Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adonis "Superman" Stevenson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

pac_man wrote: »
    Anyone watch the fight? Was he getting a hiding?

No.

In spite of what some said all rounds were very close, with Gvozdyk maybe ahead, but the finish was decisive - a real heavy knockdown after a series of punches. However, he got up and was sitting in his corner afterwards and looked fine. Obviously, things turned for the worse later. I hope he pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,630 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Accumulation took its toll here. Looked groggy and confused at the end. Collapsed in his dressing room.....poor man....

It's times like these when he need to remember what these men put on the line for "entertainment." Yes, they get paid, but the sport is so very dangerous. Inherently so......

That's why I rarely complain when a referee steps in to protect a fighter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

pac_man wrote: »
    Anyone watch the fight? Was he getting a hiding?

Watched it myself Pac_man. He certainly got no hiding in terms of the whole fight. Few hard bangs but no more than one would expect in a good fight. Gvosdyk managed to slip & counter a fair bit but there didn't seem to be much on the end of them. Stevenson's straight left had Gvosdyk all over the shop a couple of times. The KO was fairly brutal alright but many a KO are & thankfully most walk away from it unhurt.
    It's no secret that Stevenson has a shady past from back in Haiti, however, it's not nice when a boxer is facing brain damage in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭normanoffside

41 years old, it bring up the debate if he should still be fighting at that age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Watched it myself Pac_man. He certainly got no hiding in terms of the whole fight. Few hard bangs but no more than one would expect in a good fight. Gvosdyk managed to slip & counter a fair bit but there didn't seem to be much on the end of them. Stevenson's straight left had Gvosdyk all over the shop a couple of times. The KO was fairly brutal alright but many a KO are & thankfully most walk away from it unhurt.
    It's no secret that Stevenson has a shady past from back in Haiti, however, it's not nice when a boxer is facing brain damage in the aftermath.
    What's his past got to do with anything?

• Advertisement

It's got to do with levels of sympathy people may have....

Human nature to have less sympathy for people who may have done a lot of nasty things in their life and who have hurt other people....

This seems obvious to me.....

Read up on Adonis...

I'm just making a point about sympathy here....

41 years old, it bring up the debate if he should still be fighting at that age?

Iirc in the amateurs anything over 35 is veteran.

But yes, Stevenson is a couple of years past his best. The likes of Bernard Hopkins survived by spoiling. Unfortunately the need to make a living plus the gravy train that runs along with that will ensure these fellas fight well into retirement age.

Gerald McClellan didn't get a whole lot of sympathy when he suffered due to his past......Plenty people had no sympathy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Og81

Rape? I know what it’s got to do with it. Hopefully karma finds him.

• Advertisement

It's got to do with people's feelings toward Stevenson. There are those who would not wish him well given his self admitted past.

walshb wrote: »
    It's got to do with levels of sympathy people may have....

Human nature to have less sympathy for people who may have done a lot of nasty things in their life and who have hurt other people....

This seems obvious to me.....

Read up on Adonis...

I'm just making a point about sympathy here....

I know about him...I live in Canada. I suppose those affected by his past actions won't be too sad today but for the casual boxING fan I would think the opposite. By all accounts he has made efforts to atone for his past wrongs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I don't think the age thing can be questioned really. I mean firstly Adonis was a world champion so hard to argue that an organization should strip a fighter just because of age, secondly he hasn't looked a shot fighter or anything close, he gave Jack a good fight so was still performing at a high level. He's a scummy character and if you actually read the details of what he did i'd argue he should have never been let out of prison in the first place. Having said that i believe he now has a young daughter, whatever his past it's very sad for the little girl that she might grow up without ever knowing her father or else grow up having a dad who needs constant care. Hope he pulls through despite his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Watched it all and thought it was pretty close until the ko. However Gvozdyk had a decade on him and with that nutter Atlas screaming at him did produce a crisp counter in the 3rd that dropped Stevenson but somehow the ref ruled it a slip. I'm no doctor but the final punch looked like it caused all the damage. He was gone at that stage.

Yes Stevenson has a shady past but is not surprising in boxing. There would be no sport if everyone involved was a first class citizen! The WBC said he was an "exemplary human being".

Good to see a new Champion and this division seems to have a bright future.

Stil in an induced coma and critical....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Any update to this? The longer it goes on the worse things are looking.

His missus put out a tweet yesterday saying pray for a miracle. Not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Partial paralysis for Adonis. Awful.

Breaking NEWS-Adonis Stevenson, according to the Godfather Réjean Tremblay Adonis is paralyzed on the right side and has electrodes planted in the brain. -Source VAT Sports

https://twitter.com/Berger_INRI/status/1073604783909548032

I don’t know, maybe give the man a little time first, before taking his very existence away from him...

The humane thing to do would be to euthanize this man if he is effectively brain-dead and will have no quality of life. It would be the best option for him and his family all things considered.

Right sided paralysis is no case for euthanasia. Plenty of those with brain injury resulting in right sided paralysis make there way back towards full recovery. Even those who cannot recover may function well.

• Advertisement

Almost certain to be a vegetable at this point.

Don't see where you get that from in the links provided. If you have other sources please post them.
    All we can say from the information provided is that he has right sided motor deficit, which indicates a left sided brain injury. He may or may not have other deficits. At this stage he still has rehab potential.

Almost certain to be a vegetable at this point.

This kind of reads a little offensively if I’m honest...

We’re talking about a human being fighting for his life...barely a ‘month’ into his fight, and you’re labeling/marking him a vegetable?

I never liked that description being applied to people suffering so much...

walshb wrote: »
    This kind of reads a little offensively if I’m honest...

We’re talking about a human being fighting for his life...barely a ‘month’ into his fight, and you’re labeling/marking him a vegetable?

I never liked that description being applied to people suffering so much...

This sums up what I thought when I read the post. No sympathy. Not very respectful and with no medical evidence or thought to make such a remark. A little offensive is too kind for that.

He's out of the coma. Supposedly the ref is feeling it mentally. Tough spot for so many people involved.

That's great news! I'm sure he is but it's very hard to come in on a world champion while he's still on his feet. It was a mistake that could have been avoided but things happened fast and he'd just had a good round. Guy shouldn't beat himself up too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Ref will definitely be hating himself for this, but shouldn't be...Think it would have been hard to stop it much quicker, May be 3 punches earlier but still only a couple of seconds earlier...Watched the fight before I heard of the seriousness, and didn't think he was slow to stop it..
    ...Thinking back to Price against Povetkin, Price was standing there limp and almost unconscious before Povetkin even got ready to throw the final punch, so ref got in quick enough imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Looks like he will make a fill recovery

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/2019-update-on-adonis-stevenson/106606
    Media Statement Regarding Boxing Champion Adonis Stevenson From Girlfriend Simone “Sisi” God: As the first month of 2019 slowly comes to a close, I’d like to share an update on the health of our beloved boxing champion Adonis Stevenson.

Last month, I disclosed that Adonis had woken up and was healing from his injury in the private company of his family and his dedicated medical team. Today, I am happy to share that after months of grueling workouts and physical therapy, Adonis has taken his first few steps, and is working towards walking independently.

Despite his champion health, these improvements to his condition have not come easy. Adonis has pushed himself as the true champion that he is, incorporating courage and determination into his recovery. It has been a true gift to watch his health improve and we are grateful for every advancement he has made. Adonis is a world champion in the ring and continues to exhibit strength and perseverance in his rehabilitation.

Additionally, I am happy to share that Adonis is beginning to verbally communicate and is able to speak to our family, friends and his medical team. At this time, I am confident that our Superman will make a full recovery.

Well that’s all good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

Glad to hear he's making a full recovery such a beast, never forget what he did to Bellew

• Advertisement

Saw a photo online of Stevenson and Badau Jack. Looking well thank God

Advertisement