Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anxiety due to not being busy at work

Options
  • 14-03-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in IT in a good job. It pays very well, the work life balance is good and there is no major pressure.
    It was relatively busy for the first few years, but is now its slowed down considerably.
    I am not currently on any major projects and most of the work I do, I have had to find for myself.
    As these projects have not come through management, they have little value on them.

This is the problem, I have done good work, have a good skillset, but its no longer valued or utilized in the company.
    This lack of pressure and work has brought on my anxiety, which I have not had to deal with for many years.

I think the anxiety is brought on by being unutilized and not valued.
    I am also anxious about leaving what is a great job, at least on paper.
    Im worried a new job will mean less family time & potentially less money but if I stay I wont achieve anything more and will stagnate.

My question is:
    - Am I too preoccupied with needing to be busy and valued? Is it ok to get paid a good salary and be relatively slack at work?
    - Should I really worry about stagnating?
    - Is my gut right and using anxiety to tell me somethings wrong and I need to change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think what you are experiencing is fear of stepping outside your comfort zone. You need to ask yourself are you willing to tolerate remaining in a job that you've already said creates anxiety from not being busy and run the risk of your skill set becoming stale as you are not utilizing it frequently through lack of projects and also losing the opportunity to learn new skills, applications, software tools etc that busy or new projects normally bring.

What is the lesser of two evils? Enduring above while maintaining the perks of good work life balance and salary or taking a gamble and finding a new job that stimulates and energizes you, prevents you from being bored, enables the days to fly rather than drag and leaving work each day feeling a sense of accomplishment? The gamble will invariably mean being a newbie...temporarily, having to start making new connections and forming new working relationships with others, being at the bottom of a learning curve that needs to be slowly ascended all over again and possible facing the risk that you may be worse off by making a change?

Your fears and anxieties about making change and stepping outside your comfort zone are normal. I've experienced them as have most others I would think.

To quote Mark Zuckerberg from Facebook "The biggest risk is not taking any risk". I think they are wise words. If you stay put, your dilemma will not change. Is that acceptable for you? I think not otherwise you wouldn't be posting here. If you make change, you will be taking a risk. I'm pretty certain you will not regret it. To quote another saying "You'll regret the risks you don't take more than the ones you take"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No, I have been there.It is a terrible feeling and you are not overeacting.I just decided to get out, it was the only way.There is no point sitting in a dead end job, if you have a chance to go elsewhere, which is what it becomes after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

What is the future of the role?

Can you speak to your manager and ask what kind of work is coming down the line as you are not being kept engaged enough.

Its ok for there to be slack periods in between busy periods IMO but if it becomes you just sitting around making things up to do and no future work lined up ever - then get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

I think it's really important to be stimulated and challenged in your job. Most people spend more waking time in work than anywhere else!

No point in staying there, your skills are going to waste.

Having been in a similar situation myself, I think you should get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies everyone, they have really helped confirm what my gut has known for a while. Its time to move on.

The evening has been spent updating my C.V and will begin applying once I have it proof read.

You've all been super helpful, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I've had a lot of CV's over my desk. I'd be a lot more inclined to interview someone who had moved around a bit rather than someone who'd spent forever in the same job.

Not a job hopper. But not someone whose got 10 years in the same role.

Your prospective employer will know that stagnation comes over time (unless the person has been moving up in the organisation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

I've had a lot of CV's over my desk. I'd be a lot more inclined to interview someone who had moved around a bit rather than someone who'd spent forever in the same job.

Not a job hopper. But not someone whose got 10 years in the same role.

Your prospective employer will know that stagnation comes over time (unless the person has been moving up in the organisation).
    Develop a side hustle or freelance work. Or ask your supervisor to approach different dept heads. May be a worthwhile project in the company nobody thought to assign you. Or do both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds very similar to me also IT. I've moved a good few times in the past and while not easier it's been the right thing to do most of the time. Currently looking at doing the same thing again. I think it's bad for your mental health to be under utilised at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Have you spoken to your manager about this? If they know you are thinking of moving on because of this it's possible they will do whatever they need to have you moved to an active project. It'd be a shame to walk away from a company you enjoy working for in every other way if it's possible this problem can still be fixed.

If you've already explored all options then I agree with everyone else, it's time to move on.

Advertisement