Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hall of Fame 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

WWE are running out of people to induct into the Hall of Fame.
    They should begin inducting matches, e.g. Stone Cold vs Bret at Mania 13, Taker vs Michaels at Mania 25 etc.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induct songs, so I don't see why WWE can't induct matches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sirmanga wrote:
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induct songs, so I don't see why WWE can't induct matches.

Fair point. It does seem like they're just doubling up on the already inducted people now.

Question, has The Rock been inducted yet? I cant honestly remember.

The debate over inductees is fairly robust as is. Imagine they started inducting matches :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭briany

Necro wrote: »
    The debate over inductees is fairly robust as is. Imagine they started inducting matches :pac:

Maybe not matches, but great feuds/programs would be worth a shout. I think the crowd would pop for the Austin/McMahon feud getting a bit more play, for example. The good thing about it would be you could induct more than one feud, but feature the one that has both performers still alive and willing to appear on the stage together, and they can slip back into cutting promos on each other, disagreeing about who got the better of who etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That would only serve to remind us how great the product was (in the top feuds) and how poor it is now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

sirmanga wrote: »
    WWE are running out of people to induct into the Hall of Fame.
    They should begin inducting matches, e.g. Stone Cold vs Bret at Mania 13, Taker vs Michaels at Mania 25 etc.

I've heard it rumoured in the past that they were going to do this. They've some back catalogue they can trawl through. Should it be exclusively mania matches?

The problem with inducting feuds over matches is that feuds in wrestling kind of go in and out, sometimes there's no real end, or it may fizzle out, or go on too long. Or they may pick up again a few months or years later.
    With a match, it's just one thing. One great match.

Maybe they could even have it be genuinely voted on by WWE wrestlers. Have a list of 10, and the HOF match could be announced on the night of the ceremony. Have it be a surprise, like the Oscars.

Although, I'm sure Vince would insist on it not being up to a vote. He would want the final say.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Should it be exclusively mania matches?

No, if they were to do it, it should be wide open. Even to other promotions, like WCW, ECW, AWA etc. Just like the Hall of Fame is currently.

But maybe have a rule that the match must be at least 10 years old. That would stop any possible talk of someone having a match, and right afterwards fans suggesting it should be inducted the very next year.
    It would also be a treat for long time fans when the tenth anniversary of a great match is coming up, such as Taker vs Michaels at Mania 25. "Oh such and such a match is 10 years old this year, it's eligible for the Hall of Fame" etc.
    However, I don't think WWE has the patience for that. Sometimes it seems they think their fans have a short attention span.

Although, maybe the matches in the HOF thing isn't such a good idea. It would undoubtedly lead to an irritating crowd chant of "Hall of Fame! Hall of Fame!" during any decent to good match taking place, similar to the "This is Awesome" chant (which, incidentally, does seem to be dying off).

Punk VS Cena at Money in the Bank would be another good shout. Wonder should we start another thread as it's a cool topic to discuss.

Necro wrote: »
    Punk VS Cena at Money in the Bank would be another good shout. Wonder should we start another thread as it's a cool topic to discuss.

What would you think about matches that hold historical significance but weren't worth a lot in terms of ring work? Such as Hogan/Andre? It's a terrible match, but one of the most famous wrestling matches ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But so is the Montreal Screwjob. Should that be eligible?

• Advertisement

sirmanga wrote:
    What would you think about matches that hold historical significance but weren't worth a lot in terms of ring work? Such as Hogan/Andre? It's a terrible match, but one of the most famous wrestling matches ever.

Yeah it probably, if it were to happen, deserves a slot. I think matches with iconic moments are definitely on the table for discussion at the very least.
    Then there's multi man matches, gimmick matches etc.

Eg the first TLC between Dudley's, E&C and Hardy's.
    Or Edge VS Foley at Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

sirmanga wrote: »

I dont think it should. I realise it is a famous match, but isnt it just famous for the bodyslam more than anything else? And maybe Andre getting pinned for the first time ever. Apart from that, its a horrible match to rewatch. Steamboat v macho man from the same show would be hall of fame worthy in my mind.

Actually I dont think they should add any matches. Too many problems.
    What about main the wrestlemania 20 main event? At the time, it was my favourite match of all time, with all 3 wrestlers putting on a great show. Same goes for the 2003 royal rumble main event. An excellent match. Alas, neither can be watched in the same way ever again for obvious reasons. Would e&c/dudleys and hardys have multiple entrants from their ladder and TLC days?

ps, this is obviously my own opinion. Last year the triple threat smackdown womens match got moty by lots of organisations, when I thought becky v charlotte @ evolution was better than the triple threat.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But so is the Montreal Screwjob. Should that be eligible?

That was actually a pretty exciting match, even without what happened at the end.

But the Montreal Screwjob is remembered more as an infamous event instead of a famous match, like Hogan vs Andre. Therefore, I don't think it would be in the discussion for such a HOF.

First Hell in the Cell. A cert if ever there was one.
    Bret vs Shawn at Mania 12, Iron Man Match.
    Shawn vs Cena on Raw (1hr match)
    Brock vs Eddie for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bret vs Shawn at Mania 12, Iron Man Match.

Thought that was a bit boring tbh. A fall each would've made it exponentially better. It drags massively in the middle.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Thought that was a bit boring tbh. A fall each would've made it exponentially better. It drags massively in the middle.

Nah bro. They needed to go 0-0. Neither one could outdo the other, they were so evenly matched. Required extra time to get it finished.

Had there been a fall each, there would have been weakness on display. Say Bret gets the first fall on Shawn after 30 mins. How does he sufficiently recover, not to be pinned again, for the next 30. This logic is missing from virtually all modern Iron man matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The ten man tag from In Your House: Canadian Stampede has to be up there. Top class from start to finish with an absolutely electric atmosphere, some of the biggest names in wrestling, Austin against basically the whole nation of Canada :D

Rock/Hogan from 18 would have to go in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

Rock/Hogan from 18 would have to go in too.

I remember rushing everyone out of the pub that night in order to get back to a viewing party, cos it was the rock v hogan. But it wasnt a great match in all fairness. Hogan was well past it, then again, I cant think of any of his matches I would class as HOF worthy. If anything, it was memorable for the crowd turning on the rock and for supporting hogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Nah bro. They needed to go 0-0. Neither one could outdo the other, they were so evenly matched. Required extra time to get it finished.

Had there been a fall each, there would have been weakness on display. Say Bret gets the first fall on Shawn after 30 mins. How does he sufficiently recover, not to be pinned again, for the next 30. This logic is missing from virtually all modern Iron man matches.

You could easily tell a story over an hour that keeps them easily matched but lets them drop a fall each. Tiredness becoming a factor for the older Bret, the grand stage getting to new main eventer Shawn. Focus drifting from either competitor. Even something like one of them viciously taking a DQ for the bigger picture thinking they could injure theor opponent for two falls. I don't know, I found the start and end decent but there's a massive lull in the middle for me.

I agree with you on your point though about people having matches that end 6-7 etc. Don't like that.

• Advertisement

Brutal "the Booty" Crapcake finally confirmed.

Here was me hoping it was an April Fool's prank.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1112746462289510405

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,905 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be fair Beefcake was a huge part of the Rock and Wrestling of the 80's.

Since they are giving out second rings for fun these days guys like Beefcake deserve at least one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can't remember a more underwhelming Hall of Fame class.
    Would it not have made sense to put Batista in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Memories of playing Smackdown Vs Raw and wondering who is this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Now they have their reason to bring Hogan in, brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't it his window that Jannetty tried to escape through?

• Advertisement

Disappointed Beefcake didn't get a highlight reel video package.

Disappointed Beefcake didn't get a highlight reel video package.

Shows how much it actually means tbh

This is close enough

ERG89 wrote: »
    Can't remember a more underwhelming Hall of Fame class.
    Would it not have made sense to put Batista in?

I get what you mean, but on paper this is one of the greatest Hall of Fame classes ever, when you break down the individuals going in.

Bret Hart, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Booker T, Honky Tonk Man.

And yes, I do include Honky Tonk Man as one of the greatest because he was over huge. He couldn't do five star matches, but that doesn't matter. We have great matches every week these days and I couldn't be less interested in the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Amongst others, Bruiser Brody and Luna Vachon have been announced for the Hall of Fame legacy wing. You could argue that both deserve to be in the Hall of Fame proper, Luna in particular was fairly prominent for a lot of the 90s. Brody barely appeared in WWE, was apparently blacklisted after an argument with Gorilla Monsoon. His stuff is pretty legendary though, some bloody battles on the network against Terry Gordy and Abdullah the Butcher well worth checking out.

Quickly running out of WWF/E name value guys to put into the HoF to be honest.

• Advertisement

One from my childhood also going into the Legacy Wing.......Jobber to the stars SD Jones.

Hopefully the likes of Barry Horowitz & Iron Mike Sharpe get in too and they were a huge part of wrestling in the 80's putting over the stars.

Quickly running out of WWF/E name value guys to put into the HoF to be honest.

Batista, Undertaker, The Rock, HHH, Cena, Jericho, Kane, Big Show, Vince himself.
    Guys like Vader, Rvd, JBL, Bundy, Pillman, Bulldog, Christian, the Hardy's, Paul Heyman, Owen Hart, Luger, Cornette, IRS, the Steiners
    There are tons who deserve to be in but some clearly won't get in. No surprise they distanced themselves from Brody being a bigger inductee as they don't want people discussing his death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

God that’s rough for torrie on what should be a great night for her

https://twitter.com/wwe/status/1114629388677599232?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

What time does this start Irish time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's awful for Torrie Wilson.

I remember the Dawn Marie/Al stuff on Smackdown being amusing. Dunno if that's the passing of time playing tricks on me and if it was worse than I remember but I can recall the commentary from Cole and Tazz: "Look at Dawn!", "Look at Al!", "Look at Dawn!", "Look at Al!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah Christ that’s awful news on Torrie’s dad dying. I mean on a week where she should be a very happy moment for her and her family clearly won’t be now.

I see chyna’s mother is at the HOF from pictures on Twitter. That’s a nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lacey living the gimmick...

ebiq3y37xpq21.jpg

Kalisto's wife also living the gimmick, she's there in a mask with him on the red carpet

Good lord, Paige looks amazing there in the red carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,582 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Corbin is like Boy George :p

Kalisto's wife also living the gimmick, she's there in a mask with him on the red carpet

I saw that and thats fair enough but who was the lad in the glasses next to kalisto’s wife ?

The new set up using the ring has all the signs of taking the pressure off the ring crew for mania weekend. It saves them taking down and putting it back up again before Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** me Mizs dad is wooden

Are the NWO in the hall of fame ??

Will the brothers of destruction go in as a team before Kane/Taker individually

God, what is it with all these otherwise beautiful women with the big fish lips and the puffy cheeks.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I saw that and thats fair enough but who was the lad in the glasses next to kalisto’s wife ?

They said it was his cousin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sky88 wrote: »
    God that’s rough for torrie on what should be a great night for her

https://twitter.com/wwe/status/1114629388677599232?s=21

Very sad and freaky given his storyline death and the real life timing of his death on the day his daughter is going in the hall of fame

Honky hasn't aged since the 80s

• Advertisement

Shawn would want to start acting like a grown up and get rid of the hats and bandanas. You're bald Shawn. Nobody cares!
    A cowboy hat at the Hall of Fame. What a twerp.

Advertisement