Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching bag in Dublin

Options
  • 01-02-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend a reputable store to get a punching bag from?

We want to hang it to our wall out the back.

Most bags I seen were the fake leather crap that Argos loves to sell.

Out budget..maybe €150? Second hand is an option. Maybe we're stuck to the fake leather at our budget?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

the martial arts shop in caple street would be your first port of call the fighters corner up in finglas village and mick dowlings place i thinks thats in terenure village

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

the martial arts shop in caple street would be your first port of call the fighters corner up in finglas village and mick dowlings place i thinks thats in terenure village

I'll check the shop on caple street. They were actually really helpful when I was in getting hand wraps.

I love in kimmage so I'll check the Mick Dowling shop out.

Do you think we can get anything decent in our price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

Mick Dowlings shop. There was a guy selling as 'gymless' on adverts.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

If you're going to Mick Dowling's shop you'll pay a lot extra.

It's been a few years since I've dealt with them, but that Martial Arts shop on Capel street (Mullens I think) is very good. Good quality and good prices.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Got mine in Mick Dowlings good quality stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Got mine in Mick Dowlings good quality stuff.

Haven't been in that in probably 15 years. But, Jesus, he used to be fierce pricey.

I'm in town now but unfortunately, Mullen's is closed. I might take a cycle in tomorrow and check them out.

Does this one on their website look any use?

https://mullensports.com/Vinyl punch-bag

It's their most expensive one. Would also need a rack to hold it against a wall too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

You will get a decent bag for 150 in Mick cowlings. It’s right beside you too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm interested in getting a punch bag for home fitness. The problem is that I don't really have anywhere in or around the house that I'd be able to hang a punch bag so I was looking at the possibility of a floor standing one.

Is it possible to get one of these that's decent quality and not too expensive? Obviously a hanging bag is always going to be better from a practical point of view but can you get a similar experience with a good floor standing one?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

jiltloop wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm interested in getting a punch bag for home fitness. The problem is that I don't really have anywhere in or around the house that I'd be able to hang a punch bag so I was looking at the possibility of a floor standing one.

Is it possible to get one of these that's decent quality and not too expensive? Obviously a hanging bag is always going to be better from a practical point of view but can you get a similar experience with a good floor standing one?

I bought a 'Gallant' one on Amazon. It's a floor standing one that has a base you fill with sand or water. I used water. Good for kicking and boxing really. Can't fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Perry12 wrote: »
    I bought a 'Gallant' one on Amazon. It's a floor standing one that has a base you fill with sand or water. I used water. Good for kicking and boxing really. Can't fault it.

I bought one of them and the base cracked after a shorted while.

Wasn't getting any joy out of the company but thankfully paid with paypal and got refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

Ush1 wrote: »
    I bought one of them and the base cracked after a shorted while.

Wasn't getting any joy out of the company but thankfully paid with paypal and got refunded.

I hope mine doesn't crack or it'll flood the place!

We got a bag from Mick Dowling's shop.

€150 bag and €60 bracket.

Really heavy bag and decent quality. A little too heavy on our wrists but I'm sure we will get used to that in time.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    We got a bag from Mick Dowling's shop.

€150 bag and €60 bracket.

Really heavy bag and decent quality. A little too heavy on our wrists but I'm sure we will get used to that in time.

Get strap weights for your wrists and shadow box 15 minutes an evening to strengthen the wrists and will also tighten up your snap on your jab

Get strap weights for your wrists and shadow box 15 minutes an evening to strengthen the wrists and will also tighten up your snap on your jab

Thank you. I'll take your advice, sounds like a good idea. Should I do some wrist/fore arm exercises at the gym too?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Thank you. I'll take your advice, sounds like a good idea. Should I do some wrist/fore arm exercises at the gym too?

Yes wrist curls will strengthen the lower arm. Try do some pad work also.

Yes wrist curls will strengthen the lower arm. Try do some pad work also.

Yeah my brother and I have some pads. Thanks alot. I'll pass the tips onto my brother also.

Advertisement