Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodpecker Dublin / Wicklow border

Options
  • 25-02-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi
    Doing a bit of work in the garden on Saturday (23-Feb-2019) I was amazed to hear what can only a woodpecker somewhere in the trees around. Quite clear and recurring at intervals over the afternoon.

Google search indicates there are some Woodpecker in Wicklow. All news to me.
    I am in the Shankill area.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

fortyplus wrote: »
    Hi
    Doing a bit of work in the garden on Saturday (23-Feb-2019) I was amazed to hear what can only a woodpecker somewhere in the trees around. Quite clear and recurring at intervals over the afternoon.

Google search indicates there are some Woodpecker in Wicklow. All news to me.
    I am in the Shankill area.

They were featured on "A wild irish year" at the weekend.they are making a comeback in Ireland.
    Episode 4.Winter..https://www.rte.ie/player/series/a-wild-irish-year/SI0000003098?epguid=IP000062979

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

And he / she is at it again yesterday & today!
    I think I can hear more in the distance also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Nice one, he may be nesting in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

They've been regular visitors to my grandparent's house in south Wicklow for about four years now.

For those interested, there was a book released a couple of years ago detailing their return to Wicklow - I haven't read it, but my granda has and he quite enjoyed it. It's called "A Life in the Trees" and is by Declan Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    They've been regular visitors to my grandparent's house in south Wicklow for about four years now.

For those interested, there was a book released a couple of years ago detailing their return to Wicklow - I haven't read it, but my granda has and he quite enjoyed it. It's called "A Life in the Trees" and is by Declan Murphy.

Interesting book, well worth a read..we’ve had Woodpeckers here (north Wicklow) since last winter. During the drought last summer an adult and junvenile visited the pond in the garden on a number of occasions for a drink so they obviously bred somewhere in the vicinity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

From Wings 2009 https://www.birdwatchireland.ie/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=yN0qpHhymyQ%3d&tabid=966

There was also a pair in Sutton a year or two prior and some occasional reports of them elsewhere in Howth in the following years.

Advertisement