Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meetings and covid

Options
  • 24-01-2021 9:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭

How are you all managing your meetings during the lockdown? My son's (beavers) ones have been cancelled with no contact until they start up again but am hearing others doing zoom meetings etc.
    Are zoom worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How are you all managing your meetings during the lockdown? My son's (beavers) ones have been cancelled with no contact until they start up again but am hearing others doing zoom meetings etc.
    Are zoom worthwhile?

I'm a Beaver leader in Wexford and we have been doing zoom classes predominantly since March. We've only had maybe 3 face to face meetings!

I think the kids have been enjoying it... We've just started a fortnightly zoom and a 2 week challenge since Christmas. We figured they'd have enough computer contact with home schooling on going!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What kind of stuff do you do on zoom? Considering Beavers are 5 - 8 I would have thought they had limited tolerance to sit in front of a camera?

In the process of becoming a leader myself so looking for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Our group has been very quiet recently but are now getting organised to start some more online activities. We did manage a Christmas party online and a couple of other meetings.
    There are lots of good activities available on various scouting facebook groups. Not activities on facebook - just lots of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

You can share your PC screen on zoom so you can set up a quiz or presentation on another app like Kahoot and run that through Zoom. I guess you could even watch outdoor youtube clips or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

I have a PowerPoint set up for every week and share it. We do our prayer our promise and a Beaver chant at the end!
    Depending on what we're doing I might have a link to a YouTube video or instructions for art projects.
    We've done so many things over zoom.... Phases of the moon, science experiments, chocolate mug cakes.... Etc. We'll always add in a game or exercise... They love scavenger hunts... Or dice games to draw anything really.... Christmas trees, pumpkins, horses etc... Or dice games linked to exercises!
    They're open to anything fun!

• Advertisement
Advertisement