Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA smart blinds

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

On sale in Germany right now and by the looks, the rest of Europe could be next month.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/ikea-rolls-out-its-smart-blinds-with-wider-launch-on-feb-2/

Asked IKEA Dublin on Twitter if these would be in Ireland in February and they replied 'yes' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Asked IKEA Dublin on Twitter if these would be in Ireland in February and they replied 'yes' :)

Feck it. Wiukd love these, but most of our windows are tilt and turn opening inwards, so can't use blinds according to she who must be obeyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

145 seems to the biggest they do , unfortunately our windows are 180.

ted1 wrote: »
    145 seems to the biggest they do , unfortunately our windows are 180.

Can they be cut down though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes but can't cut them up :)

• Advertisement

Feck it. Wiukd love these, but most of our windows are tilt and turn opening inwards, so can't use blinds according to she who must be obeyed.

Fix them to the ceiling above the window rather than the window itself

Apparently not.

listermint wrote: »
    Yes but can't cut them up :)

Doh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Max size of 140 is a pity. Typical window sizes in Ireland are probably 160+, non?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Anyone know of they would work on a velux? i.e. sloped

What would slope have to do with it . They work vertically so yes would work slightly more horizontally

Velux have their own smart blinds and have had them for years.

listermint wrote: »
    What would slope have to do with it . They work vertically so yes would work slightly more horizontally

They won't work on a sloped window - when the blind rolls out, it'll just hang vertically down the window.

To make it work on a sloped window, you'd need to fit some kind of tensioner to keep the blind parallel to the window.
    On a velux, chances are you'd also have difficulty getting the actual roller to fit in a way that didn't make the velux difficult to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I wonder if there is any chance they will sell just an automation kit for existing blinds?
    Something like just the motor and control unit.

banie01 wrote: »
    I wonder if there is any chance they will sell just an automation kit for existing blinds?
    Something like just the motor and control unit.

Theres nothing like that on the German website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

seamus wrote: »
    Max size of 140 is a pity. Typical window sizes in Ireland are probably 160+, non?

Crap yea, the window in my sitting room 172cm. I wonder is it a technical limitation that the blinds are so narrow, nearly all my windows are well over 140cm...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Crap yea, the window in my sitting room 172cm. I wonder is it a technical limitation that the blinds are so narrow, nearly all my windows are well over 140cm...

Could it be that maybe windows in Europe are typically a narrower width? When I think of all the times I've been to Poland they'd typically have two windows in a living room which would be narrower than what we have here.

Maybe they'll adjust the sizing for other markets?

1200px-PA260057.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Could it be that maybe windows in Europe are typically a narrower width? When I think of all the times I've been to Poland they'd typically have two windows in a living room which would be narrower than what we have here.

Maybe they'll adjust the sizing for other markets?

1200px-PA260057.JPG

I thought that, but I dont think its the case. From looking at the German website, all their regular blinds come in the standard wide fitting similar to Ireland. Its jut the smart blinds that come in the narrow fitting

I think when these are launched in Ireland, we shouldnt expect anything over 140cm :(

I thought that, but I dont think its the case. From looking at the German website, all their regular blinds come in the standard wide fitting similar to Ireland. Its jut the smart blinds that come in the narrow fitting

I think when these are launched in Ireland, we shouldnt expect anything over 140cm :(
    Could be a motor limitation, there's only so much power a small battery can produce. Which means that eventually they'll get bigger.

• Advertisement

I’d say it’s down to weight, and the motor & battery size

Up in the Irish site now , but shown out if stick. Unfortunately they don’t have larger ones.

Price is more or less the same as other European countries

ted1 wrote: »
    Up in the Irish site now , but shown out if stick. Unfortunately they don’t have larger ones.

Price is more or less the same as other European countries

They've just said on Twitter that there won't be stock here till May :(

Given these won't fit most of our windows sadly and in any case it's a few months until Dublin will have stock.

Does anyone know of any other Irish or even NI seller of smart blinds (know they won't be as cheap as Ikea).

Advertisement