Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic rj11 question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

65535 wrote: »
    That wiring is fine, plug it in and check it out to see if it is working.

Any poor joining connections will reduce broadband speed and introduce noise on the line.

All working now. Thanks to everyone for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

It should be fine. You won't introduce much noise to a VDSL or ADSL connection unless you're using long runs of non-twisted pair or your joints are so bad that they're crackling and shorting. DSL is pretty robust.

The main thing is to use actual telephone wiring hardware, I've seen DSL problems where someone had used mains electricity connectors that were introducing issues with impedance at low voltages used for signalling as they were never designed for that purpose. Also things like door bell wires and speaker cable are not ideal.

The reason Eir started doing call outs to install the NTU splitter sockets for 'fibre' (VDSL) connections was because residential DIY jobs are common and you could never be sure what kind of chaos might be in a particular installation. So their NTU goes in at the point where the line enters the building and everything else is connected to a filter and can be easily disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mordeith wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping to do. If I only need one pair am I correct to wire the blue/white and blue wire to red and green as in the picture or how should I do it?

You know it starts with light-blue, blue. Order doesn't matter.

If it was spliced the same under that tape, then yes. Just put the middle two wires as light/blue and blue. But you don't know how he spliced those two cables together. It crimp it and see or check the middle cable splice.

Advertisement