Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amstrad Mega PC discussion

Options
  • 18-03-2019 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

djsim wrote: »
    yes, now that looks very interesting. 2 - 1:) I want one of these now..

i have one on ebay :)

item number 254167679384

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I remember seeing one in a computer shop in Swords when it was released, was both interested in how it worked and 'why would someone want that when you can have a standalone system?" thought. A nice novelty now though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I always lusted after one of those!

At the time, PCs were still rare beasts that certainly didn't live in every household.

That the PC side of things was obsolete almost immediately reflects what was going on in the greater PC scene tbh, though at least with a proper computer you could upgrade it, but I see that it was even obsolete compared to it's peers, so not so good!

I'd love one anyway!

edit:

It was a thing at the time, and a re-current theme at that,
    "Here's a computer for business and it can also play the latest games"
    Saw that with the Amiga, ST, even the early Commodores and the lowly Spectrum ran such advertisements to help kids leverage their parents into buying one.

I remember the Commodore CDTV in the computer department of Clery's a loooong time ago, gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I remember this ad in every PC mag
    DL4ML4_W4AAWErW.jpg
    The problem was that the 386 version was £599 and at the time the 486 100Mhz was out and you could build a 486DX4 100Htz for about half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jshaw0434 wrote: »
    i have one on ebay :)

item number 254167679384
    A non-working model for £180?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That ad suggests it's Mega CD compatible!
    I wonder what that combo would have looked like!

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

the_syco wrote: »
    A non-working model for £180?

To be fair, it's only £180 due to people bidding it up to that, opening price was £50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Bit sketchy that the owner claims to not even have bothered to replace a mere CR2032 battery to see if it solved the issue, and increase the value of the item before selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »
    Bit sketchy that the owner claims to not even have bothered to replace a mere CR2032 battery to see if it solved the issue, and increase the value of the item before selling.

Untested ALWAYS means broken.

Inviere wrote: »
    Untested ALWAYS means broken.

Both my PSX and Atari XE suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Does the PSX not have/had laser issues?

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Does the PSX not have/had laser issues?

Very slight when streaming audio from a PS1 game, but no where near as broken/untested as the advert suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Doubt many of us would have dug up a 12 old zombie thread to tout our wares but there we go.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Doubt many of us would have dug up a 12 old zombie thread to tout our wares but there we go.

Good point, new thread made

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

o1s1n wrote: »
    To be fair, it's only £180 due to people bidding it up to that, opening price was £50.

Or was it shilled;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    as does my Peruvian MegaDrive

Advertisement