Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2017 Playoff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Great game, really swung back and forth. Big call to call Lobaton on in the bottom of 8th. Incredible outing from Davis, most pitches he has ever thrown.

Bit crazy that the game only ended at 12:45am local time but I guess that's the TV scheduling for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Great game, really swung back and forth. Big call to call Lobaton on in the bottom of 8th. Incredible outing from Davis, most pitches he has ever thrown.

Bit crazy that the game only ended at 12:45am local time but I guess that's the TV scheduling for you.

Amazing stuff. Longest 9 inning playoff game apparently.

I see there’s a bit of controversy over one of the calls on last night’s game. Player shouldn’t have been allowed to advance after catcher was hit (accidentally) by hitter’s swing through. Supposed to be dead ball. And he came around to score. Big deal in 1 run game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

The Nats completely choked yet again. Every time the Cubs got runners on they seemed to have no idea how to hold them.

At the end of the day the few spectacular defensive plays the Cubs were able to turn proved to be the difference, especially with how poorly the Nats defended.

Got to feel for the Nats. Going to be some relief when they finally win a series. I'd rather be an Indians fan than a Nats fan right now.

As for the Cubs - come at us bro :P
    We owe ye for last season. I think the Dodgers will take it in 5 or 6. Cubs aren't as good as last season, and we're better.
    Pitchers are fully rested (even though I dont like them being too rested, if that makes sense), and we're getting production from throughout our lineup.

Yankees vs Dodgers World Series still on the cards.

On a side note, I'd love to see Andre Ethier get a big hit at some stage in the Playoffs. Can't see him playing for us for too much longer, and always a big fan. Would love him to sign out in style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Whew and breathe!! Cubs come through yet again. Every player was absolutely on it last night and their whole spirit was epitomised by Willson's throw out at first in the 8th.

The Cubs are now a battle hardened unit where a third consecutive season in the postseason is showing its benefits. There is now pretty much nothing that any team can throw at the Cubs that they will not have encountered already.

It will be interesting how the two teams will fare. On paper the Dodgers are the better team this year and, overall, have had the better season so far. The Dodgers have had three straightforward games in the past fortnight while the Cubs have had a war in each of the last five. However will the Dodgers be ready if things get ugly? Also it will be interesting to see how the Dodgers will play in a chilly Chicago in the middle of October. It didn't suit them last year and we will see if they learned any lessons from their defeat at this stage last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭boccy23

4 hours 47 minutes.
    That was the length of last nights game. It's no wonder that Baseball is not attracting a younger audience.
    Started at 8:08ET so that would make it 12:53AM ET by the time it finished.
    Crazy.

boccy23 wrote: »
    4 hours 47 minutes.
    That was the length of last nights game. It's no wonder that Baseball is not attracting a younger audience.
    Crazy.

I think they need to limit pitching changes.
    Go with the soccer thing, and only allow 3 pitching changes per team. If the last pitcher gets injured, then tough, outfielder needs to pitch.
    Nothing worse than seeing a batter walk up, commercial break for a pitcher change. 12pitch at bat results in a walk. Commercial break for another pitching change. Late innings can be horrific for it.
    Maybe allow an additional change if it's within the first 4 innings, and 1 extra change per inning if the game goes to extras.
    Multiple changes within an inning are crazy.

boccy23 wrote: »
    4 hours 47 minutes.
    Crazy.

Metro in DC was only extended to get people home after the electricity company agreed to put up $100k. The Nats refused to pay it.

They should change the rule so that if a relief pitcher comes in, he must at least see out the inning before another pitching substitution is allowed. This would stop guys coming in to pitch for one at bat late on to exploit a left/right combination or some other such reason.

• Advertisement

Doodah7 wrote: »
    They should change the rule so that if a relief pitcher comes in, he must at least see out the inning before another pitching substitution is allowed. This would stop guys coming in to pitch for one at bat late on to exploit a left/right combination or some other such reason.

I’d start with limiting mound visits. I didn’t see all of last night’s game so don’t know if it was an issue this time but the numbers of visits seems to have gone way up.

I’d start with limiting mound visits. I didn’t see all of last night’s game so don’t know if it was an issue this time but the numbers of visits seems to have gone way up.

Limit the catcher going out as a start as well. That pisses me off no end. All related to sign stealing. Why not have a mike like a QB in football. Or something else.

Problem I see with the other suggestions is that you are changing the fundamentals of the game. The "loogie" would be eliminated from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I think they need to limit pitching changes.
    Go with the soccer thing, and only allow 3 pitching changes per team. If the last pitcher gets injured, then tough, outfielder needs to pitch.
    Nothing worse than seeing a batter walk up, commercial break for a pitcher change. 12pitch at bat results in a walk. Commercial break for another pitching change. Late innings can be horrific for it.
    Maybe allow an additional change if it's within the first 4 innings, and 1 extra change per inning if the game goes to extras.
    Multiple changes within an inning are crazy.

They don't need the commercial breaks for the pitching changes. The amount of standing around is ridiculous when at a live game, and that's all for TV purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

PhilipsR wrote: »
    They don't need the commercial breaks for the pitching changes. The amount of standing around is ridiculous when at a live game, and that's all for TV purposes.

A few things they can do to speed up the play:

1 A pitching clock. 20 seconds should be more then sufficient
    2 Keep batters in the batting box
    3 Limit pitchers visit to the mound. One per innings and no more then 30 seconds
    4 Limit pitching coaches visits. Only three per game
    5 Limit the number of pitching changes

PhilipsR wrote: »

That's exactly it - it's all about squeezing ads in. A good question to ask also is why did the game not start until 8pm local time (hint: TV again)

Before they put in the clock for between innings or pitching changes there was a guy who stood near home plate and signalled to the umpires when the TV stations were back so that play could resume.

I don't want to see the number of pitchers limited, I think this would fundamentally change the game and not for the better. They can definitely speed up pitching changes though (not necessarily between inning breaks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Raging I'm not near the tele for the game tonight.. Mon the Yankees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

What an effort by Verlander tonight.

Great drama in that last inning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

What an effort by Verlander tonight.
    This! Great to see a starting pitcher been allowed to go the distance in a game been dominated more and more by bullpens...

Wooo Dodgers.
    Hoping for a big performance out of Rich Hill tonight. If we can take 2 from 2 at home, I'm going to be awfully confident

As for Puig, he's been great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

CC dealing in the Bronx!

• Advertisement

Just watched the condensed game on YouTube..

Really happy with how CC pitched.. But i wanna see this level of intensity for every game now

Absolutely no run support for Gray tonight..

The Yankees wake up after going 4-0 down.. Bottom of the 8th and it's a 4-4 game

Boooommmm

Sanchez with the double to bring Judge and Didi home

Yankees lead 6-4

Chapman with the save..

What a game.. And we have a series!!!

Cubs are in big trouble now.

Cubs are in big trouble now.

Cubs are gone IMO. Can't buy a hit when it matters and nearly all of the relievers need to be moved on in the off-season. Mike Montgomery is simply a liability at this stage. Although the crucial mistake was using Lackey the other night in Game 2 instead of Wade Davis. It could now happen that Davis will not pitch in this Series after practically single-handedly dragging them into it in the first place!!

The Cub with the the highest BA is Bryant (0.219). Three others are on or over .200 and the rest below with Heyward at 0.125!! You cannot win baseball games with these averages. The irony is that, as usual, the Cubs starting pitching has been among the best.

However at the end of the day, the Dodgers have been the best team in baseball this season and other than their late season blip, have mowed down everyone in their way. I expect that to continue all the way to the title.

Never in a million years did I think we'd be 3 up against the Cubs.
    Hope they can close it out tonight

Great game again tonight... Yankees 4-0 up top of the 6th

Great game again tonight... Yankees 4-0 up top of the 6th
    Some atmosphere there.

• Advertisement

Tanaka pitched so well tonight
    He was lights out..

7.0 IP, 3 H, BB, 8K

Yankees win 5-0 and lead the series 3-2

I wish Joe Buck would just give up commentating - he is literally the worst.

I wish Joe Buck would just give up commentating - he is literally the worst.

Don't get me started on that clown

The Cubs clinging on and the Yankees with one foot in the World Series.

They've been the team off the Post Season so far

Some atmosphere there.

It was the best Baseball atmosphere I think I've ever seen. More like a football game. The Yankee crowd really brought it and I think it definitely helped their team win.

Liked John Smoltz but would definitely agree about Joe Buck. Would like to see Fox have some hispanic's at the stadium though. I know Big Papi is in the studio, but I think the ESPN field reporters being a different insight.

Astros definitely need another complete game from Verlander because their Bull Pen is not working at all

• Advertisement

RIP Cubs. 7-0 down and only 4th inning.

Goodnight Chicago. It was fun while it lasted.

The Cubs will need to look at thei Bulllpen in the Offseason. It was a mess last year

Woooo Dodgers.
    Woke during the night, so quickly glanced at my phone and saw it was 7-0
    Slept very easily after that.
    ESPN think the Dodgers should want the Astros in the WS.
    When I got back into Baseball was the late 90s when the Yankees were unreal, so part of me really wants to take them on

Don't get me started on that clown

At least during October, we get a break from him on NFL games!

Astros definitely need another complete game from Verlander because their Bull Pen is not working at all

Even if they win Game 6, Game 7's going to be tough going up against CC.

The media (and the TV Network) will be praying for an LA/NYY World Series but I hope Houston some how pull it out. Can't believe how quiet their bats have gone.

• Advertisement

I'll watch as much as i can tonight, im away so Mobdro on the phone will come in handy

The media (and the TV Network) will be praying for an LA/NYY World Series but I hope Houston some how pull it out. Can't believe how quiet their bats have gone.

Yeah, honestly, Houston deserve it based on their performances over the course of the season. They were incredible during the first half of the season.

Yankees would probably be better for me, just in terms of catching some game time during the week.

Yankees vs Dodgers could be hugely exciting in the late innings of a tight game. Yankees probably hold an edge when it comes to the bullpens, but it would be extremely tight

Anyway, hope to catch some of tonights game when I get in from the pub.
    Going to cheer on the Astros, only because I always cheer on the underdog when I'm a neutral (Totally not because the pitchers might get exhausted in a 7 game series :P )

Not playoff related but worth reporting anyway, Dusty Baker will not return as Nat's manager next season. I had heard there was a chance of this but I think it's a bit harsh. OK, he didn't get out of the 1st round again but that Game 5 could have gone anyway and they have won the division handily the past couple of years.

Bring him to the Mets...!!!

Glad I live on the West Coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

This! And their bullpen that was great during the season is not looking so secure in this series either but Verlander is looking up for it...

Let's fecking do this..

Cc needs to pitch like his career depends on it..

Sweet jebus... Aaron Judge.. What a catch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

BT have missed an entire at bat, Reddick's first hit, to take a full ad break, ridiculous.

Feck sake.. CC pulled.. Just went off the boil in the 4th

• Advertisement
Advertisement