Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casting lessons

Options
  • 15-02-2019 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to get back into sea angling again and would like to learn the pendulum cast.

Does any one know of any casting instructor in the Munster or Connaught area's, ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Don’t know anyone in those areas but there’s a very good guy in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Don’t know anyone in those areas but there’s a very good guy in Greystones.

Thanks, is he one of the sport's cast Ireland guy's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Thanks, is he one of the sport's cast Ireland guy's ?

I think so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

A day upto sportscast Ireland is well worth it.
    The lads are massive casters. The better lads will regularly hit 250m and occasionally over 300m when the conditions are right.
    They do coaching too so it's much better than just going to a beach or field with lads who fish and think their massive casters.

One thing I noticed when I was up was the lads who reckon they put bait out 150(or even 200) yards couldn't hit that with plain leads. Big drop off when you put on a big crab bait or 2/3 smaller baits.
    Casting on a marked court shows you exactly how far your hitting so there's no guess work or BS.
    The lads will get you to to 2/3 casts and just stand back and watch. After than they will try and get you to do small things differently. I'm not a big hitter and I ended up adding almost 40m that day. The better lads with us consistently jumped 70-90m just by making small tweaks.

If your in an area that doesn't have smoothies I'd recommend heading up early in the morning, cast with them all day, then head to a beach and fish for the hounds. It's a cracking day out and you'll have a good laugh with the lads with the bonus of a hard fighting fish you might not get at home.

.red. wrote: »
    A day upto sportscast Ireland is well worth it.
    The lads are massive casters. The better lads will regularly hit 250m and occasionally over 300m when the conditions are right.
    They do coaching too so it's much better than just going to a beach or field with lads who fish and think their massive casters.

One thing I noticed when I was up was the lads who reckon they put bait out 150(or even 200) yards couldn't hit that with plain leads. Big drop off when you put on a big crab bait or 2/3 smaller baits.
    Casting on a marked court shows you exactly how far your hitting so there's no guess work or BS.
    The lads will get you to to 2/3 casts and just stand back and watch. After than they will try and get you to do small things differently. I'm not a big hitter and I ended up adding almost 40m that day. The better lads with us consistently jumped 70-90m just by making small tweaks.

If your in an area that doesn't have smoothies I'd recommend heading up early in the morning, cast with them all day, then head to a beach and fish for the hounds. It's a cracking day out and you'll have a good laugh with the lads with the bonus of a hard fighting fish you might not get at home.

Thanks.

I'm able to throw it maybe 170 yard's with a 5 0z lead and an arielised org cast but know I can do better, way better.

I was up there a few years ago and met all the lads, but it was a day for chucking lead's not much lessons.
    I thought I didn't need a lesson to be honest, but then when I spent the day up there I realized that I could have more potential

I'm out of the shore fishing scene a few years now but getting back into it again.

Got lessons off Steve Gillet in Kerry year's ago, he's a good instructor but moved back to the UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

Is sportscast Ireland still going? The last post on fb is from 2015.

Is sportscast Ireland still going? The last post on fb is from 2015.

I just called one of the regular lads, he told me they finished up last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gmax

SCI finished up last summer due to dwindling numbers unfortunately, I used cast with them regularly years ago.

170 yards is a good chuck with plain lead how much more do you want?

I am based in Dublin but home regularly in Limerick if you ever want a lesson.

Advertisement