Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fertilizer for new grass

Options
  • 02-03-2019 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Just wondering,,I reseeded some land in the autumn and have it divided,what fertilizer would I be best to spread after moving the cattle off it? I used to give this field 2 bags of 18 6 12 in the spring and then a bag of nitrogen to the acre after topping and moving the cattle,would this still be the best method to follow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I think your bang on I am I. The same boat. I have a field I just reseeded and it’s index two so I am going to go with three bags of 10.10.20 to the acre to feed it and keep it moving forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Lime lads, especially after a reseed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

OP - make sure you have a soil test done. Costs less than a bag of fertiliser, and it will tell you exactly what you need...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I limer when I reseeded it. Got it tested two years ago. Index 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Lime lads, especially after a reseed.

Got lime before reseed,I see the use of lime is gone up a lot,if spreading lime was so popular in the 80s why did it decline?

• Advertisement

OP - make sure you have a soil test done. Costs less than a bag of fertiliser, and it will tell you exactly what you need...

Must do that

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

morphy87 wrote:
    Just wondering,,I reseeded some land in the autumn and have it divided,what fertilizer would I be best to spread after moving the cattle off it? I used to give this field 2 bags of 18 6 12 in the spring and then a bag of nitrogen to the acre after topping and moving the cattle,would this still be the best method to follow?

I think 18 6 12 is a good mix again will depend on your soil test, should get it done btw, I would tend to avoid nitrogen at this stage

I think 18 6 12 is a good mix again will depend on your soil test, should get it done btw, I would tend to avoid nitrogen at this stage
    Avoid nitrogen altogether this year?if I grazed it and then went for a cut of silage what would be the best fertilizer to use? 18 6 12 or cut award?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

morphy87 wrote:
    Avoid nitrogen altogether this year?if I grazed it and then went for a cut of silage what would be the best fertilizer to use? 18 6 12 or cut award?

Yes definitely some type that will be adding P&K back into the soil, again soil test will determine this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Go with 18’s as normal and replace Can with 18’s

At reseeding time spread 2 tonne per acre lime and 4 bags of 10/10/20.

Soil test can wait till next spring if you please as regardless of what it says you’ll be going with above.

We’re reseeding new ground this spring and I’m not bothering about soil test as I’m going with lime and 10’s regardless

• Advertisement

Yes definitely some type that will be adding P&K back into the soil, again soil test will determine this

Probably 18 6 12 then over cut sward for new ground then

Go with 18’s as normal and replace Can with 18’s

At reseeding time spread 2 tonne per acre lime and 4 bags of 10/10/20.

Soil test can wait till next spring if you please as regardless of what it says you’ll be going with above.

We’re reseeding new ground this spring and I’m not bothering about soil test as I’m going with lime and 10’s regardless

I normally spread around 27 units of nitrogen per acre after grazing,,so if I went with 18 6 12 and went with a bag and a half to the acre so it still would be getting the 27 units would I notice much of a improvement? Compared to the 27 units of straight nitrogen?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

morphy87 wrote: »
    I normally spread around 27 units of nitrogen per acre after grazing,,so if I went with 18 6 12 and went with a bag and a half to the acre so it still would be getting the 27 units would I notice much of a improvement? Compared to the 27 units of straight nitrogen?

You will over time, every kilo of beef produced brings some P and K away with it, I don't think that there's enough P and K in two bags 18 6 12 to keep up levels for two reasons.
    1 You've reseeded so you'll be producing more and needing more P and K.
    2 New grasses need higher fertility than the older meadow grasses and if it's not maintained new grasses will die out and meadow grasses thrive

wrangler wrote: »
    You will over time, every kilo of beef produced brings some P and K away with it, I don't think that there's enough P and K in two bags 18 6 12 to keep up levels for two reasons.
    1 You've reseeded so you'll be producing more and needing more P and K.
    2 New grasses need higher fertility than the older meadow grasses and if it's not maintained new grasses will die out and meadow grasses thrive

So what would plan would you recommend for fertilizer usage on this ground for the year then? It will be mostly used for grazing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

So what would plan would you recommend for fertilizer usage on this ground for the year then? It will be mostly used for grazing

Same as Keepgrowing recommends, the extra P and K will be needed,
    Two bags 18 6 12 at the start and one and a half midseason
    If your indexes drop to one the good grasses will struggle to survive,

wrangler wrote: »
    Same as Keepgrowing recommends, the extra P and K will be needed,
    Two bags 18 6 12 at the start and one and a half midseason
    If your indexes drop to one the good grasses will struggle to survive,

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I’d defo go with the 10:10:20.
    I could be wrong about this but I got great results with granlime spread at reseeding.The sward really thrived. You could go with the 2 tone of bulk lime in the autumn

Would going with a bag to the acre of 10 10 20 along with 18 6 12 be recommended? I know I should do a soil test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Would going with a bag to the acre of 10 10 20 along with 18 6 12 be recommended? I know I should do a soil test

I presume you'd be going with another bag of 18 6 12?

It be no harm at those rates...??
    But usually it's best to have Potash going out in the autumn as grass tetany could be an issue with luxurious uptake and cold nights.
    Maybe spread them out over two grazing rounds.

I know i’ll
    Come across as a bit of a dick... but... :)
    If you did a soil test when you first opened this thread, you’d prob have the results by now...

But, all is not lost :)
    You could still do one tomorrow and send it off... if you wanted to spread either 10-10-20 or 18-6-12 in the meantime, you won’t do any harm... but at least when you get the soil test you’ll know what to do afterwards...

• Advertisement

I presume you'd be going with another bag of 18 6 12?

It be no harm at those rates...??
    But usually it's best to have Potash going out in the autumn as grass tetany could be an issue with luxurious uptake and cold nights.
    Maybe spread them out over two grazing rounds.
    All dry stock will be grazing this,yeah I was thinking of going also 2 bags to the acre of 18 6 12 along with the 10 10 20

I know i’ll
    Come across as a bit of a dick... but... :)
    If you did a soil test when you first opened this thread, you’d prob have the results by now...

But, all is not lost :)
    You could still do one tomorrow and send it off... if you wanted to spread either 10-10-20 or 18-6-12 in the meantime, you won’t do any harm... but at least when you get the soil test you’ll know what to do afterwards...

If I ask you nicely maybe you might do it for me?

If I ask you nicely maybe you might do it for me?

ha ha, no bother... i’ll be round there in about 20mins... stand out by the gate, so I’ll know which field to stop at :)

Advertisement