Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM Provider recommendation

Options
  • 04-03-2019 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm planning to have a self monitored system installed in the new abode but not sure what network provider to go with. Thinking lyca due to their costs but I'm more worried about the SIM/Number being disabled if there is no activity on the card. Has anyone any experience on this?

*edit
    Actually, does anyone know if these GSM dialers only run off 2g networks? Was looking at the Securigard system but not sure how many networks still use 2g on top of the whole card activity question.

Cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Eir or Vodafone with a 2g enabled SIM generally works fine.
    Securigard is an installer. Nothing to do with what SIM is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

KoolKid wrote: »
    Eir or Vodafone with a 2g enabled SIM generally works fine.
    Securigard is an installer. Nothing to do with what SIM is used.

I know they are the installer, was wondering if anyone knew what equipment they use for the GSM dialler.
    Don't know too much about these things and wanted to check if they only use 2g networks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think they generally ask you to provide your own SIM.
    I'd do a bit of research there if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,
    I'm planning to have a self monitored system installed in the new abode but not sure what network provider to go with. Thinking lyca due to their costs but I'm more worried about the SIM/Number being disabled if there is no activity on the card. Has anyone any experience on this?

*edit
    Actually, does anyone know if these GSM dialers only run off 2g networks? Was looking at the Securigard system but not sure how many networks still use 2g on top of the whole card activity question.

Cheers,

One the sim is 2G compatible then it will work in the GSM.
    Some one on here used a lyca mobile sim and it worked.

What I would say is if you register the sim on line to check credit plus check what the time limit and cost in that time is with the provided. Some are 6 months and some are more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

KoolKid wrote: »
    I think they generally ask you to provide your own SIM.
    I'd do a bit of research there if I were you.

Securigard were selling Eir SIMs (for a fiver or something, cost I assume) when I got my system in.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭altor

L1011 wrote: »
    Securigard were selling Eir SIMs (for a fiver or something, cost I assume) when I got my system in.

<snip>

Vodafone ready to go sims are now triple so cover the 2G also.
    Fitted one yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

PM sent to Altor. Thank you.

Advertisement