Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Contact shows open zone

Options
  • 04-03-2019 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a HKC SW1070 alarm. We changed doors and the installer came back to refit the contact as there was a big gap between the frame and the door.

It worked for about a month but lately it’s acting up. These are the symptoms:

- If door is opened and then closed – when I try to set the alarm it tells me that zone is open.
    - If alarm is set and door is opened, the alarm goes off (expected behavior). Unset alarm, close door, try to reset and it says the zone is still open
    - If I tap the contact multiple times, the alarm will eventually set and it sees the zone as closed.

This happens every time the door is open. I’m assuming this is a faulty contact and needs to be replaced but just wanted to make sure there was noting else to check before replacing it?

Thanks

EDIT: thinking about since posting this - could the magnet be too far or not strong enough to reset the contact?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Could be the magnet not aligned properly. It could also be a faulty sensor on that device. The first thing I would try is disconnecting the inertia sensor & try with the contact only. is there any other devices on that zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

dec2000 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a HKC SW1070 alarm. We changed doors and the installer came back to refit the contact as there was a big gap between the frame and the door.

It worked for about a month but lately it’s acting up. These are the symptoms:

- If door is opened and then closed – when I try to set the alarm it tells me that zone is open.
    - If alarm is set and door is opened, the alarm goes off (expected behavior). Unset alarm, close door, try to reset and it says the zone is still open
    - If I tap the contact multiple times, the alarm will eventually set and it sees the zone as closed.

This happens every time the door is open. I’m assuming this is a faulty contact and needs to be replaced but just wanted to make sure there was noting else to check before replacing it?

Thanks

EDIT: thinking about since posting this - could the magnet be too far or not strong enough to reset the contact?

If tapping the contact closes and opens the zone I think you have answered your question yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

KoolKid wrote: »
    Could be the magnet not aligned properly. It could also be a faulty sensor on that device. The first thing I would try is disconnecting the inertia sensor & try with the contact only. is there any other devices on that zone?

No other devices on the zone, it's just the back door. Which ones do I disconnect (or leave connected) in the contact? Can take a pic later if it's easier? Thanks

altor wrote: »
    If tapping the contact closes and opens the zone I think you have answered your question yourself.

yup, just wanted to make sure it's not something else or there are options before replacing :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No other devices on the zone, it's just the back door. Which ones do I disconnect (or leave connected) in the contact? Can take a pic later if it's easier? Thanks

Post up a picture if you get a chance. Tapping a device will not confirm its the contact if there is also a shock sensor on the zone.

• Advertisement

yup, just wanted to make sure it's not something else or there are options before replacing :)

Id say you are correct if your prognostic is allowing you set and then not set the alarm.
    You could test with a multimeter or disconnect either part of the sensor to see if the other works.
    Usually if its a HKC sensor then there would be a loop between the first 2 terminals on the device. 6 in total.
    1 and 6, outside terminals are the contact.
    2 and 5 are the shock sensor.
    3 and 4 are the tamper.

If so follow below.

Take out loop wire. If you have a cable going into 5 and 6 take this out.
    Wire these into 2 and 5 to test the shock, make sure arrow on shock head is pointing up.
    Wire into 1 and 6 to test the contact.

Always take a photo before disconnecting so you know you can put it back together.

altor wrote: »
    Id say you are correct if your prognostic is allowing you set and then not set the alarm.
    You could test with a multimeter or disconnect either part of the sensor to see if the other works.
    Usually if its a HKC sensor then there would be a loop between the first 2 terminals on the device. 6 in total.
    1 and 6, outside terminals are the contact.
    2 and 5 are the shock sensor.
    3 and 4 are the tamper.

If so follow below.

Take out loop wire. If you have a cable going into 5 and 6 take this out.
    Wire these into 2 and 5 to test the shock, make sure arrow on shock head is pointing up.
    Wire into 1 and 6 to test the contact.

Always take a photo before disconnecting so you know you can put it back together.

Only getting back to this, was a too late in the evenings. Attached photos of the contact.

Will have a look at the cabling when the little one is less needy.

Is #1 over the spring? After putting the cover back on it showed the fault, so without opening the door, so could be the shock? If I wire 2 and 5 together, this should test this if I'm reading your response correctly?

Only getting back to this, was a too late in the evenings. Attached photos of the contact.

Is #1 over the spring? After putting the cover back on it showed the fault, so without opening the door, so could be the shock? If I wire 2 and 5 together, this should test this if I'm reading your response correctly?

1 and 2 look to have the loop as you look at the sensor.
    The red and black are the tamper.
    5 and 6 are blue and yellow going back to panel so that is what you are using.

Disconnect the loop in 1 & 2.
    Disconnect 5 & wire into 1.
    This will disconnect the sensor and leave the contact connected to see if that's working . (Is the arrow pointing up on that by the way?)
    After that joining the blue & yellow together will disconnect the sensor & contacts & confirm to you the cable is OK.

Disconnect the loop in 1 & 2.
    Disconnect 5 & wire into 1.
    This will disconnect the sensor and leave the contact connected to see if that's working . (Is the arrow pointing up on that by the way?)
    After that joining the blue & yellow together will disconnect the sensor & contacts & confirm to you the cable is OK.

Sorry, never got back on this and only got around to trying it earlier.

Disconnected the loop and wired 5 into poistion 1, and the contact is back working as expected.

So is it the shock that is now disabled? I'll end up getting a new contact but for the moment have left it connected as you said so I can set alarms without omitting zones.

Thanks for the guidance

• Advertisement

Your welcome.
    Just to double check is the sensor head aligned with the arrow pointing up?
    If replacing , replace with a new combined sensor & contact for better security.

Your welcome.
    Just to double check is the sensor head aligned with the arrow pointing up?
    If replacing , replace with a new combined sensor & contact for better security.

Sorry forgot to confirm that, yup arrow pointing up.

Change the whole unit so.

Change the whole unit so.

Yup will do, thanks for all the help

Advertisement