar with a shower fetish?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Sharky30 wrote: »

A built in recess shelf in the partition wall would be a better job,you can stiil do it but abit of work in it.,water will not seep in the screws down the rawl plugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I swear by a push button dispenser of shower gel, shampoo etc. I have one that takes 4 different products. No drilling required to install. Mounting plate secured with silicone fixative/no nails.

NIMAN wrote:
    Burglar with a shower fetish?

Hooker showering between clients. :)

Advertisement