Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Choice game music!

Options
  • 07-03-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Just an idea for a thread, post your stand-out musical tracks. I suppose to keep it under control, max of 2 or 3 choices per post? Bonus points for less well known stuff.

I'm on a killer instinct buzz lately, so I'll throw out the "killer Kuts" cd that came with the snes version. Basically, this soundtrack was what was originally intended for arcade, but had to be cut back due to memory. Much more detailed soundtrack followed in killer instinct 2.

Fulgore's Theme (hard to pick just one!)

Action music from Deep Fear on Sega Saturn (trying to avoid drowning in an upside-down submarine while fighting monsters against the clock to escape).

Last choice, a great boss tune from Thunder Force 4 on megadrive (really impressive what they squeezed out of the machine here)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Early Yuzo koshiro on the PC-88

Early Hitoshi Sakimoto on the Megadrive, the only good thing about this game was the music

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We have an Ollie you know....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm biased because I played the hell out of it growing up, but the soundtrack to Mercs is absolutely amazing and my go to on lists like this. Great track after great track.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm biased because I played the hell out of it growing up, but the soundtrack to Mercs is absolutely amazing and my go to on lists like this. Great track after great track.

Manami Matsumae

She is a legend. Some crackers under her belt like the original Megaman, UN squadron, Trip world, Shovel Knight and the under appreciated music in the Gameboy return of the joker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Leander. This is gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Commando on the C64 is my all time favourite music

And a really good (admittedly not as good as the C64 version) version made for the 128k Spectrum people may have not heard before.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

In the 8-bit era my favourite video game soundtrack as a whole has to be The Last Ninja 2 composed by Matt Gray.

13 expertly crafted tracks of pure bliss, that gave the game a lot of atmosphere, especially the dark vibes of The Sewers in game track, it will send shivers down your spine.

The synth sounds are probably the closest thing to an electric guitar sound for chiptune of that era also, you can almost mosh to some of the tracks and they also sound great when covered by rock or metal bands.

For the 16-bit era you can't go wrong with Yuzo Koshiro, still can't figure out if I prefer the Streets of Rage 1 or 2 soundtrack more, and the Revenge of Shinobi was a masterpiece also.

It's also worth checking out his Sonic 1 soundtrack for the Master System, another excellent 8-bit soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The "sector 1" bit in this one

The ZX Spectrum version of it sounds better on YouTube for some reason.

Of course, they went on to get Bomb the Bass to do the music to the sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 27 corkcoco

• Advertisement

Cybernetix. This was a shareware game that was given away with one of the Amiga magazines back in the day. It was a Defender clone all the way from New Zealand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is the title music for Agent X on the Spectrum.

Batman the Movie had some superb toons, my favourite being the last level in the Cathedral Tower (starts at 13:10). We later got the Amiga Batman pack but I have a soft spot for the ZX Spectrum port of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

An obscure tune on the Atari XE/XL POKEY chip with awesome melodies when it kicks in:

A haunting tune from Jeroen Tel:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Doge wrote: »
    In the 8-bit era my favourite video game soundtrack as a whole has to be The Last Ninja 2 composed by Matt gray

Good choice :)

I'll throw another classic commodore in here (or rather, classics), the Ocean loader music.

Amazing tracks. You had to wait 50 hours of your game to load, but at least you had something cool to listen to :P

Skip to the 20 second mark...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The shoot-em-up section from the first Turrican still sounds absolutely pristine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

still not getting sick of any turrican tune to this day !
    planning another few from Turrican 2 this year too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Splatter house 2 inspired by the music of Italian 80s horror which is a very good thing. Best played in 50hz.

Crackdown had some great tracks too.

And one of the finest video game OSTs ever made, Herzog Zwei.

Comic Bakery by Martin Galway

• Advertisement

Just discovered Mystic Warriors for the first via my MAME cab and it has a nice Detroit Techno influenced soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

3 quick ones off the top of my head

Right in the feels

Amazing hype

Entire soundtrack is gold

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'll throw in my few selections.

I'm mostly a big sega mega drive fan as ye all know. I could fill a list of just those but i'll try to mix it up a bit

Basically anything by Yuzo kishiro is going to be a solid listen.

Splatterhouse 2 is another great game OST

Ive been listening to the Doom soundtrack a good bit recently too

Pretty amazing and compliments the gameplay really well, but if you really want to have your face melted off for 7 minutes then check this out by the same artist

both of them reminding me of one of the first soundtracks i remember like that

If you need to chillout after all those heavy riffs then enjoy this

Bit more modern with the next two soundtracks that im a big fan of

Really interesting series of videos aswell here

Just a tiny selection off the top of my head of things that ive listened to recently. I have a whole HDD filled with game soundtracks

I'd guess i listen to about 75% soundtracks and VGM is a hefty chunk of that. I always wanted to do a VGM podcast, have about 10 episodes typed up and all :D

Sonic Mayhem has a special place in my heart also. I'd love to hear more of that style but I don't think there's anything else quite like it that I've found yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Doge wrote: »
    Sonic Mayhem has a special place in my heart also. I'd love to hear more of that style but I don't think there's anything else quite like it that I've found yet.

He released a new album a while ago. Pretty good.

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons quake 2 is so good is because of that music.

Advertisement