Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robin sitting on eggs/ laying eggs already?

• 09-03-2019 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi! I have a small garden in Nth Dublin city.
    A robin has been singing passionately all Winter in my back garden..
    I have an open box at about 5ft high in the corner of the garden. They built a nest... Quite a few weeks ago..
    Then last week i walked over and had a look and there was a robin sitting on the nest...

Is this very early to be building a nest and sitting on eggs?
    Spring is on the way.. no doubt but I dont think Winter is completely gone....just yet!

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a couple of weeks earlier than most, but not exceptionally early for Robins.

Needless to say, avoid going over to have a look for the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thanks for the reply... Yea.. i read that they are very sensitive to any disturbance..so i'll stay clear the next few weeks..

Yea.. this particular swallow was singing right through the winter sometimes at 3-4am...
    I saw the robin investigating the box in January & then the nest was built quite a few weeks ago... In the meantime.. the posturing and singing has definitely quietened down...

On a slight tangent... I can see that swallows have arrived back on Irish shores..but a couple were spotted in early to mid December...
    Would these birds survive the Winter here or generally fly on South?

Thanks for the feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭OwlEye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

Arequipa wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply... Yea.. i read that they are very sensitive to any disturbance..so i'll stay clear the next few weeks..

Yea.. this particular swallow was singing right through the winter sometimes at 3-4am...
    I saw the robin investigating the box in January & then the nest was built quite a few weeks ago... In the meantime.. the posturing and singing has definitely quietened down...

Did you mean robin or did a swallow stay for the winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

Yester wrote: »
    Did you mean robin or did a swallow stay for the winter?

That sounds like a line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

mattser wrote: »
    That sounds like a line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail :p

Lol it does a bit. I'm pretty sure they meant robin but I like the idea of a swallow that just decided to stay for the winter. Does that ever happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yester wrote: »
    Lol it does a bit. I'm pretty sure they meant robin but I like the idea of a swallow that just decided to stay for the winter. Does that ever happen?

There are reports of over wintering Swallows most years.
    If it's mild enough they can survive.

Hi! I meant can a swallow survive the winter...

I know our robins are one of our most active and vocal birds in the winter..
    I remember seeing a particularly tame robin on st stephens green , very late after a night out in town.. obviously he was used to people walking by late at night with chips etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I spotted a swallow in ealy January. Thought it very strange. But as Dylan says the times they are a changing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

cd07 wrote: »
    I spotted a swallow in ealy January. Thought it very strange. But as Dylan says the times they are a changing!
    Thomas?
    😀

Advertisement