Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees begin cut down

Options
  • 25-02-2019 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Last week Waterways ireland cut down all the trees along my local canal, i rang and complained but never heard anything back, while browsing through facebook this evening , im after seeing that its going on right across the country , anyone know whats going on??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It's a canal, it has no business with trees along the edges.

Removed for health and safety reasons

Posted: 26/09/2018
    Marine Notice 99 of 2018 - Shannon Erne Waterways - Hedge and Tree cutting - September 2018 to February 2019

Notice Number 99 of 2018
    MARINE NOTICE

No. 99 of 2018

SHANNON –ERNE WATERWAY

TREE TRIMMING & HEDGE CUTTING

SEPT 2018 - FEB 2019

Waterways Ireland wishes to advise all Masters of vessels and Users of the waterways that tree trimming and hedge cutting will be carried out at various locations on the Shannon-Erne Waterway.

Masters will be advised by Waterways Ireland staff when making a passage.

The cooperation of Masters is requested at this time and any inconvenience is regretted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

gctest50 wrote: »
    It's a canal, it has no business with trees along the edges.

Removed for health and safety reasons

Its not just the canals being cut, there cutting stretches of the barrow as well and other rivers too, they were cutting whole trees down in estates and town as well,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Unfortunately, if the waterways are navigable then trees need clearing every now and again, for safety reasons. Just like roadside verges. Waterways Ireland don't take on this kind of expense unless there is good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The councils are doing it as well, if you seen the pics ive seen you'd be disgusted. Waterways Ireland are a pack of clowns, they cut everything in the canals, i fish the canals and it drives me mental seeing the damage they do, the cut weeds during spawning time, Last year i watched tench spawning and went back down a week later and there wasnt a bit of weed left , everything spawn and all just dumped onto the bank. Sure they covered birds nest with the stuff. They cut the reeds in the margins that ducks and moorhens shelter in , when theres no need for it. They've no respect for the environment whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

It's the last minute rush to get cutting done before the closed period for bird nesting begins on 1st March.

The councils are doing it as well, if you seen the pics ive seen you'd be disgusted. Waterways Ireland are a pack of clowns, they cut everything in the canals, i fish the canals and it drives me mental seeing the damage they do, the cut weeds during spawning time, Last year i watched tench spawning and went back down a week later and there wasnt a bit of weed left , everything spawn and all just dumped onto the bank. Sure they covered birds nest with the stuff. They cut the reeds in the margins that ducks and moorhens shelter in , when theres no need for it. They've no respect for the environment whatsoever.

It's a canal, they need to maintain it so the full width of it is "available"

If they don't clear weeds, it'll silt up and soon you'll have a river.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are lots of reports of trees being cut down, and i've heard two separate claims that insurance companies are offering lower premiums for land with fewer tall trees. all anecdotal, but there seem to be a lot of anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

there are lots of reports of trees being cut down, and i've heard two separate claims that insurance companies are offering lower premiums for land with fewer tall trees. all anecdotal, but there seem to be a lot of anecdotes.

In Waterford city whole rows of trees after being cut down. Heard the same thing about insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Unfortunately, if the waterways are navigable then trees need clearing every now and again, for safety reasons. Just like roadside verges. Waterways Ireland don't take on this kind of expense unless there is good cause.

Waterways Ireland are trashing the place and they give a damn about biodiversity...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Waterways Ireland are trashing the place and they give a damn about biodiversity...........

I'm not saying otherwise. Simply pointing out that their remit is to keep certain waterways navigable. They have little concern for biodiversity but have their own statutory obligations.

Advertisement