Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint ill

Options
  • 18-04-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a three week old calf with joint ill in both his front knees
    They are both very swollen and he's limping in one of them
    If been treating him for 12 days now with linspec which is supposed to be a very good drug
    I'm finished it in 2 days time but he's not getting better.
    He's in good form and getting around
    Any ideas.??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jd06 wrote: »
    If been treating him for 12 days now with linspec which is supposed to be a very good drug
    Any ideas.??
    are you bathing the joints, it can take weeks for the swelling to go. Last one we injected with noroclav for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, any case of Joint ill here got Noroclav for two weeks to cure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Noroclav here aswell. If he is knuckling on the joints you could splint them. Helps to regain the power in the tendons. The longer they are left the more difficult it becomes. Some form of heat rub. Poitin and wintergreen can help the muscles and tendons aswell. If its an extreme case and times are desperate!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'd suggest you talk to your vet again.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Senulux works well for joint ill
    (Unsure of proper spelling)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

solerina wrote: »
    Senulux works well for joint ill
    (Unsure of proper spelling)

Synulox. Same ingredients as Noroclav.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I've treated calves here for months. They will come right but joint I'll takes time to cure. A shot of iodine on the naval at birth is a cheap precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

greysides wrote: »
    Synulox. Same ingredients as Noroclav.

Would linspec be better???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Any ideas.??

You should be talking to your vet. 12 days on antibiotics and no improvement is not good.

Would linspec be better???

Both drugs would be reasonable options. Bacterial sensitivity could be the decider. You should talk to your vet.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

Both drugs would be reasonable options. Bacterial sensitivity could be the decider. You should talk to your vet.

no prob. ill talk to him tomorrow . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Can you have joint ill in only one joint and should it run a temp with it ,?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

sonnybill wrote: »
    Can you have joint ill in only one joint and should it run a temp with it ,?

Yeah, ive seen it in only one joint here.
    Wouldnt necessarily expect to see a temp with it. Have seen calves in good form running about and sucking away and still have it.

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, ive seen it in only one joint here.
    Wouldnt necessarily expect to see a temp with it. Have seen calves in good form running about and sucking away and still have it.

He may have hurt it but seems to not want to put any weight on rear right leg, will get vet to check him over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Is joint ill not more commonly seen in the front legs? I actually don't know so this is more a question than anything else, but from memory of the calves I've seen with it it's been the front legs flaring up first.

Is joint ill not more commonly seen in the front legs? I actually don't know so this is more a question than anything else, but from memory of the calves I've seen with it it's been the front legs flaring up first.

I never had it tbh vet came and heat in that joint/ rear leg alright and 6 days of antibiotics and 3 days pain relief , big calf spent a lot of time lying but I did iodine the life out of him but must have still got into him, he was late getting the cows colostrum too between the not sucking / tubing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

He may have hurt it but seems to not want to put any weight on rear right leg, will get vet to check him over

Would have thought your outside calving regime should negate joint ill

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Would have thought your outside calving regime should negate joint ill

I had him in around the pen to get him sucking right for 2/3 days, rest of them all out and this fella has been hassle from the start, her last four calves never a hand left to them

He got 7 days of synulox and five days anti inflammatorys and he was I thought past it but relapsed he now 7 days into a course of Cyclosal LA where active ingredient is oxytetracycline and he worse than ever on front and rear on right hand side .

Any proven antibiotic/ cures or poitin into joints or anything as he a fine calf

Any proven antibiotic/ cures or poitin into joints or anything as he a fine calf

This really is something you need to discuss with your vet.

Joint Ill can be hard to cure, especially if colostrum intake was insufficient, but a long course of antibiotics can be successful sometimes. Two weeks long, for example.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We changed to a chlorhexidine navel dip for the lambs about ten years ago and have had a major improvement since.

This really is something you need to discuss with your vet.

Joint Ill can be hard to cure, especially if colostrum intake was insufficient, but a long course of antibiotics can be successful sometimes. Two weeks long, for example.

Hi greysides, yeah I’ll stick to the 7ml every three days as prescribed and see how he goes but seems to be doing nothing for him and horrible to see him not thriving, i in contact with my vet regularly

wrangler wrote: »
    We changed to a chlorhexidine navel dip for the lambs about ten years ago and have had a major improvement since.

I dipped him several times with regular iodine solution but was late getting the cows colostrum into him

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Miname wrote: »
    I've treated calves here for months. They will come right but joint I'll takes time to cure. A shot of iodine on the naval at birth is a cheap precaution.

You can be unlucky and miss a calf. It all starts with a swole or hard navel at 4-10 days. If you check there navels you should catch it early and it’s very easy to clear up. I had a really bad calf with it about four years ago. He never really cleared out of it. I spray all calf’s with iodine but the odd one can still get a navel infection

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We give synulox or betamox 10ml for 10 days. Also bathe the joint or navel in salt and water.

I moved him today where crush is better and I gave him 4 Actimel probiotic and going to give him that everyday and also gave him his regular antibiotic

I moved him today where crush is better and I gave him 4 Actimel probiotic and going to give him that everyday and also gave him his regular antibiotic

I'd hold off on the probiotic till the course of antibiotics is finished for a few days. ATM, you're killing the probiotic bugs with the antibiotics.

Adam Grant

i in contact with my vet regularly

Ask him if there's anything he could be given with the Cyclosol LA to boost it a bit. You can't wait for ever for improvement, it sounds as if the Synulox was working better but you stopped too soon.

Adam Grant

Ask him if there's anything he could be given with the Cyclosol LA to boost it a bit. You can't wait for ever for improvement, it sounds as if the Synulox was working better but you stopped too soon.

I agree and would happily go back to it and inject every day , calf loved the Actimel 4.99 for 12 bottles .. won’t do him any harm , I’ve poitin to rub into the joints tomorrow too

• Advertisement

Well I’m delighted after the 20 days of norclav, actimels, poitin, etoflame rub(for humans) minerals etc he seems to have healed up , I put him back with the rest of them , the company of other calves also imo helped him / encouraged the movement as he can play away with some of the other calves, its nice when the time and effort pays off

Advertisement