Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends Boxing 15/3 (Spence-Garcia, Carroll-Farmer, Taylor-Volante, Conlan in MSG)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Jesus brutal honesty from Paddy there, admitting he lost every round and saying there's probably no point boxing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Jaysus the ring interviewer was terrible, like a used car sales man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Don't think he could understand a word Paddy was saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Everything about this production is poor and tacky lookin, the venue looks like a pool hall, the graphics are crap, the panel in the UK studio aren't helping either!

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote: »
    Everything about this production is poor and tacky lookin, the venue looks like a pool hall, the graphics are crap, the panel in the UK studio aren't helping either!

Its hardly an impressive card tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Barnes very honest in his assessment after the fight. Sad to watch him interviewed in that state of mind. You can see he's broken by how things have panned out.

No idea why the ref didn't recognize that knockdown. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Pretty brutal performance from Barnes that. Probably is time to retire. Fair play to him for the interview after. No bull**** just said it exactly as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Iano813

Honest from Paddy came across almost as likeable

• Advertisement

Iano813 wrote: »

Nas should be on every show. He's hilarious. The channel making $$$ off of Eubank Jr and Naz comes out and says "I think we should kill the golden goose". :pac::pac:

Everything about this production is poor and tacky lookin

*ahem* Mr Andre Ward in studio there, you cheeky pup. A bit of respect please.

BoxNation?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Iano813

Nas should be on every show. He's hilarious. The channel making $$$ off of Eubank Jr and Naz comes out and says "I think we should kill the golden goose". :pac::pac:

Brutal honesty ha

I'm watching on Boxnation tho

I'm watching on Boxnation tho

I'm watching ESPN.

Jaysus this cant be good for either of these guys. Slugfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm watching ESPN.

Jaysus this cant be good for either of these guys. Slugfest.

They'll both be pissing blood for a week!

Here we go. No McGregor tonight.

Another few quid for Donie Cassidy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Finn Balor instead of McGregor...........

• Advertisement

God that ring entrance...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Jesus this guy Mick is fighting is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Mick has tougher sparring sessions in Booth's gym every day.

They'd want to keep Conlan away from anyone who has a bit of pressure and/or can bang. Could definitely see him getting clipped properly as you have said pac_man.

Stevenson too good for Conlan at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Conlan's best performance of his pro career so far imo. Thought he boxed really well. He was definitely boxing to orders from Booth but just wish he'd have stepped it up a bit in the latter rounds and tried get Hernandez out of there. It's all a little one-paced but I suppose that says a lot about how easy he's still having it despite going up in levels. Could do with a stoppage win or two because people are going to lose some interest in his fights if they're all dull affairs like that one. Thankfully Nikitin looks like the absolutely perfect guy to get a stoppage against so that fight should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Well that was some weekend!

First Philly friday with the temperatures in the 70s and something I always wanted to do was go to Joe Frazier's old gym. Indeed on my first visit to this great city in 2008 I should have done it as Joe was alive as was his gym. Anyway it is now a furniture store and the lady behind the counter said that she has fight fans coming in every day! Says I could buy the building for $250,000 too! For anyone interested the gym was on the ground floor (the natives call this the first floor) and now the two floors above it are closed but when Joe was there he lived upstairs:

IMG-5163.jpg

IMG-5166.jpg

Then train down to the venue to get my ticket as this saves on those infernal fees here. Cheapest ticket was $45 and by this stage the first bout was due to start but had been cancelled. Then I walked down to another boxing treasure where Hopkins had fought and also staged scenes in Rocky V:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Horizon

Thankfully like Joe's gym it has historic designation so cannot be demolished. The pics of the ring inside are gorgeous and according to some youtube videos one can try the phone number scrawled on the door and someone will let you in for $20. I demurred!

IMG-5173.jpg

So got to the venue just as Sulecki was getting his fans into a frenzy but I had already seen him get beat by Jacobs so Katie was first fight I saw. Nice tight venue with every seat having a great view. As I was strolling down to my seat I met a Dundalk fan from Philly! His wife is from Dundalk and as a Rovers fan we both chatted for a while about our league. Amazing we can't get enough people at home to go to games and here's a guy from Philly who knew more about our league than most!

Anyway Katie was dominant again and her footwork, strength, combinations were totally demoralizing for her brave opponent for another history setting moment in Irish sport. Volante was no match for her speed and accuracy and won every round. In the fifth she really damaged the Brazilian and the writing was on the wall and the stoppage was inevitable. I'm sure everyone is delighted that Katie is earning serious purses to justify her status and the march to unified is on.

IMG-5186.jpg

IMG-5195.jpg

Next up Jono versus the Champ. Fair amount of Irish in some unfortunately wearing those stupid leprechaun suits but a good atmosphere as the challenger comes out in that leprechaun nonsense and gets the crowd going like the good salesman he is! Overall no doubting the victor but to be fair to Carroll he went the distance and threw a huge amount. Farmer was too slick and accurate though and was never in danger and should have finished it in the penultimate round. Good to see them hanging out together the day after too.

IMG-5202.jpg

IMG-5210.jpg

IMG-5217.jpg

After the fight Demetrius Andrade was interviewed in front of me. This time he had no balaclava like from when I saw him fight in January! Saw him outside with his girl and nobody knew who he was.

IMG-5220.jpg

The highlight of this boxing weekend was next as John Joe Nevin was the float fight and the stewards said everybody could come down to ringside so walked down to see Sugar Ray Leonard get mobbed! Came very near to a selfie but instead got to shake his hand! Up close he looks incredible and he didn't have to engage with the fans so fair play:

IMG-5225.jpg

Interesting perspective viewing this bout from ringside as JJ won this bout against a game Colombian in a 6 rounder and by time I got a selfie with our Olympic medalist it was pushing 1am so only time for a couple of scoops in my favorite bar. But a great day overall and here's hoping there are more of these nights in Philly.

IMG-5229.jpg

IMG-5232.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Onto NY next day for Conlan fight. Straight to the box office where I got a ticket for $31 and enquired about the Joshua fight where the cheapest ticket still available is $270.

Busy weekend as one can imagine and was otherwise occupied to miss Paddy Barnes but got there in plenty of time for the main event. My section was 205 and seat was up the top but noticed rows of seats down towards the front empty so moved down for a better view. Hernandez came out of the left entrance where Conlan came out before but this time I guess it looked better him appearing from the back straight down the middle to the tune of the Wolfe Tones. I wondered what Adam Booth thought of the "Ooh Ah Up The Ra" chant being lustily sung while he was walking down under the tricolour:

IMG-5286.jpg

No doubting how relaxed and confident Conlan looked early on particularly when he was switching stances but overall this fight definitely sobered the crowd! All in all not much to report as it was a very professional performance from Conlan as he outboxed this hardy Mexican who had been on with Donaire.

But one can only wonder how many more of these nights can he have here. The crowd was significantly down on the previous occasions and while he said he wanted the big room next year this is not realistic as he won't be ready for a World title challenge in 12 months.

IMG-5294.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Onto NY next day for Conlan fight. Straight to the box office where I got a ticket for $31 and enquired about the Joshua fight where the cheapest ticket still available is $270.

Busy weekend as one can imagine and was otherwise occupied to miss Paddy Barnes but got there in plenty of time for the main event. My section was 205 and seat was up the top but noticed rows of seats down towards the front empty so moved down for a better view. Hernandez came out of the left entrance where Conlan came out before but this time I guess it looked better him appearing from the back straight down the middle to the tune of the Wolfe Tones. I wondered what Adam Booth thought of the "Ooh Ah Up The Ra" chant being lustily sung while he was walking down under the tricolour:

IMG-5286.jpg

No doubting how relaxed and confident Conlan looked early on particularly when he was switching stances but overall this fight definitely sobered the crowd! All in all not much to report as it was a very professional performance from Conlan as he outboxed this hardy Mexican who had been on with Donaire.

But one can only wonder how many more of these nights can he have here. The crowd was significantly down on the previous occasions and while he said he wanted the big room next year this is not realistic as he won't be ready for a World title challenge in 12 months.

IMG-5294.jpg

Sounds like a bloody fantastic weekend shoveller!!!
    Are you living in the states or you went over for the boxing/paddy’s day?
    Was strongly considering it but the finances wouldn’t allow it this year.

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »

IMG-5286.jpg

IMG-5294.jpg

Conlan's last fight in Belfast was the same, crowd were lively all night but were basically asleep by the end of his fight.

Advertisement