Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two sites - need advice

Options
  • 13-03-2019 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all

We have the option of 2 sites currently on my father in law's land. Our preferred site is next to a bend in the road (small country road). My FIL insists that this bend is waste-ground, and we should be able to get a machine in and take the ditch away and replace it with a wooden fence - we'll be running this one by the county council anyway just in case.

We had an initial pre-planning meeting which went well, and we were told that there would be no objection in principle (I'm fully aware that this doesn't mean planning is a given). A friend of mine has advised that we go and organise our plans & design with an architect, but i feel that i'd rather get an engineer out first and advise which site would be best suited, before going and designing the house and sending in our planning. What is the norm in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi all

We have the option of 2 sites currently on my father in law's land. Our preferred site is next to a bend in the road (small country road). My FIL insists that this bend is waste-ground, and we should be able to get a machine in and take the ditch away and replace it with a wooden fence - we'll be running this one by the county council anyway just in case.

We had an initial pre-planning meeting which went well, and we were told that there would be no objection in principle (I'm fully aware that this doesn't mean planning is a given). A friend of mine has advised that we go and organise our plans & design with an architect, but i feel that i'd rather get an engineer out first and advise which site would be best suited, before going and designing the house and sending in our planning. What is the norm in this situation?

For a brand new build on unknown land, a soil condition survey would be a no brainer. You'll have to get one done anyway so should do it now as it's not going to cost 2 x to do two.

I'd assume your house design might change depending on which site you chose?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SelfBuild2019

It probably wouldn't change a whole pile because the other site is right next to it, same land etc.

I'd like to get an engineer out to give some advice though, as the site has a slope on it, so this will obviously effect what we can and can't build.

I'd also like to know what level of detail would be best to approach an architect with? I'm thinking of approaching 2 or 3 different ones for quotes with a folio of some house designs that we like.

Advertisement