Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claims of products and disclaimers

Options
  • 13-03-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just had a thought after reading something online and thought I'd ask here.

I found this link

https://newmoonbeginnings.com/products/autism-healing-crystal-set

This "product" claims to heal autism etc but doesn't have disclaimer or go into much detail about it itself. Now I know this is in the US but if this was to be based in Ireland, could the maker be brought to court for making a claim that isn't true? Particularly with no disclaimer saying it may not do so?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Would this fall under a similar vein as Leonard v Pepsico? In that it's just so ridiculous no one could be expected to take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not sure where he got the link out of it but it's the kinda thing that pops up on the independent.ie adverts. So someone could take it seriously if advertised there as it's the national go to paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Would this fall under a similar vein as Leonard v Pepsico? In that it's just so ridiculous no one could be expected to take it seriously.

Smart money would say that, many people believe in these herbal and homeopathic remedies for things, particularly the anti-vaccers,that defense would work on normal society but with the way things are progressing I wouldnt be shocked in a court siding with a person who was anti-vax and genuinely thought it was real and would work.

But with a disclaimer stating that results were not guaranteed and further medical intervention required who knows how it would play out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Fools and their money are easily parted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

sexmag wrote: »
    Hi,

I just had a thought after reading something online and thought I'd ask here.

I found this link

https://newmoonbeginnings.com/products/autism-healing-crystal-set

This "product" claims to heal autism etc but doesn't have disclaimer or go into much detail about it itself. Now I know this is in the US but if this was to be based in Ireland, could the maker be brought to court for making a claim that isn't true? Particularly with no disclaimer saying it may not do so?

Thanks
    Advertising standards would require serious proof of the claims or they would be in breach of code.

Also could possibly be prosecuted under consumer protection act 2007 -unfair commercial practices

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/unfair_commercial_practices.html
    "False claims that products can cure illnesses "

• Advertisement
Advertisement