Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Acosta wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how they price it. A Bt Sport/Premier Sport pack alone would get you a lot of football.

Probably only a tenner more for the three though

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

For feck sake, just seen that news with Sky and Premier Sport. This is going to make it even more confusing. The only reason I joined Eir was to watch Serie A, who knows what's happening now. I've never had or wanted Sky TV, I'd hate to have to switch to them just to get access to Serie A.

This still gives hope I suppose, but all signs are that Eir are dead in the water.

"It is understood Sky is interested in talking to other platforms about the wholesale distribution of both Premier Sports and BT Sport to their services. This means Premier and BT channels may become available to Eir and Virgin customers if Eir and Virgin can agree a deal with Sky."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Does Premier Sport have a similar deal with Sky Uk?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No, I thought they’d be glad to take the opportunity to offload that aspect of their operation to SSSL but not for the moment. BT have done such a deal however and it seems to have an extraordinarily long lead in period, it was announced back in 2017 and still hasn’t started.

The bottom line is that come next August three subs will be needed to watch one competition (the English PL). This is going to annoy the hell out of alot of people. Throw in the HD option, and the cost easily breaks the €100 per month barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The bottom line is that come next August three subs will be needed to watch one competition (the English PL). This is going to annoy the hell out of alot of people. Throw in the HD option, and the cost easily breaks the €100 per month barrier.

My guess is it'll be 2 subs. Sky sports and then an extra pack which will get you bt and Premier sports. Can't imagine they'd just wholesale them separately...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

What does SSSL stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

swoofer wrote: »
    What does SSSL stand for?

Sky Subscribers Services Limited, a subsidiary of Sky plc

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/about-sky/regulatory

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm on the phone to Eir at the minute as my broadband is due for renewal.

I've been tied to them (although I don't tell them that) because they include free BT Sport and I need that for UFC coverage.

If they're definitely losing BT in August then I won't feel the need to sign up again now, Vodafone seem to have a better offer anyway.

Any word yet on the cost of BT sport via Sky?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm on the phone to Eir at the minute as my broadband is due for renewal.

I've been tied to them (although I don't tell them that) because they include free BT Sport and I need that for UFC coverage.

If they're definitely losing BT in August then I won't feel the need to sign up again now, Vodafone seem to have a better offer anyway.

Any word yet on the cost of BT sport via Sky?

They might be able to keep BT but they will probably have to charge their E Vision customers extra for it.

Theres no word of pricing yet, Sky will probably do a bundle deal.

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t expect word before June tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Does anyone know about those wavy lines which have been in the lower left corner of the Eir Sports channels and have now appeared on the BT Sport channels (on evision boxes) is it some sort of piracy tracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was thinking it was to show that the content is streamed.

Now tv has a small white rectangle at the bottom right of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I was thinking it was to show that the content is streamed.

Now tv has a small white rectangle at the bottom right of the screen.

Would make sense - Sky has a pint glass on its soccer coverage to show that it's a feed directly to pubs, as visible when RTE broadcasts the goals on sports bulletins.

No Roma v Napoli on this weekend (Sunday 2pm KO)!

Instead they are showing a Connacht v Benetton PRO14 REPLAY on ES1, and Ajax v PSV on ES2. Pathetic coverage (and no I dont have FreeSports, I know the game is on that but I only have Eir TV). Eir are a ****ing shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've switched to Pure Telecom so will be losing my free BT Sport.

Time to investigate how to get it directly without the Eir Sports pack.

Eir Sports now saying they don't have the rights to Serie A in Ireland:

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1111636034385833984

It’s not incorrect, technically speaking. It’s Premier Sports who have the rights. Think of eir Sport 2 as being like an “affiliate” of Premier Sports 1, in a network-affiliate sense of the term.

Anyway, that will all be over in the summer when they split completely.

Eir Sport not showing Man City and Brighton this Saturday.

Why did they bother paying for rights to matches they cant broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The rights should be taken off of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

mikeym wrote: »
    Eir Sport not showing Man City and Brighton this Saturday.

Why did they bother paying for rights to matches they cant broadcast?

game is on BBC 1

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

When Sky takeover the distribution of Premier Sports in the summer - I presume we'll be getting both Premier Sports channels on the Sky EPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

Other than the odd LOI match, the FA cup is probably the only football they'll have next season. Unless they've lost that too.

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    When Sky takeover the distribution of Premier Sports in the summer - I presume we'll be getting both Premier Sports channels on the Sky EPG?

We don’t know what the arrangements will be yet. If they just offer the UK channels they’ll need to block all the Pro14 coverage, which is a lot.

Acosta wrote: »
    Other than the odd LOI match, the FA cup is probably the only football they'll have next season. Unless they've lost that too.

Runs until 2021,I understand. They way you’ve phrased it is odd, they’ve the rights to 15 League of Ireland games - and they will show 15. They’ve the rights to “up to” 23 FA Cup games - the number is variable because of replays. But they’ve practically abandoned all live coverage of it this season because of the Pro14 deal.

Just to add though, that as pointed out above, most of their rights is to simulcast BBC fixtures, and there must be few people who have eir Sport and not the BBC (though I suppose app-only customers might fall into that category). The 3pms are a different kettle of fish, but that’s only five games at least two of which won’t feature Premier League teams.

icdg wrote: »
    Runs until 2021,I understand. They say you’ve phrased it is odd, they’ve the rights to 15 League of Ireland games - and they will show 15. They’ve the rights to “up to” 23 FA Cup games - the number is variable because of replays. But they’ve practically abandoned all live coverage of it this season because of the Pro14 deal.

To be fair, Pro 14 will get them more viewers than a simulcast of a game on BBC, so that's just sensible business...

Absolutely. More to the point they are supposed to be committed to showing every Pro14 fixture, though they haven’t always honoured that commitment. Be interesting to see what happens next weekend with the Masters taking up a chunk of prime time airtime on eir Sport 1.

Well, with the Masters on, its really fecked up any Serie A fans viewing. Only 1 Serie A game on - Chievo v Napoli. Premier Sports have 6 (including 2 on FreeSports).

Their Masters coverage is dreadful anyway, the ads are so ridiculously annoying (especially with that one same voiceover who does all the ads), everyone switches to the BBC for Sat-Sun (if you don't have Sky).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Dear Subscriber,

It’s been another great season of sport so far. It has been our pleasure to share these moments with you and so much more in full high-definition (HD) going forward.

Please note that from 16 May 2019, eir sport 1 & eir sport 2 will no longer be broadcast in standard definition (SD) on the Sky TV platform, and will only be available in HD. If the removal of the SD versions of the eir sport channels from the Sky TV platform causes you difficulties in accessing the eir sport service or if you have other queries, please contact our customer service team on 0818 203040 from 10am to 6pm Monday to Saturday.

The BT Sport SD channels will remain available on Sky TV, along with Boxnation SD. If you wish to upgrade your SD Sky TV box to HD you can do so by contacting Sky directly or find out more by visiting: www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sky-q/upgrade

We hope you will join us as we look ahead to another year of top quality LIVE action on the eir sport pack..

Yours faithfully
    eir sport

• Advertisement

Can't imagine many people are still using SD only sky boxes..

Advertisement