Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning the Poppy - A thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Came across this on Twitter.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7664271/Outrage-video-young-woman-burning-poppy-emerges-ahead-Remembrance-Sunday.html

I've found it fascinating, for a number of reasons.

I think she shouldn't have.

You?

#sexchat

No fan of British soldiers, anyone of them working here should go back in a box etc etc.

Scummy thing to do by her.

Rich kid shock jock activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The outrage over this has just given poppy haters a new way to annoy the poppy fascists.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

She’s a dickhead for burning the poppy but so are a lot of the people outraged by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Saw Louis Walsh wearing a poppy on tv earlier.

After the old knighthood eh Louis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

So she’s paid the money for the poppy (which is what it’s really about) and burned it. Reminds me of people in the US that bought the NWA album just to destroy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saw Louis Walsh wearing a poppy on tv earlier.

After the old knighthood eh Louis?

First time watching British television?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

Wearing the poppy in the UK is approaching cult status. Woe betide anyone that fails to follow the cult and show their allegiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

First time watching British television?
    Don't usually watch any of those sh1te Satuday evening "talent" shows,no.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That over privileged arsehole mustn’t have the intelligence to comprehend what it would have been like to have one hand on that ladder,hearing that whistle knowing it’s certain death

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

What's she doing in England? No one would be overjoyed if a fordiner were in ireland burning an Irish symbol like a harp or nell mccafferty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

That over privileged arsehole mustn’t have the intelligence to comprehend what it would have been like to have one hand on that ladder,hearing that whistle knowing it’s certain death

Or shooting protesters in Derry, Kenya, India etc. etc.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Freedom of speech. Its like something the DUP would do though ..only to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

People love moaning about the poppy, as if they were directly involved in any altercation with the British army themselves. The majority of these eegits have no interest in history but instead just love stirring ****e.

fatknacker wrote: »
    What's she doing in England? No one would be overjoyed if a fordiner were in ireland burning an Irish symbol like a harp or nell mccafferty
    I think she is english.

If she is Irish she shouldn't have done it. If she is English (which i think she is) freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The bottom line is that without the sacrifice of thousands of young British, American and Russian soldiers we would be living under Nazi rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

Edgware wrote: »
    The bottom line is that without the sacrifice of thousands of young British, American and Russian soldiers we would be living under Nazi rule.

I think it covers WW1 also and all subsequent British soldiers lives in various conflicts. Is it not principally Battle of the Somme ?

Agree 100% with you but the poppy is pushed so hard down everyone’s throat and is very “in your face” that it borders on ridiculous. Yes remember but put away the flegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That aside, the fact is that the poppy does not refer to only WWII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

If she is Irish she shouldn't have done it. If she is English (which i think she is) freedom of speech.

The freedom of speech thing applies to the Irish too, no?

Damien360 wrote: »
    I think it covers WW1 also and all subsequent British soldiers lives in various conflicts. Is it not principally Battle of the Somme ?

Agree 100% with you but the poppy is pushed so hard down everyone’s throat and is very “in your face” that it borders on ridiculous. Yes remember but put away the flegs.
    I agree with you there that it is has gone overboard but from an Irish view we really have not commemorated the thousands of young Irishmen slaughtered in Flanders or Galipoli.
    They werent pro British. They were just young lads looking for adventure or wanting to put food on the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I agree with you there that it is has gone overboard but from an Irish view we really have not commemorated the thousands of young Irishmen slaughtered in Flanders or Galipoli.
    They werent pro British. They were just young lads looking for adventure or wanting to put food on the table

"'Twas Brittania bade our wild geese go
    That small nations might be free
    But their lonely graves are by Suvla's waves
    On the shore of the gray North Sea
    But had they died by Pearse's side
    Or fought with Cathal Brugha
    Their names we would keep where the Fenians sleep"

🙈🙉🙊

Achasanai wrote: »
    The freedom of speech thing applies to the Irish too, no?

In our case i have noticed its more a case of freedom to be a dick.

"'Twas Brittania bade our wild geese go
    That small nations might be free
    But their lonely graves are by Suvla's waves
    On the shore of the gray North Sea
    But had they died by Pearse's side
    Or fought with Cathal Brugha
    Their names we would keep where the Fenians sleep"
    Lovely song but not much use agaist the Luftwaffe when they flew in against Poland Holland Belgium and France

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

It was brought up in the dail in the past week that just 3% of newly recruited gardai were sent to Cork. There is a huge shortage of gardai in Cork and this is the type of activity they simply cannot respond to in numbers .

I've found it fascinating, for a number of reasons.

As a Corkman who lived in Derry for a long number of years and a republican for 40+ years no excuse for what she did,unless she has mental issues etc , maybe she's a silly attention seeker ,what next burn a few churches, synagogues,etc etc,she'd need to learn a bit about life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Don't see the big deal...the poppy represents people who have murdered innocent people in Northern Ireland and across the middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Damien360 wrote: »
    Wearing the poppy in the UK is approaching cult status. Woe betide anyone that fails to follow the cult and show their allegiance.

It's not actually.

It's only really worn by a small minority.

But its worn by near 99% of people on tv, that's why we all think the whole country is wearing them.

I watched a couple of interviews on British tv over the last couple of days. One was at a train station and the other on a high street. It was very rare to see anyone in the background with a poppy.

I was in Belfast today. In case people don't know, there would be a lot of unionists there. I think I see maybe less than 10 people wearing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think she is english.

She sounds Irish to me but she does not speak long enough to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So the video is a year old and she has apologised for it.

DM stuck for stories to be outraged about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

The big hitters haven't arrived on thread yet. Busy racking up numbers on other posts I'd guess.
    Give them time...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

She's from Limerick, case solved. Close thread.

Advertisement