Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Surprising bit of news: there's a sequel to It Follows on the way, They Follow, and will also come from DAvid Robert Mitchell. Man I loved the original so much as such a patient, dread-induced horror film, but initially hesitant they can pull it off second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

worst kept secret, if HBO are up to it, no doubt the other are too

"Bloys was responding to a bombshell Rolling Stone report that referenced alleged text messages between himself and Kathleen McCaffrey, HBO’s senior vice-president of drama programming. In six conversations, the pair discussed a “secret army” that could respond to TV critics who gave HBO shows a negative review."

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It had to happen

Film industry cynics may take one look at a newly-announced low-budget comedy called Barbenheimer and a poster that uses Barbie’s iconic pink font over a picture of a nuclear explosion and features the tag-line “D-Cup, A-Bomb,” and immediately assume it’s simply a shameless attempt to cash in on a very recent cultural phenomenon. And those cynics would be absolutely correct, says Charles Band, the prolific B-movie icon who has been making low-budget horror comedies since the early 1970s. 

• Registered Users Posts: 30,824 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jeysus, we've already had 3 versions of that movie - do we really need a fourth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Did we really need the first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Does anyone collect old Empire magazines? Is that still a thing? I have come into possession of half a dozen from early 00's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Warner Bros are at it again, dumping a completed film for tax write-off reasons.

Several reports suggest the film was actually being extremely well received, and that others were interested in buying it. But no, Warners decided to dump it.

Miserable stuff. David Zaslav's reign has really proven one of the most noxious, anti-art corporate periods in Hollywood's hardly stellar history. Hard to imagine how devastating this must be for the filmmakers. Hopefully someone leaks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And that was one of the things I was saying they should've fought for in the strike. I mean if they were fighting for steaming residuals, then releasing/keeping the works on streaming in the first place would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks like there is a market for the film after all

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The latest is that after a bit of a backlash WB have done an about turn and allowed the production to shop around for another distributor. Which is gonna be insane to think about: a Looney Tunes film won't be a Warner Brothers release, if it finds a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭briany

Why is Corey Feldman not in more proper big movies or TV series? He was in a clutch of 80s films that a lot of today's directors probably grew up absolutely loving. I'd have thought that giving him even a small part in something like Stranger Things would have been an absolute no-brainer. Is he just considered too mad to employ in a big production or did he make enemies out of the wrong people or what?

Looks like finally after all this time, we're getting 4K Blu-Rays of Aliens, True Lies, and The Abyss; delighted the latter is getting a little 4K love 'cos that was one of the harder ones to get on high definition for the longest time IIRC.

Must actually re-watch True Lies sometime 'cos other than Piranhas 2 it must be Cameron's most forgotten work.

I've never understood the appeal of 'True Lies'. It's beloved by a lot of people and I always found a really bang average movie.

Is it though ? Cos I'd really struggle to think of the last time anyone mentioned the film. It gets crowded out by pretty everything else in Cameron's CV.

Maybe it's because it never got a blu release, but there's been a pretty loud clamour for it over the years. Might just be the web amplifying a niche again though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 'The Abyss', I hope the director's cut is included on the Blu as that was always my preferred version of that film. And on that...

Whether that happens in little ol' Ireland is another thing.

Fair enough, most of the noise I'd have seen was for the The Abyss for the same reasons; that is the lack of a blu ray release. could also be that alongside Aliens is my favourite Cameron movie. Thanks for the heads up on the cinema rerelease, fingers crossed Ireland gets a look in...

A bit of each I think... he came out talking about endemic child abuse relating to some powerful people which I think saw him blackballed fairly young (he's one part of a doc called "An Open Secret" from 2014 that was pretty gross and goes into some fairly horrible practices taking advantage of young actors - a lot of which has since come out more publicly since, like the Bryan Singer stuff). Then on top of that, he's definitely on the eccentric side these days, and also just not many teen stars make that transition.

If he rightly called out child abuse in Hollywood, then you'd think he'd be getting lauded on the back of that, and maybe landing a couple of bigger roles on the back of that goodwill and publicity.

As actors go, he is eccentric, although so is Crispin Glover and he still gets some relatively big gigs.

It's just one of those things I think would be cool to see, where he gets a bit of a comeback.

Yeah in theory, but much like the first people who called out/went against Weinstein, a decade before 'metoo', never professionally recovered, his blackballing years and years ago stopped any progress and effectively ended his career. Even with that though, I don't think he ever made the transition from good child actor to good adult actor... they're very different things, and most can't make that jump. But yeah, it is perhaps a bit surprising not to see a cameo here or there or something. Though I guess none of the properties that made him famous have yet been rebooted. Could yet pop up in a probably-inevitable Lost Boys/Goonies remake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Kinda funny a trailer for a 4k release is only in 1080p lol. Man, I watch those bits and this is very much a case where my favourite Cameron often comes down to whether I'm watching Aliens or The Abyss at that time. No, the latter wasn't a perfect movie - though the director's cut is the superior animal IMO - but there was just something about it that felt like the zenith of Cameron the entertainer + Cameron the tech wizard.

And all it took was psychologically destroying its lead actors, lol. I'd never condone directors behaving like monsters and basically torturing their coworkers for our entertainment ... but ach, sometimes the results make it a hard argument at the same time...

I've never thought that Cameron was a particularly great director, especially of people. But there's an undeniable period in the 80's where he made genuine classics that will live forever. The trio of 'The Terminator', 'Aliens' and 'The Abyss' are peak Cameron AFAIC.

Of course we should also never forget that he helmed 'Piranha II: Flying Killers'. Easily the best flying piranha film ever made. 😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Great that Jimbo finally found the time to approve The Abyss transfer. He’s been talking about it for 10 years.

This is the Willy Wonka I want to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Do actors chose their own pics for IMDB?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There are, I believe, allegations of sexual misconduct/abuse against Feldman himself too. He was removed from a committee on sexual harassment by SAGAftra a few years ago.

Apparently, James Cameron didn't really direct Piranha II...

I was replaced after two-and-a-half weeks by the Italian producer. He just fired me and took over, which is what he wanted to do when he hired me. It wasn't until much later that I even figured out what had happened. It was like, 'Oh, man, I thought I was doing a good job.' But when I saw what they were cutting together, it was horrible. And then the producer wouldn't take my name off the picture because [contractually] they couldn't deliver it with an Italian name. So they left me on, no matter what I did. I had no legal power to influence him from Pomona, California, where I was sleeping on a friend's couch. I didn't even know an attorney. In actual fact, I did some directing on the film, but I don't feel it was my first movie.

Maybe it might have been a better film had he been given a proper shot at directing it, but even then he wasn't working with great material, and so there was probably a glass ceiling on how good his first directing effort could have been.

This makes me think of terrible to average efforts by otherwise great directors. I suppose that a lot of great directors don't have the clout for the kind of creative control they might otherwise want when they first start out, so it's not a huge surprise to see that someone like Stanley Kubrick's first feature wasn't really a standout film at all. In fact, his first three features don't really figure when people talk about his work, unless they're really diving deep into his career.

Sometimes this goes the other way where great directors end up directing average to crappy films later in their career. It's weird to think that Francis Ford Coppola was the one who directed Jack, starring Robin Williams. A pretty forgettable 90s comedy.

Oh dear: Aardman only has enough clay left for one more film, as its former source of the material, based out of Torquay, has closed.

This Plasticine-like substance is an animator’s dream: it’s easy to mould, yet keeps its shape under hot studio lights. But in March this year, the only factory that made it, on the outskirts of Torquay, shut up shop. When its closure was announced, Aardman bought up every last block of Lewis Newplast that remained in the warehouse – enough for just one more film: the new Wallace & Gromit, coming in 2024. After that, until a suitable replacement can be found, or invented, that’s it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

February is going to be a great month to see these films in 4K.

Advertisement