Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Odelay wrote: »
    I only ever had the flu once, anything else is just a cold. By Christ it knocked me. Like your daughter I slept for several days straight, couldn’t tell which way was up.
    Thank god for mammy, don’t know what I’d do if I got it now as I live alone and far away from anyone.

Only had the flu once myself, since then its been flu jab every year, one man show can't sleep for several days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I understood the flu jab gave them immunity by exposing them to it?

She is asthmatic and is (supposed) to get injection on doctor's advice, but she thought she knew better this past flu season. May be adult but can still need mammy occasionally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Youngest sent me this pic earlier this evening - remember farming is not confined to the land.
    He is working on the RV Celtic Explorer https://www.marine.ie/Home/site-area/infrastructure-facilities/research-vessels/track-vessel?language=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just in the door from Cardiff.
    Poor result, but a hell of a city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

God I hate 1st calvers. One here that I have been watching on camera all night. Pin bones down, tail up since 9:30 last night. Still no progress and I am wrecked watching her. 2 mature cows that looked further away at the same time calved in the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just in the door from Cardiff.
    Poor result, but a hell of a city!

Same here. Won't be much work done here today. Just talking on the way home I thought we were renowned for jacking up prices for big events but by gob I think the Welsh are better than we are. 6 pound pints 25 pound steaks we stayed in bridgend so didn't get caught with the 500 a night accommodation but all in all a great weekend and the Welsh fans are a credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Grueller wrote: »
    God I hate 1st calvers. One here that I have been watching on camera all night. Pin bones down, tail up since 9:30 last night. Still no progress and I am wrecked watching her. 2 mature cows that looked further away at the same time calved in the night.

Handle her... lost a calf a couple of days ago a heifer calving left her too long on her own..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Very grim news this morning 3 teenagers dead in a crush at a disco in the North. 2 dead in a car accident in Carlingford and a woman missing in Carlingford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Very grim news this morning 3 teenagers dead in a crush at a disco in the North. 2 dead in a car accident in Carlingford and a woman missing in Carlingford

And one killed yesterday on the m6

Reggie. wrote: »
    And one killed yesterday on the m6

Four accidents on the M6 in 15 miles around the same time due to that hail shower, like wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Yeah it was a grim weekend, i'd have gone to that hotel manys a night for a night out. A girl that i went to school with and ended up working with a couple of years back has gone missing locally. Coastguard are looking for her.

I had a ewe lay on her pedigree lamb last night and was feeling sh*t about it until i came in the door this morning and heard all that on the news, fairly sobering stuff and puts things into perspective.

wrangler wrote: »
    Four accidents on the M6 in 15 miles around the same time due to that hail shower, like wtf

People that over estimate their ability to drive and not expecting the unexpected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Reggie. wrote:
    People that over estimate their ability to drive and not expecting the unexpected

But what can you do on a motorway when visibility drops you can slow down but it's not always possible to get off it
    Then some idiot passes you by like your stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

grassroot1 wrote: »
    But what can you do on a motorway when visibility drops you can slow down but it's not always possible to get off it

Slow down switch on hazzards and lights. Even if if you get hit usually you will get shunted. Have the car in as near the edge of the Hard shoulder as possible. If anything happens pull car into hard shoulder and get well away up the bank.

All you can do about idiots is avoid them by being as far away as possible. As you say you cannot factor in for idiots. But by being a little wise you may be able to avoid real danger.

Slava Ukrainii

grassroot1 wrote: »

Yes you can slow down but majority of people don't. I see some crazy manoeuvres in the M4 travelling to Dublin in the wee hours. Only takes 1 person to lose control to have few cars banged up

Same here. Won't be much work done here today. Just talking on the way home I thought we were renowned for jacking up prices for big events but by gob I think the Welsh are better than we are. 6 pound pints 25 pound steaks we stayed in bridgend so didn't get caught with the 500 a night accommodation but all in all a great weekend and the Welsh fans are a credit.

We stayed in Port Talbot, was very reasonable. Invited to a local rugby club on Friday night for beer and singing.
    Those lads can carry a tune, and Brains Dark beer goes down easy...
    Welsh were friendly without exception, great people.
    Security at Fishguard considerably tighter going home, whether it was due to Christchurch or not is hard to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

Research a few years back on the M6 motorway in the UK revealed that if you pull into the hard shoulder and stay in the car your life expectancy is 20 minutes.

kk.man wrote: »
    Research a few years back on the M6 motorway in the UK revealed that if you pull into the hard shoulder and stay in the car your life expectancy is 20 minutes.

That's why you get behind the barrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

That's why you get behind the barrier

If the hailstones were that bad, i dont think too many would get out unfortunately

If the hailstones were that bad, i dont think too many would get out unfortunately

Im on about if ya breakdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

just so were clear guys it is illegal to drive or park in the hard shoulder of a motorway, Unless in an emergency or instructed to do so by the emergency services, Gardai etc. and no, needing a piss does not constitute an emergency. correct practice is to don your hi vis exit through the passenger side deploy your Waring triangle and over the barrier and up the bank until assistance arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I was on a motorway on Saturday and a woman had parked on the hard shoulder to take her dog to the toilet,I kid you not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see on the Twitter machine an unofficial claim the world Spring barley record has been broken in Kenya.

Great land out there apparently.
    Bit far for a bale trailer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭roosterman71

woman missing in Carlingford

RTE saying this woman has been found dead in the water up there. Sad news

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Hail is lethal especially on a motorway with cars moving on that bit faster. Man killed in a single car accident here a couple of years ago on the motorway having lost control during a hail shower. Always gives me the shivers when heavy hail hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Slow down switch on hazzards and lights. Even if if you get hit usually you will get shunted. Have the car in as near the edge of the Hard shoulder as possible. If anything happens pull car into hard shoulder and get well away up the bank.

That's absolutely lethal "advice" and illegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yes you can slow down but majority of people don't. I see some crazy manoeuvres in the M4 travelling to Dublin in the wee hours. Only takes 1 person to lose control to have few cars banged up

Irish people don't know how to drive on motorways - especially concerning overtaking lanes and sitting in them for no good reason forcing others to overtake on inside lane. Try that crack somewhere like Italy and you wouldn't last long!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭I says

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Irish people don't know how to drive

Fixed that for ya

I says wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya

Most don't know what indicators are for and as for driving on roundabouts....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

As a matter of interest, the channel down the middle of old cow sheds, what would it be called?

As a matter of interest, the channel down the middle of old cow sheds, what would it be called?

In a tie-up byre, it would be called "the group" in Cavan/Leitrim.
    In an old solid floor cubicle house, it'd be just called " the channel".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In a tie-up byre, it would be called "the group" in Cavan/Leitrim.
    In an old solid floor cubicle house, it'd be just called " the channel".

Even in our concrete cubicle shed.
    Stand - where the cows stand.
    Group - channel between both stands.

Blink and the sticky threads are gone.
    Blink again and they're back. :)

Those crazy vegans and their Jesus puddings...

RT (@RT_com) Tweeted:
    Human blood sausages turning heads in #Spain! https://t.co/JARX93LfwZ https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1107763610674257923?s=17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Who was it mentioned someone employed getting six weeks off? I never heard of anyone getting that time off other than teachers. At work at 7am, still replying to emails and hiring employees at this hour, and not so much as a mouse fed, myself included.
    The grass is always greener, but not sure if it is anyways easier to grab hold!
    Think we could all do with a day in each others boots. Not saying either is any easier, both can be tough and disappointing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Who was it mentioned someone employed getting six weeks off? I never heard of anyone getting that time off other than teachers. At work at 7am, still replying to emails and hiring employees at this hour, and not so much as a mouse fed, myself included.
    Think we could all do with a day in each others boots. Not saying either is any easier, both can be tough and disappointing..

Same as. Left home this am at 5:20. Home at 7:00. Did an hour in the yard then and off to bed now. Wrecked but it was for an annual training day up country. I am now re-calibrated. Back to normal tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I think 20days is the minimum, but 25 would be common enough. I have heard of people on 30 days, after a good few years service in some places...
    Also, some very old civil service contracts had up to 30days hols I believe...

Agree about a day in everyone’s shoes though.

Just looking at the news about the cyclone in Africa... :(
    It makes our shoes look very very comfortable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Blink and the sticky threads are gone.
    Blink again and they're back. :)

Sorry about this, there's some testing of new software going on atm so there's some peculiar stuff happening on and off. Hopefully it'll be ready for roll out fairly soon.

Sorry about this, there's some testing of new software going on atm so there's some peculiar stuff happening on and off. Hopefully it'll be ready for roll out fairly soon.

So they're finally replacing the moderators with board bots.
    Imagine all the free time you'll have now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

You think it's bad having no shoes, until you meet a man who has no feet.

• Advertisement

I was just watching a tv program about silicon valley on bbc4 and the new tech and information gathering, corporate controlling, automated, capital controlled by a few, decision making elimination, future that awaits us all.
    The disrupted power of silicon valley.

One of the things that hit me is that this new automated world doesn't gel well with livestock farming.
    A human is still needed to herd the animal, spot problems and mind that animal.

In the veg world. Tractors, machinery, fertilizing, spraying, harvesting can be fully automated and controlled by the few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Those crazy vegans and their Jesus puddings...

RT (@RT_com) Tweeted:
    Human blood sausages turning heads in #Spain! https://t.co/JARX93LfwZ https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1107763610674257923?s=17

Them fcukers had no tags best call the dept

I think 20days is the minimum, but 25 would be common enough. I have heard of people on 30 days, after a good few years service in some places...

A physio in a cork hospital told me she had 29 days, and they wouldn't exactly be run off their feet. She got that job less than ten years ago as well, so it was well into the recession, wasting money in the bad times even
    I've never met a physio that could cure anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

When you get to a certain payrate, u are better off with better entitlements (ie more hols, shorter working hours eyc) than more salary as most goes in tax. Work/life balance and all that comes into it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

MeTheMan wrote: »
    You think it's bad having no shoes, until you meet a man who has no feet.

I was out in Nairobi one time and a lad came up asking would I give him my sandals when I was going home. He had flip flops on and took them off to show how badly he needed new shoes. The poor fecker had no sole left on them, he had a bit under his toes and the strap between his toes and bit of sole at the back. They were purely there to look like he had something on his feet only!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bullocks wrote: »
    I was out in Nairobi one time and a lad came up asking would I give him my sandals when I was going home. He had flip flops on and took them off to show how badly he needed new shoes. The poor fecker had no sole left on them, he had a bit under his toes and the strap between his toes and bit of sole at the back. They were purely there to look like he had something on his feet only!

It’s very humbling to witness true poverty on large scale. Really brings home the luck of birth that we take for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've never met a physio that could cure anything

I spend most of last year with a frustrationing hip injury, I'm a competitive enough track runner, it completely knocked me out of that, and made many days on the farm barely bareable (I'd be in bits after 10mins of anything strenuous like herding stock). I went to my gp, got an mri, referred on to a hip consultant, who booked me in for a hip injection, and told me if that doesn't work then come back in 6wks and we'll consider surgery options. By that stage I'd already spent 2grand (I didn't have health care insurance then ugh), and the problem was no better. Long story short I went to a very good local sports physio, who over the space of about 4 weeks helped reduce tightness, and build up the muscles all around the hip area, and now finally after a year I'm back pain free and to where I was a year ago. Like all professions you get good and bad but you got a very shallow outlook there wrangler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Them fcukers had no tags best call the dept

Say nuttin, we'll catch them and tag them ourselves...

Timmaay wrote: »
    I spend most of last year with a frustrationing hip injury, I'm a competitive enough track runner, it completely knocked me out of that, and made many days on the farm barely bareable (I'd be in bits after 10mins of anything strenuous like herding stock). I went to my gp, got an mri, referred on to a hip consultant, who booked me in for a hip injection, and told me if that doesn't work then come back in 6wks and we'll consider surgery options. By that stage I'd already spent 2grand (I didn't have health care insurance then ugh), and the problem was no better. Long story short I went to a very good local sports physio, who over the space of about 4 weeks helped reduce tightness, and build up the muscles all around the hip area, and now finally after a year I'm back pain free and to where I was a year ago. Like all professions you get good and bad but you got a very shallow outlook there wrangler.

Maybe so, I presume your physio was selfemployed, TBF I never went to a physio that had to get results to stay in business.

Bullocks wrote: »
    My cleaner volunteers in a homeless shelter locally. I was throwing out a pair of ohs shoes they were really well worn, she said she'd take them. Lads arrive in with no shoes. She also goes to a woman's refuge and I give her any clothes my kids have grown out of for there. She has told me of kids arriving with their mother in just their nappy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement