Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone TV vs Eir TV

Options
  • 16-08-2016 11:58pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Evening folks. I thought I'd post a brief thread for anyone considering Vodafone or Eir TV.

A bit of background, about 6 months ago Virgin gave notice that they were switching off my MMDS service. At the time the only option was Sky or Eir. As I planned on having it in three rooms, the extra box costs for Sky didn't make sense, so decided to give Eir a try.

So, I won't detail costs and packages, as these change all the time. Instead I can report that picture quality with Eir is very good, channel changes are quick enough and it comes with homeplugs for the extra boxes.

That's about all the good, as the bad overrides everything. Picture freezing happens a lot during the day, which you have to flick up and down to clear. The boxes regularly reset themselves and sometimes get locked in a cycle of resetting. I have already had some boxes replaced with it still happening. Lastly they frequently come up with errors that they cannot connect to the internet, despite the connection being okay.

So thankfully Eir recently made a change to their monthly charges, which meant I could break free just as my 6 month intro period was ending. Still staying away from Sky, I decided to give Vodafone a go. Picture quality is excellent, with some freebie HD channels thrown in for no extra costs. Channel changes are even quicker, with general menu functions being very easy to navigate. The main box has to be hard wired to the router, with the official install method using WiFi for multiroom if you don't have network cables back to the router. I however used my homeplugs from the previous setup without issue.

Now the really good part, in that it works, and works well. No issues so far after a week, but I was a day into Eir when I had issues with it, so the standard was low. Vodafone also comes with an extra media box type which means you can record and watch recordings on any of the multiroom boxes. With Eir you could only do this on the main box. You also have the restart option which is handy.

Lastly I thought the Netflix option would be a bit gimicky, but it actually works very well. My two multiroom tvs are old 20" 4:3 flatscreens with only scart connections. Press the Netflix button, then sign into your own account once only. From that point on you have a menu which is similar to the Netflix app on a tablet/phone, and are signed in on all the boxes.

So in summary, Eir TV bad, Vodafone TV good. Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll update if any issues start popping up with Vodafone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Very helpful thanks, it's surprising difficult to find out this kind of information without actually subscribing to one of their services and experience it for yourself. Vodafone seems a winner, if you cant get SKY or cable TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1 handy2016

Hi Delly,

What channels do you get startover on vodafone? Is it limited program wise? i.e. some programs are there other's aren't as you go back through the guide.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

handy2016 wrote: »
    Hi Delly,

What channels do you get startover on vodafone? Is it limited program wise? i.e. some programs are there other's aren't as you go back through the guide.

That's it exactly, not all programmes are covered. It's not a feature I've really needed to use, so hard to say what is covered. It does look like there are more restart programs than catchup though.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭emilymch1

Is the cabling very intrusive???? I considered getting the vodafone on trial but when they mentioned having to put cabling from modem to tv I reconsidered, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Just going to add my knowledge on eir tv.

We have always been eir phone and broadband customers and when it came to re contract last February I was pushing for a good deal. As well as getting the usual monthly discounts and credits I was given eir tv free for 12 months out of the 18 months contract.

I had no interest in getting pay tv as I am quiet happy with my saorview, freesat and multi sat set up around the house but given that it was a new tv platform I said why not. Anyway given that I am getting the tv platform for free I got a 1/2 price offer on sky sports and movies for 12 months which is a nice bonus.

Re the technical difficulties the OP has experienced I haven't had them my service has been glitch free since I got it installed. Also I have no affiliation to Eir. my eir box is connected to home plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

delly wrote: »
    The main box has to be hard wired to the router, with the official install method using WiFi for multiroom if you don't have network cables back to the router. I however used my homeplugs from the previous setup without issue.

Thanks for the post..v useful. To be clear, are you saying that hardwiring the router to the main box is actually not necessary and that homeplugs can be used instead? Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thanks for the post..v useful. To be clear, are you saying that hardwiring the router to the main box is actually not necessary and that homeplugs can be used instead? Thanks.

No, they say that the main unit should be hardwired, it was the multi room units I used on home plugs. I would think however that the main unit would probably work okay with multi roomplugs, but I've no evidence to support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Valfc5

Wow how is Eir in 2019? I'm paying a lot for Sky TV, broadband and phone and thinking of switching to Eir or Virgin. we are with Sky about 6 years so well out of contract. I'd be grateful for any input about eir or virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

delly wrote: »
    Evening folks. I thought I'd post a brief thread for anyone considering Vodafone or Eir TV.

A bit of background, about 6 months ago Virgin gave notice that they were switching off my MMDS service. At the time the only option was Sky or Eir. As I planned on having it in three rooms, the extra box costs for Sky didn't make sense, so decided to give Eir a try.

So, I won't detail costs and packages, as these change all the time. Instead I can report that picture quality with Eir is very good, channel changes are quick enough and it comes with homeplugs for the extra boxes.

That's about all the good, as the bad overrides everything. Picture freezing happens a lot during the day, which you have to flick up and down to clear. The boxes regularly reset themselves and sometimes get locked in a cycle of resetting. I have already had some boxes replaced with it still happening. Lastly they frequently come up with errors that they cannot connect to the internet, despite the connection being okay.

So thankfully Eir recently made a change to their monthly charges, which meant I could break free just as my 6 month intro period was ending. Still staying away from Sky, I decided to give Vodafone a go. Picture quality is excellent, with some freebie HD channels thrown in for no extra costs. Channel changes are even quicker, with general menu functions being very easy to navigate. The main box has to be hard wired to the router, with the official install method using WiFi for multiroom if you don't have network cables back to the router. I however used my homeplugs from the previous setup without issue.

Now the really good part, in that it works, and works well. No issues so far after a week, but I was a day into Eir when I had issues with it, so the standard was low. Vodafone also comes with an extra media box type which means you can record and watch recordings on any of the multiroom boxes. With Eir you could only do this on the main box. You also have the restart option which is handy.

Lastly I thought the Netflix option would be a bit gimicky, but it actually works very well. My two multiroom tvs are old 20" 4:3 flatscreens with only scart connections. Press the Netflix button, then sign into your own account once only. From that point on you have a menu which is similar to the Netflix app on a tablet/phone, and are signed in on all the boxes.

So in summary, Eir TV bad, Vodafone TV good. Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll update if any issues start popping up with Vodafone.

Hi, what HD stations do you get? Sky news Hd? Skysports news HD?

How is the interface compared to virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I had Vodafone TV for 18 months and it was perfect,not one glitch, multi room box exactly the same features as main box, channel line up very good, of course nowhere near Sky's, and quite a number of channels in HD. Not having Sky Sports in HD was a drawback though. I would still have Vodafone TV, only for the fact that someone in n their wisdom, decided to spare bandwidth and they changed BBC1, BBC2 and BBC News back to SD from HD, as these are bread and butter channels as far as I'm concerned and watched frequently, I left them and reluctantly went back to Sky. HD is non negotiable for me now, it's the modern day equivalent of going from black and white to colour.

• Advertisement

just to update on post 6

No issues with my eir TV

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

Hi there around 6pm today, my kids were watching a movie on vodafone tv and suddenly it just went, now no internet flashing, wifi was flashing for a bit but now it has stopped flashing. turned everything off and on, reset router etc...still no internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I ended up going back to Virgin media, other claims of great bb didn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

galtee boy wrote: »
    I had Vodafone TV for 18 months and it was perfect,not one glitch, multi room box exactly the same features as main box, channel line up very good, of course nowhere near Sky's, and quite a number of channels in HD. Not having Sky Sports in HD was a drawback though. I would still have Vodafone TV, only for the fact that someone in n their wisdom, decided to spare bandwidth and they changed BBC1, BBC2 and BBC News back to SD from HD, as these are bread and butter channels as far as I'm concerned and watched frequently, I left them and reluctantly went back to Sky. HD is non negotiable for me now, it's the modern day equivalent of going from black and white to colour.

Was thinking of switching from Eir to Vodafone once (presumably) the BT Sport channels drop off, but dropping BBC HD is a showtopper - BBC are churning out so much good dramas now that it's by far my most watched channel.

Even though I also have FTA satellite also on the same tele, but anyway!

mollser wrote: »
    Was thinking of switching from Eir to Vodafone once (presumably) the BT Sport channels drop off, but dropping BBC HD is a showtopper - BBC are churning out so much good dramas now that it's by far my most watched channel.

Just had a look at the Vodafone TV website, the BBC channels are available again in HD, BUT, they are now part of HD extra pack, meaning more cost on your subscription , they were originally part of the free HD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Is Food Network HD on Vodafone TV? Their website says it is https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/tv/tv-channels.html

The HD version isn't carried on any other platform here or in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Just had a look at the Vodafone TV website, the BBC channels are available again in HD, BUT, they are now part of HD extra pack, meaning more cost on your subscription , they were originally part of the free HD channels.
    Hi I have the HD pack and there is no extra cost for the HD pack

On my Vodafone TV it does look HD, although it doesn't have any HD tags onscreen, or in the TV guide.

castle2012 wrote: »

There is a HD bonus or extra pack, which costs €5 per month more and that's where the BBC HD channels are. HD comes as standard for the other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

castle2012 wrote: »
    I

There is a HD bonus or extra pack, which costs €5 per month more and that's where the BBC HD channels are. HD comes as standard for the other channels.
    I just have the basic pack and the HD with the BBC comes with it at no extra charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm torn between these two. I've absolutely had enough of Virgin and their annual fight for a reasonable price game. I'm getting 45-89mb on Virgin at the moment (and paying for 240) so I'm not too worried about the drop in broadband.

Vodafone TV seems to get better feedback, is that right? I prefer the look of Eir's package but the black Friday rate on Vodafone is very hard to ignore!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I had E Vision a good few years ago and have Vodafone now. I came from VM. These are IPTV setups so I'd only consider changing if you're guaranteed very good speeds like on Siro.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I can't comment on Eir's service today, as it was 3 years ago that I switched and have always renewed with Vodafone. As a sidenote, the Vodafone loyalty renewal is pure class. Last year I got x6 months free (€85 x6 credit) and sky movies for x6 months for €1 per month. This year I only managed to get x3 months free, but still got the movies for x6 months for a €1 per month.

Quick question can the Vodafone tv work off powerlines are does it have to be hardwired back to the modem. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

kooga wrote: »
    Quick question can the Vodafone tv work off powerlines are does it have to be hardwired back to the modem. Thank you

Powerline is just the same as a direct wire provided it uses an RJ45 cable to link both devices and not RG6 or coaxial

• Registered Users Posts: 28,498 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

LenWoods wrote: »
    Powerline is just the same as a direct wire provided it uses an RJ45 cable to link both devices and not RG6 or coaxial

Does this mean that you don't need a physical cable from the phone line to the TV box? Ours are on opposite corners of the room, so I can't run a cable from one to the other without it going around the door frames - really ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Does this mean that you don't need a physical cable from the phone line to the TV box? Ours are on opposite corners of the room, so I can't run a cable from one to the other without it going around the door frames - really ugly.

if the connection between the viewing box and router Is an RJ45 cable then yes; a powerline kit would mean you don't need to run a cable between the two devices,

however a cheaper and in some ways more reliable option which you may consider; would be to purchase a "flat cat7 cable"
    which by name is a flat version of network cable, if you were able to temporarily pop off the skirting and architrave using a claw hammer then fit the flat cat7 behind these panels it would save you over 50 euro not having to purchase powerline adaptors,
    I recommend amazon for flat cat7 pre-terminated cables,
    personally I've used these in a lot of locations around my home for over two years now.

ultimately then though your original question still remains as to whether it is an RJ45 connection used between a Vodafone router and tv box ?

anyway panic over got a good retention offer with Eir and i don't have to upgrade my Evision box to apple TV - so happy to stay.
    Thanks

Advertisement