Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Chilli thread

Options
  • 17-02-2019 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Right decided to start a new thread rather than phoenix an old one.

Just planted my first batch for this year in the propagator.

I'm growing from seed the following.

Bhut Jolokia (the infamous Ghost Chilli)
    Biquinho Red
    Pimientos de Padron
    Purple Jalapeno
    Santa Fe Grande

This is the first time using a heated propagator but I have grown the Bhut Jolokia and Padrons before. I'll start them in the apartment and will put the plants that come out in Mid April in a polytunnel. So whats everyone else planning on growing. I won't be trying the Ghost Chilli raw this time !!!!

Last year I used plants bought in B&Q but a couple of varieties either supplied a mediocre return of fruits or nothing. I'm hoping I have the experience of last time I grew from seed two years ago when I got a bumper crop of Padrons and a good return of Ghost Chillis.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

gandalf wrote: »
    Right decided to start a new thread rather than phoenix an old one.

Just planted my first batch for this year in the propagator.

I'm growing from seed the following.

Bhut Jolokia (the infamous Ghost Chilli)
    Biquinho Red
    Pimientos de Padron
    Purple Jalapeno
    Santa Fe Grande

This is the first time using a heated propagator but I have grown the Bhut Jolokia and Padrons before. I'll start them in the apartment and will put the plants that come out in Mid April in a polytunnel. So whats everyone else planning on growing. I won't be trying the Ghost Chilli raw this time !!!!

Last year I used plants bought in B&Q but a couple of varieties either supplied a mediocre return of fruits or nothing. I'm hoping I have the experience of last time I grew from seed two years ago when I got a bumper crop of Padrons and a good return of Ghost Chillis.

Nice idea, I normally jut go for some weird variety I picked up in the canaries a few years back and then some Habaneros!

Where did you get the seeds for your future harvest?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nice idea, I normally jut go for some weird variety I picked up in the canaries a few years back and then some Habaneros!

Where did you get the seeds for your future harvest?

I buy off the South Devon Chilli Farm. I've used them several times, the only problem is limiting myself to around 5 varieties as I don't have the space to grow too many. If I won the lotto I'd get myself a home with a large garden and a large greenhouse just for chillis :D

https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Photo attached shows most of last years harvest.

I started with some of the super hots in mid January. Wet kitchen towel in a sealed take out container in the hotpress. Success rate was poor enough compared to previous years. Just not paying enough attention this year. Have about 20 seedlings moved to a heated propagator on a south facing windowsill. Once they get a second set of leaves then its on to a growlight in a warm alcove upstairs.
    Was going to do a second batch end of February once there is room in the hotpress and propagator but I cant find the pack of seeds. Dozens of varieties. Some brought from travel around the world. They should turn up but think it will be too late for this year. Worst case I can take some from the freezer and dry to save for next year. Will probably just get some Cayenne and Jalapeno and go for quantity. As long as there is enough for chilli oil and the freezer for cooking I'll survive the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Wow, just wow! :)

Yeah, I think half the reason I'm so relaxed about messing up this season is even if I only grow a few plants I'll still have enough of last years crop to get me through next winter anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Bought some generic red chilli plant from the GC last year and worked well enough so went all out this year and bought a propagator and greenhouse (not just for chillies).

Trinidad Scorpion
    Scotch Bonnet
    Peter Pepper
    Chocolate Habanero
    Cherry Bomb
    Bolivian Rainbow
    Lemon Drop

All thriving in the propagator at the moment other than the Lemon Drop, only difference is they're the only seeds from a different source so maybe the quality wasn't as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I had good success with Solero last year - quite small but hot cayenne. To a lesser degree had jalapeños and joes long cayenne.

Have some habanero seeds ready to sow this weekend along with more solero. May add another variety or two if I see anything of interest locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Yeah, I think half the reason I'm so relaxed about messing up this season is even if I only grow a few plants I'll still have enough of last years crop to get me through next winter anyway.

No offence,looks impressive and sure lots of work and passion.
    May i ask you...what the neck are you doing with so much chillies !??

rolion wrote: »
    No offence,looks impressive and sure lots of work and passion.
    May i ask you...what the neck are you doing with so much chillies !??

Its a bit of an addiction all right. Some seeds don't propogate, some seedlings die off, some plants don't give too many chillis so I tend to over do each stage.

I dry loads for chilli oil. One type for cooking, another for drizzling on pizza etc.
    Make a slot of sauces. This one is a current favourite https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/mango-habanero-hot-sauce/
    Use it as a dipping sauce. Gave away a load of jars of it as well. Makes a nice small present.
    Gave away plenty when they are fresh. Although it tends to be just the milder ones as I don't want to be surprising them. Most people don't understand how hot chillis can actually be.
    Then fill the freezer for cooking throughout the year. They will last as long as you want and both myself and the wife like a few in everything.
    I'll experiment a with a few more sauces and maybe fermentation.
    That said I did over do it last year. :D
    None will go to waste though.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

Its a bit of an addiction all right. Some seeds don't propogate, some seedlings die off, some plants don't give too many chillis so I tend to over do each stage.

I dry loads for chilli oil. One type for cooking, another for drizzling on pizza etc.
    Make a slot of sauces. This one is a current favourite https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/mango-habanero-hot-sauce/
    Use it as a dipping sauce. Gave away a load of jars of it as well. Makes a nice small present.
    Gave away plenty when they are fresh. Although it tends to be just the milder ones as I don't want to be surprising them. Most people don't understand how hot chillis can actually be.
    Then fill the freezer for cooking throughout the year. They will last as long as you want and both myself and the wife like a few in everything.

How well do they freeze? Just fire them in whole?

• Advertisement

If you freeze them you lose that crunchy fresh consistency when you defrost but you can use them for cooking, sauces or drying. I just cut them up frozen and fire them into stir fries, currys, baked potatoes and everything else I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Something I may try this year is pickled eggs done in the usual way but packed in the jars with chillies used to fill as much of the spaces between the eggs as possible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Add a chutney/relish to your list...

Also how do you dry them out? I have mixed results and am considering getting a dehydrator, have other garden fruits I could use it with too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Recommend me some for beginners please.

We grew tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries and herbs in our new tunnel. But we were too late to get chillies started and store plants were gone.

_Brian wrote: »
    Recommend me some for beginners please.

We grew tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries and herbs in our new tunnel. But we were too late to get chillies started and store plants were gone.

Cayenne's and Jalapeno's grow very easily. You can plan those in March and have load of chillis come September.

Lordgoat, the wife got me a dehydrator last year for a birthday present. You can also use it for drying fruit so it gets a good bit of use. Its big so you need somewhere to store it but it is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Captain Shamroc, do you grow all your chillies outside / in a window box inside / greenhouse or what method do you use?

My friend has grown them in his window and I think I'm going to try my hand at it this year as I am a big fan of spicy chillies. Just wondering the best way to do it as your last years crop is monster.

I've been doing it for about four years and for the first two years only had a couple of plants. Last year was easy because of the weather.

I start with seeds on wet kitchen towel in a plastic takeaway container in the hot press. It can take a few weeks to germinate and the success depends on a lot of things including luck. Don't let them dry out and don't have them soaking.
    As soon as you get a bit of green I put them in soil in a seed tray or those small fibre pots. I put them in a heated propagator on a south facing windowsil but its probably not necessary. I got it but then found I ad just a sgoo a success rate for seed in the hotpress. They don't need much water at this stage. Again, don't let them dry out either.
    Once I get a second set of leaves I move them to a growlight
    I got this one last year https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0038NDWME/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Its big and takes up a bit of room but you can put it anywhere reasonable warm.
    About April I'll put into small plastic pots. At this stage room plays a big part on what I can do. I usually leave everything as long as possible in smaller pots purely because of a lack of room.
    Greenfly is your biggest problem when you have a lot of plans indoors. Check regularly and wash with soapy water or just use a bottle of bug killer form your local garden centre.
    About mid May when there is no chance of a frost I put them out on the patio. I am lucky with a sheltered south facing garden that is a sun trap. I give them a week and then pot them up to their final pots and add some chicken manure pellets.
    Not much to do after that. Slugs are a pain so as soon as you see some damage hunt until you find them and fire them into the compost bin. Water them, give them fertilizer every week or so and come August/September you'll have as many peppers as you want.
    I've always grown them outdoors in pots but am thinking of investing in a greenhouse or some raised beds this year. Did lettuce, spring onion and some salad leaves last year as well so expanding beyond just chillis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you want to bypass the germination stage you can wait till Aldi has their Chilli seedlings in stock.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

This year I will mostly be growing Jalapeno's (rated 8000 see below) and Chlli Pepper 'Prairie Fire' (Hot)
    All thompson seeds from the local woodies

Ive found them incredibly easy to grow, often using a foot long tray on a window sill, they can take a fair amount of abuse, forgetting to water them etc etc

Here is the hotness scale for Chillies called the scoville scale...note the police pepper rating!!! (5000)

https://www.houseofscoville.com.au/pages/the-scoville-heat-scale-chilli-peppers-list

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/frequently-asked-questions/the-scoville-scale/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Thanks for the guide dude, I'll have to start out with no grow light as I don't have the money to invest in any equipment, even very reasonably priced equipment. We should have most everything else in the gaff from normal gardening though.

• Advertisement

jim o doom wrote: »
    Thanks for the guide dude, I'll have to start out with no grow light as I don't have the money to invest in any equipment, even very reasonably priced equipment. We should have most everything else in the gaff from normal gardening though.

ive been growing them for years, all you need is a windowsill, pot and seeds

th emissus puts ours into jars with oil like you see in the shops, that preserves them and they make for good presents

ive been growing them for years, all you need is a windowsill, pot and seeds

Agreed. Nice sunny windowsill and you don't need grow lights or a propagator. All they need is light, warmth and water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

First steps on to the Scoville scale. About 15 Cayenne pepper plants are poking their heads above the soil. Will give them another week before putting them in individual pots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Is it too late to sow them now? Have seeds, have propagators, have a nice windowsill but it looks like you started them weeks ago already?

I did mine exactly one week ago and they are flying. Nothing to lose by giving them a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I sowed padrons and jalapenos today, a gateway drug situation I hope. I have them on a sunny windowsill above a radiator, sowed lightly in a potting compost tray with a transparent lid. Hope that's cosy enough. Once I see double leaves, can I just move them to larger pots and leave them in the same location? We can murder any amount of padrons so fingers crossed.

This thread is hugely inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 podger79

Any updates?

Well I managed to drop the tray of potted chilis when I was bringing them back in from the green house in early April.
    Six survived. Three are now fairly weedy and skinny. Three are a decent size.

Got fed up looking at them in the utility room so they're in the green house full time now. I was bringing them out every day and back in for all of May.

No fruits yet but they are tipping on.

• Advertisement

I have a couple of Apache chilli plants growing on a windowsill which are both doing rather well and have lots of fruit growing, which are meant to be inch long green chillies according to the label.

However, one of the plants has one bright red chilli just begging to grow. Is this normal?

Advertisement