Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballygall Parade, Finglas

Options
  • 11-07-2013 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anybody know what this area is like to live in?

Cheers Fi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Not going to lie, it can be rough... my parents car was burnt out there a few years ago, up by the maisonettes. I reckon it's like any part of Dublin though, keep yourself to yourself and you'll get no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

There is a far higher chance of somthing untowards happening living in that area. Im not saying it is a terrible area to live in, or somthing will happen every day but definitely a higher chance over a period of time compared to other areas.

Look at the above post -parents got their car burned out. However the next sentence suggests keep yourself to yourself and you will get no trouble.

Doesnt seem to add up

We had the option of moving there in 2010, viewed the house but it was too small for our needs, so we decided against it. Had it been the right house I would have moved in no problem. Even knowing what happened with my parents car.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

OP personally I'd try to keep further east, in the Cremore direction. A relatively small distance geographically speaking, but quite a different atmosphere to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

I live in the area up until I got married. It used to depend which end of the parade you lived in , the middle and the top end towards the church was always alright but from the maisonettes down not so much. The same could be said for the cresent. But having said that I lived there most of my life and never had a problem. The Griffith can be a nice are but can also have its problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Have been living on Ballygall Ave for the last 16 months but need to move as my rental property is on the market, really love the area so trying to find a house share nearby.

I pass the Parade on the 83 the odd time and some parts do look a bit rough so was just wondering, not sure the position of the house but the rental add states it's overlooking the green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

There is a green at the top and bottom parts of the road. if you keep to yourself in any area no one is going to know you and I suppose you can have problems from that but if keeping to yourself means not snooping on your neighbours that can be a good thing.

Yes it's all about striking a happy medium I suppose, it would be a room in an owner occupied house so lots of chances to get to know the neighbours I suppose.

Sure will have a look anyway nothing to loose thanks for the feedback people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Fiona wrote: »
    Yes it's all about striking a happy medium I suppose, it would be a room in an owner occupied house so lots of chances to get to know the neighbours I suppose.

Sure will have a look anyway nothing to loose thanks for the feedback people.

Being an owner occupier house should makes things a bit easier as you can get the heads up from him as to the lay of the land. Though if it is rough it is unlikely they'll be telling you till after you've moved in so buyer beware.

If it's owner occupied you'll have no lease per the Rent A Room scheme, so you only have to give minimum notice to move out if you don't like it after you move in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

It depends on a few things really and luck plays quite a big part in it...you can live next door to a family of scrotes and be driven mad all day or twenty yards up the road and never have an ounce of bother.

It also depends,unfortunatley on whether you're irish and what you look like...if you look like you can handle yourself and *will* say boo to a goose you'll be left comepletely alone.

Having said all that,Finglas,for the most part has changed hugely over tha last ten years and most places(with a few exceptions) are safe and pelasant to live in.

chopper6 wrote: »
    It also depends,unfortunatley on whether you're irish and what you look like...if you look like you can handle yourself and *will* say boo to a goose you'll be left comepletely alone.

I managed a year in Finglas West I am sure I will survive :P

Had a look around there yesterday, if it's facing onto the green can't see it being too bad but if it's near the masionettes then I will be wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Fiona wrote: »
    I managed a year in Finglas West I am sure I will survive :P

Had a look around there yesterday, if it's facing onto the green can't see it being too bad but if it's near the masionettes then I will be wary.

As you lived in the West, Ballygall will see minor problems compared to there. Ballygall is such a small area, and if someone causes problems you will know who it is. As anywhere, there are skanger types around but they do not rule the roost like in the West :)

My mother lives in Ferndale, so perhaps try somewhere up by Collins?(beside Beneavin). Nearer Ballygall rd West\Ballymun Ave\Glasnevin Ave the better. Thats if you want to stay nearby!

Enquired about the room yesterday and its gone so the search continues! Thanks for all the feedback people!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

lucky you,,,

Advertisement