Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP BS

Options
  • 06-02-2019 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭

I applied to Information & Communication Studies (BSc Social Sciences) and got an email about the MSAP test https://msap-ireland.acer.org/files/MSAP-InformationBooklet.pdf

Im looking at the Module 1 essay question.... so is this a test on how much one can waffle about a random subject?

Im going to study Information studies, Im interested communicating facts based on research, not making up stuff to say in response to an unseen topic.

its not my top choice, so think im just not going to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ellawr

Been reading up on the MSAP myself, just booked mine for March. As far as I know only select colleges make you do it, and for certain subjects. UCD, NUIG, UCC and DCU, maybe more. Because it's past the timely applications it'll also cost you around 118 to book it I think? Module 1 is two short essays, half an hour each and then depending on your course Module 2 and 3 are multiple choice Qs. From what I've seen you do need to practice a bit or at least familiarise yourself with the format so I'd say you need to decide now whether or not you're going to do it. If you're really not pushed on that specific course then maybe don't bother with it, but if you do you can find an online free sample paper with answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The content of the essay question is secondary, you're actually being graded on your capacity to structure and present a coherent argument. It's more a matter of 'how' you waffle rather than 'how much.'

It's also acts as a snaky test of how one can perform under university exam conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    The content of the essay question is secondary, you're actually being graded on your capacity to structure and present a coherent argument. It's more a matter of 'how' you waffle rather than 'how much.'

It's also acts as a snaky test of how one can perform under university exam conditions.
    One presume one presents a coherent university level argument by backing it up with research, which you cannot do in this test. WHat exam will I be doing in the university course that require to make up an opinion on the spot? whether I have one or not

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Funny enough I have a similar enquiry like yours which I was going to make a thread about but I'll just say it here now since it's relevant. I picked Arts with Journalism in my CAO choices but it's not one of the choices I'm most interested in doing. I have it way down in my order of preferences (5th) of courses I want to do and like you I have received an email to do the MSAP Mature Students Test. I'm just wondering how important it is to do this test and I have done my research and the courses I want to do have no information about completing the MSAP test so I'm just wondering how important it is? Will it affect me with the courses I want to do If I choose not to do it even though it seems like it's not highlighted for the courses I want to study in college next year?

Thanks for any help from a worried mature student. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Funny enough I have a similar enquiry like yours which I was going to make a thread about but I'll just say it here now since it's relevant. I picked Arts with Journalism in my CAO choices but it's not one of the choices I'm most interested in doing. I have it way down in my order of preferences (5th) of courses I want to do and like you I have received an email to do the MSAP Mature Students Test. I'm just wondering how important it is to do this test and I have done my research and the courses I want to do have no information about completing the MSAP test so I'm just wondering how important it is? Will it affect me with the courses I want to do If I choose not to do it even though it seems like it's not highlighted for the courses I want to study in college next year?

Thanks for any help from a worried mature student. :o
    well unless you want to end up being a opinion columnists who has a strong opinion on a subject once a week coinciding with your pay packet, otherwise I don't know what use this test is....

• Advertisement
Advertisement