Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Flap, Sliding Door?

• 18-03-2019 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Has anybody any experience with putting a dog flap in a sliding glass door?

I've 2 dogs, and im out of bed at 6am to let them out to toilet in the morning, which is fine midweek but sleeping in a little some days at weekends would be lovely!

I'm thinking maybe installing a dog flap would be an option that would give a little more freedom to them and me. I've a glass sliding door in the kitchen and wondering can one be installed there.

Anybody with experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Has anybody any experience with putting a dog flap in a sliding glass door?

I've 2 dogs, and im out of bed at 6am to let them out to toilet in the morning, which is fine midweek but sleeping in a little some days at weekends would be lovely!

I'm thinking maybe installing a dog flap would be an option that would give a little more freedom to them and me. I've a glass sliding door in the kitchen and wondering can one be installed there.

Anybody with experience?

If it’s double glazing then it’s highly doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

It is.

I've seen this website for a Dublin company

https://www.cornelscourtglass.ie/pet-door-flaps.php

Who have told me that they install them in double glazed glass doors, but not in sliding doors, as they said they're too thick and get caught.

I'm in Limerick if anybody knows anywhere around here with a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Maybe it depends on the dogs, but 6 am sounds awful early. is it really necessary?

Perhaps it's a question of what time they go last thing the night before? We let our dog out to the garden about 11pm or midnight and then that's it till 9 am or even later I'd say.

It did take a bit of work to get her into the habit of coming straight back in and not running off barking madly at the dark but a few days - ok maybe weeks - of taking her out on the leash, telling her to pee, bringing her straight back in and then giving her a really special treat (piece of ham or cheese or other human food that she never normally gets) did the trick.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Problem is midweek I tend to be in bed 10ish, up at 6 to let them out to the back yard to toilet. Then I head to the gym, come home have a shower, breakfast, feed them and head to work. My wife is in house most days, they're not alone.
    Routine is fine midweek, just a bit harder at weekends.

They're walked 1-2 times a day, out several times during evening for toilet breaks too.

A few weekend mornings I've been an hour or 2 later, and it's been too long for them. To be fair, it's not their fault. I'm thinking dog flap would allow them out when they had the need, without going in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

We have one in our back sliding door, we got a local glazing firm to do it. It's a rented house so we got them to pop the existing double glazing sheet out and stored it in the shed, and bought a new pain with the opening in it and fitted a dog door. We have a 30kg GSD.

The only issue with our door would be security, I could get through it no bother, however you can get doors with locks and electronic tags on the dogs collar.

• Advertisement

We own the house so I don't mind that element of things.

Thanks for the reply. Did you buy a flap online or locally and just give it to the glazing firm? I have seen the chip activation doors but definitely seem too clunky for sliding door, looks like it would jam the door.

I bought it online from petsafe (sorry if I am not allowed to mention the firm please amend). It was really handy to install.

If I could buy again I would get the extreme weather one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

A friend of mine got something like this installed recently. It had to be shipped from the states, wasn't cheap, and had to be modified to fit his door when it arrived.

https://www.petdoors.com/pet-doors/sliding-glass-dog-door.html

I'll see if I can find out exactly which one and how much the total was.

^^^ They are really cool. It depends on the size of your dog and more importantly the opening size of your door. Our mutt would require a insert like that so big that we wouldnt be able to fit out the remaining space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Sorry this is the correct one,

* PetSafe Sliding Glass Pet Door, Medium: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetSafe-Sliding-Glass-Door-Small-x/dp/B00WFKJWPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1552986481&sr=8-1&keywords=PetSafe%2BPatio%2BDoor&th=1

• Advertisement

I just checked my gmail account and found the invoice from the glazer, all in (including the door I bought separately) getting a dog door in our double glazed sliding door was 400-500 EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Hi Jude, would you be able to provide a link to the specific dog door you bought? Currently trying to find one that is thin enough to go between the two sliding parts of the door.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Pizzle wrote: »
    Hi Jude, would you be able to provide a link to the specific dog door you bought? Currently trying to find one that is thin enough to go between the two sliding parts of the door.

Thanks!
    Are you stuck on having the sliding door? You could maybe consider what my parents had - a glass door on one side and a wall of glass on yhe other sode with a wooden base. Into this wooden base you could put a lockable dogflap and still have the glass for the light/ambirnt athmosphere. Might be easier and as expensive to modify the existing frame with new double glazing and lockable door and glass other side panel than to organise a french door dogflap!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Are you stuck on having the sliding door? You could maybe consider what my parents had - a glass door on one side and a wall of glass on yhe other sode with a wooden base. Into this wooden base you could put a lockable dogflap and still have the glass for the light/ambirnt athmosphere. Might be easier and as expensive to modify the existing frame with new double glazing and lockable door and glass other side panel than to organise a french door dogflap!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll add that to the list of options!

Advertisement