Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cite this?

Options
  • 09-02-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭

In a follow up to my other woe's,
    I'm doing another LR:(, for Y/E, it on the same topic and three of its applications.

I found a paper(1) which covers a lot of the info I want to reference, so how do I cite these? do I refer to the paper(1) I'm taking it from or reference those cited in the paper(1) I'm reading?

As nothing is straightforward, if I use a few quotes from this paper(1) are they considered as one source or not?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Maybe too late as you've probably finished by now, but always go back to the original research. If paper(1) cites the results of a third-party study, do not cite paper(1) as the source. That's one of the worst sins of academia.

Additionally, if you can find only one source for the topic/results/application, you should treat it with suspicion. Most of the worst "fake news" in academia comes from multiple papers citing the same (sometimes flawed) original study. So go looking for additional work that confirms - or refutes - the point you want to make, or include a caveat in your own text.

Advertisement