Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Germany pulls out of Operation Sophia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭sparky42

Indeed, though I wonder will they look at the UN operation, who else is in that one? I'd prefer staying in a mission that has more multinational engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

sparky42 wrote: »
    Indeed, though I wonder will they look at the UN operation, who else is in that one? I'd prefer staying in a mission that has more multinational engagement.

The Leb one? Thought the Italians were in that? Also I'm pretty sure there was a German Corvette doing duty there a few years back, think there was a Vid on youtube.

Edit: Found one here,

Actually didn't realise how many are involved in it, my bad, either so I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

sparky42 wrote: »
    Actually didn't realise how many are involved in it, my bad, either so I suppose.

You would have to wonder though, how defencible our Ships are in either?
    What with Hezbollah firing off the odd shoulder launched missile, or the Somali pirates with RPG's etc......

You would have to wonder though, how defencible our Ships are in either?
    What with Hezbollah firing off the odd shoulder launched missile, or the Somali pirates with RPG's etc......

Yeah, could get hot alright and certainly they aren't going to care that it's Irish. It's a high risk if they deploy there, might be lower risk down off Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Interesting development. Obviously ship defence is the key issue, but I think its very important to carry on with such involvement to improve joint operations and military as well as political cooperation.

Of the two operations, anti-piracy is obviously a safer and better fit for the NS experience. I've no idea how sensitive the sensor suite is, but not having an automatic CIWS is clearly a disadvantage. Would there be scope to operatein formation with more heavily armed EU ships and be under their defence umbrella, or is that just not practical for typical demands?

Advertisement