Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Chelsea
    Only a few nonths ago and chelsea were in a title race. Should be given more time imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Chelsea
    If recent history has taught us anything it is that once you lose the Chelsea dressing room it stays lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Chelsea
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I find it funny how fans of teams take everything so personally like they have a stake in the club or something.
    Why do you need to get over in endless childishness? Like you have threads for your club pretty much all to yourselves.
    All the sniping just clogs up threads and makes it difficult to read the sensible stuff.
    The only thread the Utd and Liverpool fans don’t ruin is the LOI one

Surprised they haven’t managed that yet

At this stage I actually think there are more post complaining about the liverpool/utd thing than there are actual sniping posts at each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/1107796284394663936

Abramovich value Chelsea at £2.5 billion as talks of a sale surface again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Southampton
    My first reaction was that Roman was off the wall with that valuation but it seems Chelsea are worth a few quid.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Chelsea
    My first reaction was that Roman was off the wall with that valuation but it seems Chelsea are worth a few quid.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

They own Roman over 1 Billion though, the loan is an interest free loan that he can call in at anytime although they will have 18 months to pay from the date he calls it in.

This loan value no doubt is added to the asking price. And who ever buys the club could easily saddle the club with debt straight away.

Chelsea are at a very critical point right, they could just as easily end up in a debt spiral like Rangers/Portsmouth/Leeds Utd found themselves in.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2018/6/1/17416550/chelsea-owe-1-17-billion-to-abramovich

https://shewore.com/2018/06/01/exposed-chelseas-financial-problems/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea
    If I had all that money the last thing I'd do is buy a premier league club and especially one for 2bn plus. Any club not cooking the books is still hugely reliant on the PL television money, these clubs are going to be in a lot of trouble if Sky and the others ever decide to pay less for it.

10 years ago FSG bought Liverpool for £300m now that was amazingly good business for a big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

rob316 wrote: »
    If I had all that money the last thing I'd do is buy a premier league club and especially one for 2bn plus. Any club not cooking the books is still hugely reliant on the PL television money, these clubs are going to be in a lot of trouble if Sky and the others ever decide to pay less for it.

10 years ago FSG bought Liverpool for £300m now that was amazingly good business for a big club.

A certain way to become a multimillionaire, spend 2 billion on a football club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    Apart from Newcastle there are no potential bargain buys left in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    Sunderland would be a great bargain for the right investor.

One city team huge stadium.

Chelsea
    Apart from Newcastle there are no potential bargain buys left in England.

Even then how big can they grow? It's virtually impossible to break into the top 4 unless your one of the big 6.

Chelsea
    Sunderland would be a great bargain for the right investor.

One city team huge stadium.

No one wants to play up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    rob316 wrote: »
    Even then how big can they grow? It's virtually impossible to break into the top 4 unless your one of the big 6.

City were nobody's until the money came in. Going between Championship and PL for most of the 90s and early 00s. Stabilised themselves in 00s and then the money flowed in after the take over.

No question about it but if Newcastle or Sunderland had of gotten the investment then the clubs fortunes would most likely be reversed.

Shows exactly what can be achieved if you you have a bottomless pit of money.

Chelsea
    They also had a brand new pretty much free stadium paid for by the British taxpayer before the takeover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

They also had a brand new pretty much free stadium paid for by the British taxpayer before the takeover.

And manchester is a more attractive place. It was aslo already on the global map due to manchester united so they could leverage that to a certain extent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    When football players retire they live on pies.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/european-soccer-to-discuss-radical-changes-to-champions-league-11552834959?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/f6dwiEJi1d

Wall Street Journal reporting that the European Super League/Champions League restructuring proposals are bring discussed at a 'brainstorming' meeting with clubs. Any changes will have far reaching consequences for the EPL, with top clubs playing weekend games in Europe, and possibly leaving the EPL when committing to the European league. Nothing decided yet of course, and proposals like this come up every 10 or so years, but interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Man Utd
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/european-soccer-to-discuss-radical-changes-to-champions-league-11552834959?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/f6dwiEJi1d

Wall Street Journal reporting that the European Super League/Champions League restructuring proposals are bring discussed at a 'brainstorming' meeting with clubs. Any changes will have far reaching consequences for the EPL, with top clubs playing weekend games in Europe, and possibly leaving the EPL when committing to the European league. Nothing decided yet of course, and proposals like this come up every 10 or so years, but interesting nonetheless.

It'll never happen ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Chelsea
    It'll never happen ,

Hope it doesnt . champions lesgue in its current format is far superior

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

TitianGerm wrote: »
    City were nobody's until the money came in. Going between Championship and PL for most of the 90s and early 00s. Stabilised themselves in 00s and then the money flowed in after the take over.

They were relegated once from the Premier League in the 90’s (1995/96) & once from Division 1 (1997/98) then achieved back-to-back promotions & subsequently relegated from the Premiership again in 2000/01. They got promoted back to the the top division in 2002/03 where they’ve remained ever since.

5 years out of 13 from the top tier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Chelsea
    https://twitter.com/ed_aarons/status/1109085652753268736?s=21

I know Fulham have been woeful, but it’s still hard to believe how poor he was. I thought he’d compete for signing of the season!

Probably one of those players that will do well again back in France.

Just a disaster of a season all round for Fulham, despite things looking really positive for them pre-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paully D wrote: »

I know Fulham have been woeful, but it’s still hard to believe how poor he was. I thought he’d compete for signing of the season!

Just a disaster of a season all round for Fulham, despite things looking really positive for them pre-season.

I was stunned when Fulham signed him. Very surprised he wasn't a success. To think he could have been a Barca player a couple of years if Nice hadn't blocked the move and now look at him.

Just the wrong club for him i suppose.

Chelsea
    Paully D wrote: »

Ya really surprised at how bad he was but wasn't he go for most clubs as the cold weather cripples him?

Chelsea
    OGS given the Man U job on a permanently.

Got to feel for Poch though two weeks ago he had the choice of the Man U & Madrid jobs now he is stuck at Spurs ;)

Man Utd
    OGS given the Man U job on a permanently.

Got to feel for Poch though two weeks ago he had the choice of the Man U & Madrid jobs now he is stuck at Spurs ;)

Say he is sick,

Stuck at a club who at the end of the season will have finished above United in 3 of the last 4 and haven't even played a home game in two years ,;)

Man Utd
    Imagine when the season ended and United came in second you told United fans by March next they would be hiring the manger of Molde on a full time basis,

Football is a truly crazy sport ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    Say he is sick,

Stuck at a club who at the end of the season will have finished above United in 3 of the last 4 and haven't even played a home game in two years ,;)

They've also less success in those 3/4 years than Utd, Chelsea, or Arsenal.

Teams they've all finished above at least once in that period.

They're on par with Liverpool though in not having success.

Man Utd
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    They've also less success in those 3/4 years than Utd, Chelsea, or Arsenal.

Teams they've all finished above at least once in that period.

They're on par with Liverpool though in not having success.

Depends really take .United v Spurs as that was the conversation

If United finish 5th that would be 2 of the last 4 years out of the Champions league ,

Would you swap two years of Champions league football for one FA Cup win ?

The UEFA Cup is the European equivalent of wining the Championship
    If you want to go down that road it would make Wolves more successful than Spurs for wining a competion that is a level below the one they are playing in

Basically comes down to what you consider more successful one FA CUP win or two years/ one year ( depending if united make top 4 ) of Champions league football ?

Again don't forget two years of ZERO home games for Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    Depends really take .United v Spurs as that was the conversation

If United finish 5th that would be 2 of the last 4 years out of the Champions league ,

Would you swap two years of Champions league football for one FA Cup win ?

Football is about winning trophies, if you dont win any, consistently ending up in the CL and not winning it is great for the balance sheet but wont fill the trophy cabinet.
    The UEFA Cup is the European equivalent of wining the Championship
    If you want to go down that road it would make Wolves more successful than Spurs for wining a completion that is a level below the one they are playing in

Its not really, the English clubs treated it with disdain and looked down their noses at but with 6 viable CL worthy sides, 2 of them have to get in another way and the Europa League is a bigger trophy than the FA or League cup.

Like I'd prefer to finish 5th -17th and win the EL than finish 2nd-4th ebcause youre going into Pot 1 in the CL draw and youre getting a trophy, it far outweighs finishing 2nd-4th and going into pot 2 or 3.

Basically comes down to what you consider more successful one FA CUP win or two years/ one year ( depending if united make top 4 ) of Champions league football ?

Again don't forget two years of ZERO home games for Spurs

Spurs did have a great season at the Lane before it was demolished, they were unbeaten in domestic games I think but moving to Wembley moved them to a bigger stadium, better pitch, better facailities etc.

The stadium theyre going back to, for argument sakes is better than Wembley again but is nothing like what it replaced.

If anything its even less like "home" its a brand new build, while historically on the same site whats it going to do for Spurs that Wembley hasnt already done, the fans will love it and they , more so than the players will think of it as being home, its a seriously impressive stadium but will it make a difference to their results that massively that they'll get over the line in the or PL, I dont think so?

Man Utd
    Like I'd prefer to finish 5th -17th and win the EL than finish 2nd-4th ebcause youre going into Pot 1 in the CL draw and youre getting a trophy, it far outweighs finishing 2nd-4th and going into pot 2 or 3.

Ye missed the playing in the champions league the same time you finish 2nd -4th

Would you prefer to 5th -17th and win the EL or finish's 2nd - 4th while playing in the Champions league

I think you'd be alone in the above, Again top players want to be in the Champions league ,

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    Football is about winning trophies, if you dont win any, consistently ending up in the CL and not winning it is great for the balance sheet but wont fill the trophy cabinet.

Strangely enough hit was your own side United who started the devaluation of the FA Cup, when they pulled out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Man Utd

Strangely enough hit was your own side United who started the devaluation of the FA Cup, when they pulled out of it

Did you just call Gav a United fan?

Man Utd
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Did you just call Gav a United fan?

My bad I'm meant in the club he is calling it a success for.

Anyway In the last 4 years in my opinion Spurs are more successful than United ...if United finish out of the top 4 this season ,

UEFA Cup = championship for the big Clubs

So would come down to

What you prefer one FA cup or Two champion league season's

Who knows maybe United or Spurs will win the thing this year ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd
    Be interesting to see if that massive lucky streak that OGS went on at the start of his tenure will be maintained or the recent games be a more fairer judge. There were some games that United got played off the park but somehow came away with results - Spurs, Leicester, Burnley, Palace, PSG etc.

He is also setting up as a counter attack manager, so once teams cop that and remember that they are playing a OGS-United and not a Jose-United, they will start to sit back and that is a whole new challenge for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    There seems to be a lot of half quotes going on, so maybe I'm reading this wrong. Is there any actually some here arguing that they'd prefer 2 seasons qualifying for the champions league over an FA Cup?

I must be reading that wrong.

Chelsea

It matters **** all to the glazers and barring City, most owners.

Man Utd
    Quazzie wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of half quotes going on, so maybe I'm reading this wrong. Is there any actually some here arguing that they'd prefer 2 seasons qualifying for the champions league over an FA Cup?

I must be reading that wrong.

I'm arguing that in this day and age what would be seen as more successful two year's in the top four or two years out of the top four with a Fa Cup win ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    I'm arguing that in this day and age what would be seen as more successful two year's in the top four or two years out of the top four with a Fa Cup win ,

FA Cup. Always. Every single top team wants to win 3 trophies in the year. League, Champions League, and the FA Cup. League Cup and Europa League are second tier. When you look back at teams from the past they are the three trophies you judge them on. When the current teams are looked back on in 20 years time that's how we'll judge them. No one will know or care that they finished in the top 4 unless they won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Man Utd

FA Cup. Always. Every single top team wants to win 3 trophies in the year. League, Champions League, and the FA Cup. League Cup and Europa League are second tier. When you look back at teams from the past they are the three trophies you judge them on. When the current teams are looked back on in 20 years time that's how we'll judge them. No one will know or care that they finished in the top 4 unless they won it.
    I'd say most clubs view the FA and league cup on a level par. They all field weakened teams unless they get to the QF. European qualification is prioritised more by most for the financial rewards. Fans will have different view but thats the clubs view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I'd gladly never watch an FA cup game again if I could watch my team in the Champions League knockout every year
    I'd even prefer a Europa League win over an FA Cup win, at least it guarantees Champ League for the following year.
    I love the big 2 legged ties against European heavyweights, more so than a match against a lower league side

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's no question about which is more important if you are trying to compete at the top level. Champions League places are so far beyond the FA Cup in terms of importance, that it shouldn't even be an argument. Obviously, winning the FA Cup and getting top 4 would be the goal, but no one would sacrifice a CL spot for an FA Cup win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Man Utd
    Kiith wrote: »
    There's no question about which is more important if you are trying to compete at the top level. Champions League places are so far beyond the FA Cup in terms of importance, that it shouldn't even be an argument. Obviously, winning the FA Cup and getting top 4 would be the goal, but no one would sacrifice a CL spot for an FA Cup win.

Big money wins the the big prizes generally. According to the Deloitte reports In 2016 Arsenal had revenue of £435M to Tottenhams £257M. This year it is projected to be £439M to £428M. Arsenal have stagnated while Spurs have been getting CL in that period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

If Spurs can keep getting CL football, trophies will inevitably follow as they will simply have better players than they would otherwise. Winning the FA Cup one year means, pun intended, FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Man Utd
    The Mulk wrote: »
    I'd gladly never watch an FA cup game again if I could watch my team in the Champions League knockout every year
    I'd even prefer a Europa League win over an FA Cup win, at least it guarantees Champ League for the following year.
    I love the big 2 legged ties against European heavyweights, more so than a match against a lower league side

What age are you can I ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Man Utd

Will people really be looking back on the FA Cup winners from today in 20 years time? Maybe for curiosity's sake but I can barely remember who won the FA Cup last year.

I think it's firmly under a nice day out for the fans category at this stage and there's nothing wrong with that but otherwise nobody really cares. Winning it won't even save a manager's job these days.

Man Utd

He made a good point what has his age got to do with it ?
    These days the FA Cup is dead , has been for years , no one really cares who wins it ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

40 years young, ;)
    I just rather watching Liverpool v Bayern or Man utd v PSG over Liverpool v Northampton Town.
    Never bought into the whole 'Romance of the Cup' narrative that the BBC tries to pedal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Man Utd
    He made a good point what has his age got to do with it ?
    These days the FA Cup is dead , has been for years , no one really cares who wins it ,

It's not dead for fans of teams who haven't ever a chance of winning anything else

It may seem mickey mouse for fans of teams contesting premier and champions league year in year our but for the rest the FA cup is a chance for fans to dream for a few weeks of their club winning some silverware

It's not dead for fans of teams who haven't ever a chance of winning anything else

It may seem mickey mouse for fans of teams contesting premier and champions league year in year our but for the rest the FA cup is a chance for fans to dream for a few weeks of their club winning some silverware
    Not sure I agree here. The teams that possibly could/should look to win the FA Cup typically can't wait to get out of it, ie teams in the EPL between 5th and 15th. The exception this year seems to be Wolves and Watford, who are giving it a proper go, but then again they are counterbalanced by the likes of Leicester who played a shadow team and got dumped by Newport.

Re OGS/Poch/United, I will say that come the start of the 2020/21 season, I'd still expect to see Pochetino at United. Good chance OGS will peter out at United, and Pochetino will have got Spurs into the new stadium and had a season there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Chelsea
    FitzShane wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if that massive lucky streak that OGS went on at the start of his tenure will be maintained or the recent games be a more fairer judge. There were some games that United got played off the park but somehow came away with results - Spurs, Leicester, Burnley, Palace, PSG etc.

He is also setting up as a counter attack manager, so once teams cop that and remember that they are playing a OGS-United and not a Jose-United, they will start to sit back and that is a whole new challenge for him.

Ole has done a good job managing the dressing room so far. The quality of the United team has never been in doubt and that's evident by the run they went on. As long as he can continue to keep the likes of Pogba in line I see no reason why United won't push on.... unfortunately. :)

Man Utd
    Ole has done a good job managing the dressing room so far. The quality of the United team has never been in doubt and that's evident by the run they went on. As long as he can continue to keep the likes of Pogba in line I see no reason why United won't push on.... unfortunately. :)

This is true but the test is how the players react now
    He was seen as the cool substitute teacher that took over from the Dictator Jose that made if fun again for the players

Do the players think he is the man to move United to the next level is the real question ,
    There is a huge shift in expectation and pressure on Ole now,
    It will be very interesting to see what happens,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement