Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rats

• 18-03-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I have noticed an unusual number of dead or dying rats around the yard over the past few weeks, even though I don’t have poison laid anywhere. Nearest neighbouring yard where there might be poison laid is well over half a kilometre away.
    Have seen five in total clearly dying and moving very slowly away. Banged them with back of the shovel to finish them off. This morning came across my fourth example of already dead one in the feeding passage!

Any ideas what might be the cause?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I have noticed an unusual number of dead or dying rats around the yard over the past few weeks, even though I don’t have poison laid anywhere. Nearest neighbouring yard where there might be poison laid is well over half a kilometre away.
    Have seen five in total clearly dying and moving very slowly away. Banged them with back of the shovel to finish them off. This morning came across my fourth example of already dead one in the feeding passage!

Any ideas what might be the cause?
    Are you living in the southeast?

I saw a big mangy rat this morning barely able to move in the yard.

It'd remind you of the mixo in rabbits.

This lad this morning was trying to eat some dropped bird seed from a feeder. I reckon if it's a virus, it's spread from birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Long may it continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

Are you living in the southeast?

I saw a big mangy rat this morning barely able to move in the yard.

It'd remind you of the mixo in rabbits.

This lad this morning was trying to eat some dropped bird seed from a feeder. I reckon if it's a virus, it's spread from birds.

It's funny you should mention this, I set poison November to March around the yard. There has been no up take on the poison the last 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Same around me, there’s been a couple of big ones dead the last few days and no poison laid in a long time.

Was it Base Price that posted before that there was some new disease spreading through the rabbit population?

I wonder was it Tularemia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

There's always a rat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Could be all the heavy rain recently has forced them out of drains and sewars causing them to die of exposure/hunger(not much natural food about this time of year)

Was it Base Price that posted before that there was some new disease spreading through the rabbit population?

I wonder was it Tularemia?

RHD

Birdnuts wrote: »
    RHD

I couldn't see a steering wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Could be all the heavy rain recently has forced them out of drains and sewars causing them to die of exposure/hunger(not much natural food about this time of year)

I doubt it, one was not too far from the meal bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kids found a dead mouse outside out gate today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Saw two or three dead like that over the winter too. Very little uptake on poison and only two rats caught in cage after a great run last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If a virus is killing rats - that's some serious virus. Rats have exceptional immune systems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Cute little things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Odelay wrote: »
    Cute little things.

Some dope actually imported these things and they escaped.

Should be far stricter laws on what you can and can't bring into the country unless you're Dublin Zoo or Fota, not any old open farm or petting zoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's crows around here at the moment, 4 dead on my parents lawn this last few days and dog here playing with a half dead one today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

whelan2 wrote: »
    It's crows around here at the moment, 4 dead on my parents lawn this last few days and dog here playing with a half dead one today..

Be careful with that Whelan.
    A number of years ago up fairly close to you there was a lad poisoning crows, heaps of them at a time.

Be careful with that Whelan.
    A number of years ago up fairly close to you there was a lad poisoning crows, heaps of them at a time.

I remember a case in the news a few years ago about someone being prosecuted for that in some part of Meath - it was certainly more common years ago before it was thankfully outlawed in 2010.

We had something similar this time last year too. Oh went out and rang the neck of the half dead one and threw it in the skip. They dog took it from the skip... The crows congregate in big trees opposite my parents house

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    We had something similar this time last year too. Oh went out and rang the neck of the half dead one and threw it in the skip. They dog took it from the skip... The crows congregate in big trees opposite my parents house

Could be a disease called Trichimosis - pigeons and finches get it too and its usually at its worse around this time of year. If your concerned you could let your local NPWS ranger know and they could test the carcass.

Could be a disease called Trichimosis - pigeons and finches get it too and its usually at its worse around this time of year. If your concerned you could let your local NPWS ranger know and they could test the carcass.

Ye will keep an eye out. Thought it was the cold weather last year caused it.

Advertisement