Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends Boxing 15/3 (Spence-Garcia, Carroll-Farmer, Taylor-Volante, Conlan in MSG)

Options
  • 15-03-2019 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭

Is this the biggest weekend for Irish boxing ever? Must be up there.

Struggling to give Carroll much of a prayer tonight tbh. He'll be game though and give it his all at least. Late stoppage or lob-sided points win for Farmer imo.

Not seen any of Volante but you'd have to imagine Taylor won't have any problems. Bigger fish to fry later this year for her. John Joe Nevin also on the Philadelphia card if anyone is clinging onto hope that his pro career will ever take off.

Conlan fighting a come forward Mexican. Hopefully brings out the best of him. Paddy Barnes on the card too as well as Vladimir Nikitin who is being lined up to rematch Conlan at the end of the summer.

Spike O'Sullivan and Niall Kennedy are out in Boston Saturday night in tick-over fights too.

I'm a massive Mikey Garcia fan but I'm fully expecting Spence to stop him. Basically three weight divisions between them. Should be fun to watch it play out though. If Mikey somehow does it he's P4P no.1 for me no doubt.

Boxing on TV this weekend (UK):

Mar 15, 9pm, FreeSports
    Frank-Wilton

Mar 15, 11pm, Sky Sports
    Farmer-Carroll
    Taylor-Volante

Mar 16, 5pm, Boxnation
    Lerena-Mann

Mar 17, 1am, ITV4
    Spence-Garcia
    Benavidez-Love
    Nery-Arroyo

Mar 17, 8.45pm, Boxnation
    Conlan-Hernandez
    Collazo-Vargas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Mikey looking awful pudgy and facing probably the best body puncher in the sport. Just can't see this ending well.

D1uTBuZWsAYRIPe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Mikey was pudgy at 140 so 147 was always going to be worse.

Over in Philadelphia right now, heading to the Taylor/Carroll card. My first pro fight card. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Luke Wilton also fought for the Commonwealth Super-Flyweight title tonight.
    He got stopped in 4, and tbh there's a good chance that's the end for Winky.

I expect Taylor to win well, but her opponent was actually a little better than expected when I watched some or her fights. Physically very strong and powerful.
    Carroll is up against it, think he might got stopped late as he tires.

Yeleussinov definitely a let down so far. Do think the Sky pundits can be a bit harsh on him at times though especially when you compare to how much they hype up their own. The positive spin that they put on any sub-par Brit performance isn't there when it's Yeleussinov.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Did John Joe Nevin fight yet? Can't find result anywhere and as far as I can make out there's only three fights left after this Campbell one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

what time does Katie walk?

what time does Katie walk?
    I'd guess about 12:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Quite impressive there from Luke Campbell. All round skills on display and good sharp punching. Gave away too much ground unnecessarily in the first two rounds, but once he settled he looked good.

Pighead wrote: »
    Did John Joe Nevin fight yet? Can't find result anywhere and as far as I can make out there's only three fights left after this Campbell one.

Hasnt fought yet. He's the float so could fight at any time.

Did I just hear Macklin say Campbell can be the best 135 pounder in the world ffs. McGuigan is a great move for Campbell but if he wins a world title he'll need the stars to align for him and he'll be doing very very well.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Did I just hear Macklin say Campbell can be the best 135 pounder in the world ffs. McGuigan is a great move for Campbell but if he wins a world title he'll need the stars to align for him and he'll be doing very very well.

Outside of Lomachenko, who else is there that you would definitely put money on to beat Campbell? I'm not saying he's a cert against anyone else, but a world title is certainly within his scope.

megadodge wrote: »
    Outside of Lomachenko, who else is there that you would definitely put money on to beat Campbell? I'm not saying he's a cert against anyone else, but a world title is certainly within his scope.

He can definitely win a world title but the right opportunity is going to have to come up ie if Mikey Garcia vacates he'll probably get gifted a world title there. That's his best chance.

He wouldn't beat Lomachenko, Mikey or Teofimo Lopez.

Likes of Commey, Easter, Haney would be winnable fights that he's a slight underdog in for me.

I'd guess about 12:45.
    Oops. I meant to say 1:45. Losing track of time here! Rosado fight on now and then Katie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Oops. I meant to say 1:45. Losing track of time here! Rosado fight on now and then Katie.

Id say the 12 cans of cheap Polish lager contributed to that inability to keep track of time Pighead.

He can definitely win a world title but the right opportunity is going to have to come up ie if Mikey Garcia vacates he'll probably get gifted a world title there. That's his best chance.

He wouldn't beat Lomachenko, Mikey or Teofimo Lopez.

Likes of Commey, Easter, Haney would be winnable fights that he's a slight underdog in for me.

I highly doubt Mikey will be fighting at lightweight again, irrespective of tomorrow night's result, so he's never in the equation. Lopez looks decent, but he's completely unproven yet. And that's it.

It's hardly a stretch to see him winning against anyone not named Lomachenko.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

pac_man wrote: »
    Not long now until Adam Smith goes into overdrive about Katie Taylor

- "Fantastic ambassador for women's boxing"
    - "Stellar amateur career"
    - "Classy operator outside of the ring"
    - "Olympic gold medalist"
    - "Wants to unify all of the belts"
    - "Humble, Shy and very respectful "

Have I missed any that should be on the list of cliches?

Global superstar should probably be in there somewhere i reckon. And maybe her ringcraft too.

I highly doubt Mikey will be fighting at lightweight again, irrespective of tomorrow night's result, so he's never in the equation. Lopez looks decent, but he's completely unproven yet. And that's it.

It's hardly a stretch to see him winning against anyone not named Lomachenko.

Well he's mandatory to face Mikey which is why I brought that up. It's either fight Mikey or have a very winnable fight for a world title which is what I'd say he's praying for. I don't think Mikey going back to 135 is completely out of the equation. The next biggest money fight is there for him in Lomachenko.

It's not the idea of Campbell winning a world title that I have the issue with. It's Macklin saying he could be the best at 135 which is absolutely mental given Lomachenko is in the division.

Well he's mandatory to face Mikey which is why I brought that up. It's either fight Mikey or have a very winnable fight for a world title which is what I'd say he's praying for. I don't think Mikey going back to 135 is completely out of the equation. The next biggest money fight is there for him in Lomachenko.

It's not the idea of Campbell winning a world title that I have the issue with. It's Macklin saying he could be the best at 135 which is absolutely mental given Lomachenko is in the division.

Totally agree with you there.

Sulecki is a very good fighter. A problem for anyone bar the elite at 160. Gave Jacobs a lot to think about last year.

Sulecki got careless and boy it made for a great finish to the fight.
    Fair play to Rosado, he's got great heart.

• Advertisement

That was a brilliant performance by Katie.
    Reminicent of her best days in the amateurs.
    She has re-discovered her best form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

That was a one sided beat down. A bigger punch and she would have been done much sooner

She looked stronger too. Traps clearly more developed?
    And loved how she seemed to mix it up a lot each round - she was clearly listening and acting on Enamit's corner advice.
    Delighted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Headbutt to close the show all the same but dominant display.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

come on farmer beat the mcgregor loud mouth wanna be copycat............................................

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Volante was a bit limited in fairness but i liked her bravery and sheer stubbornness. Would Katie have finished it without the head clash? Have my doubts about it. Doesn’t look like she’s hitting hard but volante took some punishment there, it was relentless and she’s going to be sore for a few days.

bassy wrote: »
    come on farmer beat the mcgregor loud mouth wanna be copycat............................................

Cos McGregor is soooooo original :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

Cos McGregor is soooooo original :rolleyes:

there both clowns of the highest order.

pac_man wrote: »
    Not taking anything away from the performance, she looked stronger, performed well and bullied the bully. But you'd have to question the levels here.

Shes had a lot more tougher fights in the amateurs.This fight was for a world title and that opponent was far too slow. It says it all when Adam Smith lists a number of potential opponents and goes " Sandy Ryan in the amateurs , it's boom-time for women's boxing :D".

I don't think that had anything to do with future opponents, I think he was talking about 'big' names in women's boxing - he mentioned Clarissa Shiels among those names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Iano813

What times conlon ring walk,

Advertisement